The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Wheel well forward molding extension buring from side pipes on my LS ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boss2511 said:
is there any real reason to keep those things on?
NO. The Boss supplement recommends removing them as part of your track prep.

Is there any reason not to remove the rear dust covers and just leave them off? I am guessing a little more dust, but they dust so much anyways I don't think it would really matter.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
CaliMR said:
Is there any reason not to remove the rear dust covers and just leave them off? I am guessing a little more dust, but they dust so much anyways I don't think it would really matter.

Mine have been sitting in a drawer in my garage since day 1

Okay, here's what I found out about these "rear wheel spoilers". They are included on all the 12s, up to and including the GT500s.

The parts guys aren't really even aware that they exsist, but they do and are available through Ford. The cost is $35 for one side and $37 for the other (go figure).

According to a friend of mine at Ford... they're designed to deflect the wind at higher speeds and thus save mileage. My dealer is willing to cover these under warranty, if they melt... as long as I haven't been racing the car.

Just an opinion, but any type of reflection material on these my result in a deflection that you do not want and attaching metal tho the spoilers may act as a heat sink, not to mention the unsightliness. Seems smarter to just remove them.

Just saying.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
I'd like to meet the engineer that did the calculations off the wind tunnel tests that show the deflectors save gas ! ;D

I agree, take 'em off and forget them. It's a good bet they are not on the 2013's.

Dig-It said:
I melted the deflectors on my LS too. I've also seen or heard of this on a few other Boss's out there.

This may be coincidental, but I noticed that some folks that have removed them are also experiencing rear tire failures in the form of the center tread coming apart in chunks. Could there be too much heat from the exhaust pouring on to the rear tire at prolonged WOT?

Even if the two have nothing to do with each other, I'm keeping my deflectors in. I'm also making a heat shield out of some sheet metal to keep them from melting further.

...May be a rationale for x-pipe conversion (Kooks).

Dvendet

Everyone's entitled to my opinion. ;)
I was thinking what might work to cut down on the heat transfer to the tires. How about removing the molding in front of the tire and replace it with an aluminum sheet metal cutout in the same shape of the molding. This would cutdown on the heat directed toward the tires. You could paint them with a heat resistant black paint if you wanted to improve appearance. The aluminum could easily be cut with a sheet metal snips. Sounds like an easy, inexpensive fix.

VABoss

Take them off and forget them. I was told by Ford to pull them off after I melted mine. Now it's even in the supplement to remove them for track use. Do you think they'd put it in the supplement to remove them for track use if they were going to melt your tires? Pull 'em and forget 'em, just like your side exhaust discs :)

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
I'm starting to dread the fact hat I started this thread. JUST TAKE THEM OFF !!! ;D LOL

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel