The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Wheel well forward molding extension buring from side pipes on my LS ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Anyone see this happen ? Noticed it today while cleaning car, only happened on the right side. Looks like exhaust gasses from the side pipe melted the extenion on the wheel well forward molding.

mudflapextension.jpg

Hahaha yep. Melted mine the first track day. They have since recommended removing them in the track prep supplement. Just pull them off and leave them off. They were put in for fuel economy according to an engineer from Ford I asked.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
Yea I see it now, "Remove vertical rear tire spoilers at the rear edge of the rocker moldings".

And how many MPG's were they planning on saving ???? ;D

PeteInCT said:
Yea I see it now, "Remove vertical rear tire spoilers at the rear edge of the rocker moldings".

And how many MPG's were they planning on saving ???? ;D
Those little spoilers were good for .0003 MPG. ;) Mine are safely stored for a future collector to pay big bucks for. LOL. ;D

You know why they save gas? Because they make the car have less drag. Drag is bad. Will you notice a lose in top end? I doubt it.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
5 DOT 0 said:
Grant 302 said:
I can see the classified ads now: "Unmelted Boss Wheel Spats FS"

thanks to the OP for posting pics of the damage.
Welcome to BMO.

I wonder if slightly melted ones will fetch more money? ???

Thanks- They might be worth more to the guy who doesn't want to burn his own...

Maybe Scott will make some stainless replacements... :D

drano38

Wayne
I got mine removed after one track day, before I inflicted any damage on them.
I've got 3/4" side plates in, so maybe that keeps the exhaust flow down to prevent melting them.
Anyone melted them with restricter plates of any size installed?

Dig-It

Kevin
VA
I melted the deflectors on my LS too. I've also seen or heard of this on a few other Boss's out there.

This may be coincidental, but I noticed that some folks that have removed them are also experiencing rear tire failures in the form of the center tread coming apart in chunks. Could there be too much heat from the exhaust pouring on to the rear tire at prolonged WOT?

Even if the two have nothing to do with each other, I'm keeping my deflectors in. I'm also making a heat shield out of some sheet metal to keep them from melting further.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
I took a look again at the distance between pipes and rear rubber - about 6 inches. I guess it's possible if your using very soft slicks and are in a high temp setting that the two possibly could promote too much heat at the center of the rear wheels (which is exactly where it looks like the hot exhaust gases would hit). If this has any truth to it the remark about making metal ones may not be that far off - wish I had a CNC machine ;D

It would be interesting to see if anyone has actually seen an issue with the Pirelli PZero Corsa's. Also if they removed the restrictor plates and/or the vertical rear tire spoilers. They're soft but not as soft as some other tires.

On that note, I wonder if there's going to be a problem with the lower plastic facia also. Maybe it's made out of a higher temp plastic (which is what Ford should have done in the forst place).

Just take them off. Cloud9 recommended it to me so they came off before my first track day.

Pete, keep me updates when you go to VIR. I love that place....

Dig-It said:
I melted the deflectors on my LS too. I've also seen or heard of this on a few other Boss's out there.

This may be coincidental, but I noticed that some folks that have removed them are also experiencing rear tire failures in the form of the center tread coming apart in chunks. Could there be too much heat from the exhaust pouring on to the rear tire at prolonged WOT?

Even if the two have nothing to do with each other, I'm keeping my deflectors in. I'm also making a heat shield out of some sheet metal to keep them from melting further.

I have ran two other types of tires besides the pirellis.... It only happened to the pirelis.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
I'm taking them off today - but I am a little concerned about the additional hot gases hitting the rear tire.....

PeteInCT

Connecticut
Adam,

1) What other tires did it not happen to ?
2) Do you have the restrictor plates out ?
3) What was ambient temp when it happened ?

Thanks - if I'm going to call Ford racing on this i'd like to have as much info as possible.

As for VIR, I hope to go in April - if I can wait that long ;D Otherwise my first event will probably be in early May at LimeRock unless I can find an SCDA or NASA event earlier there. If you like VIR you should try Mont Tremblant in Canada also. AWESOME track, very difficult to drive fast - lots of off-camber turns. The Boss's should do very well there. More 4-offs there than any other track I've been to. So far I've been able to keep all 4 on ;D

PeteInCT

Connecticut
Here's the remains of my right rear tire spoiler. Notice how the melted section wrapped around the slot for the lower molding - leads me to believe that if that plastic isn't of a higher temp variety that it may suffer the same fate as the rear tire spoiler. WHich then begs the question if it's really OK to pull the restrictor plates out and increase exhaust flow this much off the side pipes.

fried_plastic.jpg

Also - when I did take them out I also pulled a whole heap of VIR sand (anyone that's been there will understand) out of the lower molding that was trapped inside. I'm thinking it may make sense to fill that void with something (maybe silicone or a number of coats of spray undercoating ?) just to keep the dirt out. It may help prevent body rot over the years on those corner sections. Any thoughts on this ?

TMO Supporting Vendors