The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

  • Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Wheels: 302R or 302S

Did my research on them. Like the idea of the 302R wheels cause they are wider (10in) vs the 302s (9.5in). I believe the R wheels need spacers.

Does anyone have any input? Looking at getting 18" wheels so I have more tire options and will probably order the P springs at the same time as I have the MM camber plates at my place. So want to do it all at once. Having a hard time figuring out which wheels to get.
Input is appreciated
 
steveespo said:
302 R wheels are 18x10 and don't require spacers, 302S wheels are 19x9F and 19x10R and also don't need spacers.
Steve

There are tow types of 302S wheels. The wheels that come with the car are 19" and are the stock Laguna wheels. There are also FRPP wheels which are 18"x 9.5" on all four corners.

The FRPP 18"x10" rims are drilled for larger studs and require special wheel nuts
The FRPP 18"x9.5" rims use the stock wheel nuts
Neither wheel requires spacers.
 

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Moderator
2,848
13
Connecticut
DD GT3 RD said:
Did my research on them. Like the idea of the 302R wheels cause they are wider (10in) vs the 302s (9.5in). I believe the R wheels need spacers.

Does anyone have any input? Looking at getting 18" wheels so I have more tire options and will probably order the P springs at the same time as I have the MM camber plates at my place. So want to do it all at once. Having a hard time figuring out which wheels to get.
Input is appreciated

DD - Are you looking to run a square setup ?
 

Sesshomurai

PeteInCT said:
Steve - I thought the same until recently. Check out this link, seems like the 302S now has 18" wheels as does the 302R also.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/competition/bosscompare.asp

The 302S that uses the "lagnua seca" wheels are not the same as the 302S wheels. I have the 302S wheels and they are 10" rear.

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelCloseUpServlet?target=runWheelSearch&initialPartNumber=M1007DC199BMF&wheelMake=Ford+Racing&wheelModel=Boss+302S&wheelFinish=Machined+w%2FBlack+Accent&showRear=yes&selectedRear=M1007DC1910BMF&autoMake=Ford&autoModel=Mustang+Boss+302&autoYear=2012&autoModClar=&filterFinish=All&filterSize=All&filterBrand=All&filterSpecial=false&filterNew=All&filterWeight=All&sort=Brand
 
The best way to identify the two 302S wheels is to state 302S BBS wheels. ;)

The 302S and LS wheels are identical except the paint color and probably the part number.

Chris I thought the 302R BBS wheels required a spacer up front to clear the struts?

Will those lug nuts really work? My thought was to buy two 302S BBS 9.5" wide wheels for the front and two 302R BBS 10" wide wheels for the rear but I'm not sure how safe those lug nuts are. Does anyone have experience with them?
 
Guys sorry, let me clarify - in both cases I mean the bbs wheels. One is the 2010 302R 18x10 wheels and the other is also a bbs and looks exactly the same but the FRPP 302s wheel 18x9.5. Both would be square set ups. Figure I could save on tires. Always wanted to try out a square set up too. Let me know
 

Sesshomurai

If you go square with a 9.5/10" front wheel you should(have to) get an adj front sway bar and set it to the stiffest setting....if you plan on tracking.
 
PeteInCT said:
+1 on that - this car won't do well square unless you make some changes.....

darreng505 said:
If you go square with a 9.5/10" front wheel you should(have to) get an adj front sway bar and set it to the stiffest setting....if you plan on tracking.

I have the Hotchkis Sway Bars front and rear right now...back on stiffest and front bar in the middle setting. You think there will be too much oversteer with the square set up?


Also what about Forgestar? I see people with them but are they trustable for track use?
http://www.americanmuscle.com/matte-forgestarf14-18x10-0512.html


to some of the confusion about the wheels, again...

"Guys sorry, let me clarify - in both cases I mean the bbs wheels. One is the 2010 302R 18x10 wheels and the other is also a bbs and looks exactly the same but the FRPP 302s wheel 18x9.5. Both would be square set ups. Figure I could save on tires. Always wanted to try out a square set up too. Let me know"
 

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Moderator
2,848
13
Connecticut
I think it's more than just the sway bars, but I'm definitely not the expert here since I still have the stock LS suspension. Cloud9 has a 302S suspension and still runs staggered. IMO you want a ton of rubber in the rears for punching out of the corners. I have found that my left rear tire takes so much of a beating (more than my left front lately) that I really wouldn't want to swap it forward anyway. What I do is run them down so they have 2 to 4 track days left in them and them swap them left to right. If the balance is still there (rarely) and I know the track is hot/dry I actually run them with the treads reversed since there is little tread anyway on the Nitto's. If the tires really could use a balancing I flip them on the wheels, have them all rebalanced and run them on the opposite side of where they came off of with the treads in the proper direction.

I believe some Forum members use the Forgestar and I haven't heard anything about them disintegrating on the track. In general I think most of the cast wheels these days do the job also. Since my car is a true track rat I personally am not too concerned about the look as much as their weight and strength, hence I went with the Enkei's. After less than a season of use they can use a good powder coating already, the impact wrench does a number on the channels at each wheel nut.
 
I run the 302R BBS wheels on the street and the car has never seen the track. Dean Martin at Rehagen Racing is a good resource on the subject and there are several threads on other forums.

I've run this setup for about 8 months and the greatest advantage to me is the weight of the wheels (20.5 LBS). They really do look cool as well. I am running 275/40 pilot sports as I wanted a taller sidewall. The wheel diameter is slightly less than stock and as a result, the rear of the car looks like the gap between the fender and the tire is slightly more than the stock setup. I would consider using the new to be released Ford Racing springs if they are street able.

As far as I know, you will need to run 1/4" spacers in the front, special larger lug bolts (looks kinda hokey but work just fine) and if you want to run TPMS, special adapters to mount the sensors properly.

It would be a rare occurrence for me to feel a lot of oversteer on the street so as of yet, I have not changed the sways. From a performance standpoint, the weight reduction is dramatic and I could not only feel and improvement in the butt dyno, but the suspension dynamics seemed to have changed for the better. As I said before, they look pretty damn cool too.
 
OffensiveDriver said:
I run the 302R BBS wheels on the street and the car has never seen the track. Dean Martin at Rehagen Racing is a good resource on the subject and there are several threads on other forums.

I've run this setup for about 8 months and the greatest advantage to me is the weight of the wheels (20.5 LBS). They really do look cool as well. I am running 275/40 pilot sports as I wanted a taller sidewall. The wheel diameter is slightly less than stock and as a result, the rear of the car looks like the gap between the fender and the tire is slightly more than the stock setup. I would consider using the new to be released Ford Racing springs if they are street able.

Thanks! Pics please!
 
I ran a square setup with the 302S BBS rims and Bridgestone RE-11 tires. Everything else was stock. Dean from Rehagen said the car would respond well to the simple change. In my case I was happy with the setup. The balance was fine for me, I would even get understeer if I popped the front end up going into the corner.
 
I'm having a problem posting photos even though the file sizes are small. Sorry. I am told there is a way to put center caps in but I have not done so and because I have not, you can see the steel axel in the rear and the dust cap in the front (looks kinda raw but I really don't mind).

I will try to upload some up close pics so you can see the abnormally large lugs which look like they would be at home on a Range Rover...
 
I ran square 9.5s with stock suspension and the car overrotated like crazy. It's drivable but slower IMO (on track). I have been running 18 x 10.5 rear and 18 x 9.5 fronts with the FRPP front bar in the middle setting and it's totally neutral. I'm guessing if I went full stiff on the front bar and pulled the rear bar I'd be able to elminate or more than eliminate the oversteer on a square setup. Bottom line if you're going with the square setup you'll likely want to make some swaybar and/or damper adjustment to dial back the oversteer.
 
OffensiveDriver said:
I'm having a problem posting photos even though the file sizes are small. Sorry. I am told there is a way to put center caps in but I have not done so and because I have not, you can see the steel axel in the rear and the dust cap in the front (looks kinda raw but I really don't mind).

I will try to upload some up close pics so you can see the abnormally large lugs which look like they would be at home on a Range Rover...
See post #2 at the link below for tips on posting photos here. Hint: you'll need to use an external photo hosting site.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/boss-302-general-forum/a-tip-for-reading-boss-mustangs-online/
 

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel
Top