The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

When are Michelin PSC2 done?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Francisco
I have Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 FP tires on my GT350. After four track days (2 Laguna Seca, 1 Thunderhill West, 1 Sonoma) I am down to 3/32” in the front and 4/32” in the rear. New for these tires is 5.5/32” in the front and 6/32” in the rear.

I have a day at Thunderhill East with NorCal Shelby SAAC and another day at Sonoma coming up. At my current wear rate (0.5/32” per day) I think I can make it through both of these with my current tires.

When do you replace your PSC2s? Do you replace when you see cords or at the wear bars (2/32”) or earlier?

957B2F14-8426-4E34-8EC5-FB75BC9768CA.jpeg

27476FD9-4DA4-43C0-8736-1580D057745C.jpeg

Not familiar with the street type Michelins but the race slicks you can run down to the cords before they let go. At Sebring a few years ago we double (and maybe triple) stinted a set of Michs at Sebring and ran them down to the cords. Michelins are stupid expensive, but they do have a great tire that you can pretty much kill at the track,
Just for a reference, the pit stops are approximately 50 minutes, so that's when we do a tire change unless there is a splash and go deal. That's why so many guys are standing in line to buy take offs. The way the rules are written, you are limited to 5 sets / weekend, so every time you go down pit road with scuffs of stickers, it doesn't matter, that counts as a set, so you might as well sticker up all day long.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I noticed one tire's outside edge appears a lot more worn than the other. Have you switched them side to side , or taken them off the rim and remounted to add more life? I know when I ran SC2s the issue was that they wore well to a point, but some tracks destroyed them where once the outside edge was gone they ended their life. The question you brought up has two concerns I see:
1. Do you have a second set of tires or are you driving to the track and back?
2. Is Sonoma still rough on tires, because I would not think the Michelins would make both track weekends.

I have not heard of a repave of Sonoma so I am not aware if things are better , but the Tire Guru ( Blacksheep 1 ) has experience there and I know he and some of my California friends have mentioned Sonoma as not being the most tire friendly.

TX
Agree with what's been said. If those are your only tires, I'd scrap them now. But if you have a second of wheels or a tire changer at the track, run them and then swap on the new ones.

TMO Supporting Vendors