The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

  • Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

When can I install my track key

I am planning on purchasing a new boss in the next couple of weeks. My friend just purchased his last week and he indicated the owners manual said you should wait until it reaches 1,000 miles before you install the track key. This may be a stupid question, but can I have my track key installed the day I purchase my new boss, and not use the red key until it reaches 1,000 miles?
Thanks
 

fbbob96

2013 SBY #0750
Sure you can. I had about 450 miles on mine when I did the install. Just make sure they have done a couple before yours,so thay know what there doing. The dealer I bought mine from never did one and wanted two days and about $200 to do it. So I drove about 120 miles to a dealer , who had already done a few. Charged me about $110. Just over an hour to do it.Very happy with the result. All I ever use is the red key.
 
featurecar50 said:
I am planning on purchasing a new boss in the next couple of weeks. My friend just purchased his last week and he indicated the owners manual said you should wait until it reaches 1,000 miles before you install the track key. This may be a stupid question, but can I have my track key installed the day I purchase my new boss, and not use the red key until it reaches 1,000 miles?
Thanks

Ford recommends not tracking the car until you reach 1000 miles, but using the track key is fine.
 
Had the track key done at 250 miles or so. Drove the car every night to get it up to 1000 miles the day before my first track event...with the red key :)
 

unrealford

Mustang owner since 84
521
0
If the dealer is charged $300.00 and then a hrly rate, How are they installing for less then they pay for?
 

NeuRon

2012 500A #1626
108
0
You pay the $302 to the parts dept. for TracKey (or added to your install bill) and then the labor for the install, which is about 1-1.5 hours (depending on dealer). You should get out the door at less than $500 and most likely in the low-mid $400's.
 
Re: Re: When can I install my track key

cbj5259 said:
Ford recommends not tracking the car until you reach 1000 miles, but using the track key is fine.
but the track key is for "track only." I hope no one here is driving with the red key on the street! Might have to report you to "them"

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
 
Re: Re: When can I install my track key

max5ive0 said:
but the track key is for "track only." I hope no one here is driving with the red key on the street! Might have to report you to "them"

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Uh oh...there's those "them" again.

Gray-Alien-Digital-Sculpture_photo_medium-1.png
 
Ive had my car since Nov, 2012 and when I bought it, I didn't get the redkey installed. Since I bought the car, I bought a JLT cold air intake with a tune, but haven't installed it yet. (not sure I want to mess with the warranty) I have about 900 miles on it. Should I activate the redkey or install the intake and tune???
 
DKL said:
Ive had my car since Nov, 2012 and when I bought it, I didn't get the redkey installed. Since I bought the car, I bought a JLT cold air intake with a tune, but haven't installed it yet. (not sure I want to mess with the warranty) I have about 900 miles on it. Should I activate the redkey or install the intake and tune???

At least with the trackey you will still have a fully functional warranty.
 
Hey guys, stupid question, but I never even opened my trac key until today and Ive had my car for 3 months. Im getting it activated tomorrow and today I decided to see what would happen if I tried to use it to start the car. Is the red key suppose to start the vehicle even though it hasnt been activated?
 
DKL said:
Hey guys, stupid question, but I never even opened my trac key until today and Ive had my car for 3 months. Im getting it activated tomorrow and today I decided to see what would happen if I tried to use it to start the car. Is the red key suppose to start the vehicle even though it hasnt been activated?
Black and red key are interchangeable if you haven't yet loaded the software.
 

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
DKL said:
Ive had my car since Nov, 2012 and when I bought it, I didn't get the redkey installed. Since I bought the car, I bought a JLT cold air intake with a tune, but haven't installed it yet. (not sure I want to mess with the warranty) I have about 900 miles on it. Should I activate the redkey or install the intake and tune???
I had the trackey installed. I have since then went with a Steeda CAI and AED tune. If you are worried about warranty go with the trackey if you arent install the CAI and tune.
NeuRon said:
You pay the $302 to the parts dept. for TracKey (or added to your install bill) and then the labor for the install, which is about 1-1.5 hours (depending on dealer). You should get out the door at less than $500 and most likely in the low-mid $400's.
or you can order it from tousley for 220 and get it installed at a dealer and get the whole thing done for less than 350 bucks. thats what I did as have many others.
http://www.tousleyfordparts.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=MorePartInfo&PartID=1105627&siteid=214771&catalogid=5684
 

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel
Top