The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

When can I install my track key

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DKL said:
Ok thanks..tomorrow it should be time to put the black key away ;D

I use the black exclusively. Getting the program when spring comes. I am guarding against losing or damaging the red key in the mean time. There a post here where a guy had his red key destroyed when he lost in a parking lot and someone drove over it. I'm also just trying to keep it pretty until I can actually use it. Good luck.

Can't stress enough the need for the dealer to know what they're doing! I'm having to go back a 3rd time because I believed the dealer when he said he would order the voucher and program. Twice they've claimed to have programmed the key, and haven't. You're better off ordering the voucher yourself and finding a dealer that has already programmed a Trackey or two.

Wait...your dealer told you all they had to do was program the key?! It takes about an hour to an hour and a half and they will need your car there to do the program. The tune is downloaded to the car, not the key. They key just activates the tune.

Fiddler49 said:
No, they knew they had to have the car and key, but what they thought they were programming, I have no clue...neither did they. :eek:

Wow.. yeah definitely call around and find a dealer who has done a few already. When I started researching the dealers I got responses like "what's a trackey?" and "Oh yeah.. sure, I think we have a guy who can handle that." I called about 6 area dealerships until i found one where the service manager actually knew what the trackey was and even told me how many his technician had programmed.

Well, I waited around the dealership for 2 hours today and then the tech told me that something was wrong with the program, that the vehicle was not accepting the download. He said he thought it was a problem with ford's website. Now, he did tell me not to use the red key now because it was activated but the tune was not in the car and if I did use the red key, it would run bad...does this sound close to be true?

"Ive had my car since Nov, 2012 and when I bought it, I didn't get the redkey installed. Since I bought the car, I bought a JLT cold air intake with a tune, but haven't installed it yet. (not sure I want to mess with the warranty) I have about 900 miles on it. Should I activate the redkey or install the intake and tune???"

For what it is worth, on Jay Leno's Garage website, there is a video with Jay and the lead engineer from Ford. Jay asked him a question about after-market intakes, and the Ford Exec told him you won't see any performance gain from the one Ford puts on these cars, by going to an after-market intake. He said the older Mustangs were easily improved, but not these new ones. Hype or Fact, you decide.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
DKL said:
Well, I waited around the dealership for 2 hours today and then the tech told me that something was wrong with the program, that the vehicle was not accepting the download. He said he thought it was a problem with ford's website. Now, he did tell me not to use the red key now because it was activated but the tune was not in the car and if I did use the red key, it would run bad...does this sound close to be true?
sounds like it could be.

Justin

Fixy said:
"Ive had my car since Nov, 2012 and when I bought it, I didn't get the redkey installed. Since I bought the car, I bought a JLT cold air intake with a tune, but haven't installed it yet. (not sure I want to mess with the warranty) I have about 900 miles on it. Should I activate the redkey or install the intake and tune???"

For what it is worth, on Jay Leno's Garage website, there is a video with Jay and the lead engineer from Ford. Jay asked him a question about after-market intakes, and the Ford Exec told him you won't see any performance gain from the one Ford puts on these cars, by going to an after-market intake. He said the older Mustangs were easily improved, but not these new ones. Hype or Fact, you decide.
I have had the trackey and I have a tune for the stock air box from AED and I have a tune for the steeda CAI and I can tell you first hand they are full of !@#$

Justin said:
I have had the trackey and I have a tune for the stock air box from AED and I have a tune for the steeda CAI and I can tell you first hand they are full of !@#$

Justin, are you saying the tech with Leno is full of it, or the companies that sell and claim more hp by adding the intake and tune?

Justin

I am saying the tech with Leno. why would he say "yeah after market makes better stuff?" he wouldnt.

the stock piece is a good one but there is better.

I dont think you can compare a stock airbox vs. aftermarket when you add in a tune to the aftermarket only. I think Pericak was being truthful, in that gains from CAI would be minimal to nothing for money spent. Ford engineers did their job on this one.

max5ive0 said:
I dont think you can compare a stock airbox vs. aftermarket when you add in a tune to the aftermarket only. I think Pericak was being truthful, in that gains from CAI would be minimal to nothing for money spent. Ford engineers did their job on this one.

If the setup is so good on the boss, then why isn't it used on the gt500?

Justin

max5ive0 said:
not true. I have a tune that I use with the stock air box. I have these things I have tried them. I am not guessing. the CAI is worth power (if it is one that is sized that requires a tune). Anyone want to come by I can put the stock air box one load the redkey go for a drive. load an aed tune with stock air box and go for a drive then strap on my steeda CAI and load an aed tune for it and go for a drive. then you can tell me what you think.

The Ford engineer didn't say anything about a tune. He said CAI. I haven't seen anyone make appreciable gains by just adding a CAI. Everyone who shows up to make a claim always throws in a tune, as if it didn't matter. ::)

Justin

Jimmy Pribble said:
The Ford engineer didn't say anything about a tune. He said CAI. I haven't seen anyone make appreciable gains by just adding a CAI. Everyone who shows up to make a claim always throws in a tune, as if it didn't matter. ::)
you are correct because you cant do a CAI that will give you gains because its bigger and requires a tune. if you do a no tune required CAI you are buying it just for looks. the Steeda CAI is huge. I have pics of its size compared to stock
602568_451220364910540_881422688_n.jpg

553756_451221368243773_1332262832_n.jpg

315473_451221271577116_1213063694_n.jpg

531200_451221114910465_857048545_n.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors