The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

When is a bumpsteer kit needed?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sesshomurai

I lowered my car, but won't track it until Oct 6-7. I want to understand what to look for on the track to know if a bumpsteer kit is needed to correct it. What are the situations I should keep an eye out for, so I know when they happen.

Thanks.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
If you have substantially lowered your vehicle chances are you have introduced bump steer. What is bump steer? Bump Steer is changes in toe caused by suspension movement.

Every car has bump steer, however when you lower the vehicle you increase the amount of bump steer that occurs, if this becomes excessive you will begin to notice some unwanted vehicle driving characteristics.

When you turn your steering wheel you are essentially changing the toe of the wheels to turn the vehicle. Excessive bump steer is undesireable because it introduces unwanted steering inputs which means the suspension is steering the car instead of the driver.

If your car is lowered and has tracking issues and less predictable steering behavior, you need a bump steer kit.

Steeda's Bump Steer Kits will allow you to correct your bump steer geometry and can do so without requiring you to drill or modify your vehicle spindle.

In addition, our bump steer kit makes a great service replacement for your worn out, high mileage outer tie rods even if you do not have excessive bump steer issues.

Pick up a bump steer kit today and refresh your outer tie rods and improve your steering.

Got that from here
http://www.steeda.com/store/steeda-bumpsteer-kit-for-ford-mustang.html

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
I have a BS kit from Maximum Motorsports sitting in my garage right now. The front suspension is now an inch lower than stock, and on the track I don't notice any adverse effects. I'm certainly not an expert on bumpsteer but my performance and steering feel do not seem negatively affected. I haven't decided if or when I will install my kit.

What I DO know is that from my own online research that bumpsteer was very prevalent when lowering the SN95 cars but much of this has been corrected for the S197; I'm sure there is still room for improvement but your car is not going to fly off the track if you don't have this.

And of course Steeda recommends bump steer kits, they probably sell the shiznit out of them.

Sesshomurai

Yeah. So I was wondering what those adverse steering conditions would actually be while on the track. Which is why I chose the racing forum originally. Lol

It's still a technical question.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Bumpsteer kit is basically a taller lower control arm ball joint or modified control arm with a higher ball joint mounting point. As the spring is shorter and makes the static lower CA angle rise up, the taller ball joint pushes the Control arm back down bringing the static angle back to stock or close to it. It is sort of a rear LCA relocation bracket for the front. I have 1" drop springs and don't notice any adverse affects without it, with 2" drop I would get them as the ball joint would be closer to bind condition during compression and could fail prematurely. A real good suspension shop can plot the camber, caster and toe changes during suspension travel and make alignment and hardware recommendations, big $$$ though.
Steve

TMO Supporting Vendors