The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

When Rims are Wheels , or how to spoil Blacksheep's Thanksgiving Weekend!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Ahhh, the English language, constantly changing, adapting to the nuances of how humans converse and after a period of time, not only do we see changes , we find that some words are so ingrained in common print or conversation that they become ...............................correct in their vernacular!!!

I was checking on the tire pressure on my 2022 Ram Laramie Crew Cab, as I would be pulling a trailer soon and I remembered the tire pressure was different than on my 2014. In viewing the pressure recommended when cold I noticed it described my wheel size, ...............except...........it stated them as ....................rims!!! Now I know my buddy Blacksheep 1 would scream , " Them damn Dodge Boys are morons , so who cares if they are ignorant on what those tires are mounted on." Well, just out of curiosity , I decided to check out the Mach 1 and opening the door I looked to see what was listed for tire size, pressure and wheel size , but, er...................Ford listed the items used to mount the 305 and 315 tyres on as ..............rims, yep, rims!!

So, we have Automotive proof that a wheel on a car/truck is a rim, hence a rim and a wheel are synonymous in the changing World of the English Language.

Sorry to ruin your weekend BS1, but you are still the " Tire Guru" and I just could not resist, though I will agree a fast driver would love to be called a " Wheelman " though I really doubt very, very few would like the moniker of a " RimMan, " haha!

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
KC
Ahhh, the English language, constantly changing, adapting to the nuances of how humans converse and after a period of time, not only do we see changes , we find that some words are so ingrained in common print or conversation that they become ...............................correct in their vernacular!!!

I was checking on the tire pressure on my 2022 Ram Laramie Crew Cab, as I would be pulling a trailer soon and I remembered the tire pressure was different than on my 2014. In viewing the pressure recommended when cold I noticed it described my wheel size, ...............except...........it stated them as ....................rims!!! Now I know my buddy Blacksheep 1 would scream , " Them damn Dodge Boys are morons , so who cares if they are ignorant on what those tires are mounted on." Well, just out of curiosity , I decided to check out the Mach 1 and opening the door I looked to see what was listed for tire size, pressure and wheel size , but, er...................Ford listed the items used to mount the 305 and 315 tyres on as ..............rims, yep, rims!!

So, we have Automotive proof that a wheel on a car/truck is a rim, hence a rim and a wheel are synonymous in the changing World of the English Language.

Sorry to ruin your weekend BS1, but you are still the " Tire Guru" and I just could not resist, though I will agree a fast driver would love to be called a " Wheelman " though I really doubt very, very few would like the moniker of a " RimMan, " haha!
If "Steering Rim" ever becomes a thing, I am dusting off my golf clubs.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I actually agree with BS1, I just found it ironic that Manufacturers list the rim size and not the wheel size on their information specs inside the driver's door area. The words have become synonymous , yet one has to believe the beginning of the commingling of the two terms came from a wheel being considered the entire assembly of tire and rim. Though the rim was used as a portion of the wheel, it eventually became the same to many. Not the first word that began describing one thing and becoming another. Just a logical thought about how they might have become two words meaning the same thing to many, when the outside/inside of a wheel are , in actuality the rims -- of a wheel.

We forget that gosh and golly were considered euphemisms for God and actually were still considered ugly slang many , many years ago.

Thank goodness when you have a Margarita the just salt the rim, and not the wheel, haha.

Actually " rim size" is not necessarily incorrect because you are measuring from bead to bead, since you can't do that in practice, you measure the " rim" and subtract 1 inch for the actual wheel size. 14 in wheel having a " rim" size of 15 inch and so on.
Keep in mind these are the same folks calling trailing arms " control arms" when virtually every car guy knows trailing arms run , north or south, control arms run east and west. Same thing with leading arms, which very few people use anymore, last scene on the Foxbodys as the " quad shock", that could be considered a leading arm, but those " triangulated 4 link" designs made the old Corvair suspensions look futuristic by comparison.

I put Tyres on my rims all the tyme!
I put Tyres on my rims all the tyme!
I agree, tires (and tyres) mount to rims. Tire beads lock on to the rim. A rim does not have the ability to be mounted to the wheel studs, rims don’t have offsets. A wheel consists of multiple parts (or features). Example would be a 2 piece wheel which consists of a rim (or barrel) and a center section. The center section is what mounts to the hub/studs retained with lug nuts. The offset is created in the center section and rim alignment on the center section. That resulting assembly is a wheel.

The banter generated by bs1, BillP and others on this subject is fun to watch.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Blacksheep knows I think he is the " Tire Guru " and I hold him in high esteem for his knowledge on race slicks and Hoosiers, and it is just in good fun that I tease him a little on his personal dislike of how folks use the term rims , when talking about wheels. I was and English Minor in College so I often view how word meanings have changed in my lifetime, or how they are used in certain parts of the US, so a little ribbing ( is there a rib on a wheel or part thereof? ) is fun on this site. I am quite sure he will get back at me sometime in the future..........................drum roll , with ...........rim shot!!

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Here's a pic of a " split rim wheel".

View attachment 81487
Back in the day, I worked in a shop which had the impression of a split ring in the ceiling. The ring came off while filling the tire. Tech was filling remotely with a locking air chuck and regulator. The ring came off and damaged the inside of the concrete roof. That left an impression. :ohdamn:

Back in the day, I worked in a shop which had the impression of a split ring in the ceiling. The ring came off while filling the tire. Tech was filling remotely with a locking air chuck and regulator. The ring came off and damaged the inside of the concrete roof. That left an impression. :ohdamn:
I responded to 2 similar calls on FD, both had negative outcomes

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Back in the day when I was a cop a local mechanic lost his life when that happened. He was leaning over it when it let go, it wasn't pretty. Have stayed away from anyone mounting split rims since then. They are to be taken very seriously.

TMO Supporting Vendors