The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

When will you be replacing your Pirelli's? And with what?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seca954 said:
RoushF150 said:
I replaced mine with Mickey Thompson Street Comps.

DSCN0242.jpg

How do you like the M/T's on the street? Are they noisier than the Pirellis? How are they in the rain? Do you reccomend them?

Very quiet running tire. I don't drive in the rain but my Son was involved in the wet road testing they had in Texas prior to the release of the tire and they outperformed the tires they compared to. (I should not mention them but they were brands that people on this forum talk about) I can not give anyone a recommendation if they track the car because I do not and would probable drive off the track even with slicks.

I have 16,001 miles and three track days on the original tires. My car was in for service last week and the dealer finally marked them as "yellow." These things are wearing like iron, which makes sense because they are about as sticky as iron.

Anyway, I tend to drive on tires until there is cord air showing, so I expect I will order replacements towards the end of the year or maybe in the new year. I hate spending big money on tires and if I'm going to do it, it's going to be for track rubber. Don't worry, I won't go RoadHandler or anything like that, but I have had very good luck with both Hankook and Kumho, so I expect I will go with one of those brands and apply my savings to the track bucket. ;)

Jimmy

I'm not anywhere close to needing tires yet but when the time comes i'm going with either. the Hankook Ventus V12's, Sumitomo HTR ZIII, or Kumho Ecsta SPT's and thats in the order I want them too.

I want to go 888 for the street, I loved them on my other car. They got too greasy on the track. If I do, I'll have to figure out rims too.

ufnavy06

Some say he has a tattoo of his face on his face.
I loved my Nittos on my '06 GT. I'm not sure if they make the type I had in our size, but I'll have to check. I shouldn't have to replace the tires though until I move out the Cali, so almost 2 years into ownership.

I need to start researching winter wheels and tires, as the boss will be driven year round.
if anyone has any experience with winter tires and sizes, lmk.

F.D. Sako said:
I need to start researching winter wheels and tires, as the boss will be driven year round.
if anyone has any experience with winter tires and sizes, lmk.

I have a set of Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60 255/40/19 on Ford Racing 9" x 19" Black Track Pack wheels for the colder months:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Blizzak+LM-60&partnum=54HR9LM60XL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=12298

If you need studded snows you might want to consider the Pirelli Winter Carving Edge:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=Winter+Carving+Edge&partnum=54TR9WCEXL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

George

SBY LS330 said:
No love for the Bridgestone S-04 PPs? ??? Top-ranked in our size in the Max Performance survey at tirerack.com, although based on only 200k miles (versus 12m miles for the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2).

I read on a forum (perhaps here) that someone was selling his PZero Corsas to put on some S-04s. Are there people out there that purchase slightly worn Corsas? Right now, as I'm getting used to driving my LS, I feel the Corsas are a wasted shame for me. :-\

Potenza S-04 Pole Position all day, and it is much cheaper than our POS Pzero.

drano38

Wayne
I run the track square, Nitto NT-05 275/40/18 on Enkei 18x9.5, 35mm offset.
Next up are same tire in 285/35. Will find out this weekend if they clear the front strut--they should.
I like square on the track for front/back rotations to get max tire life.
I've got Strano front/rear bars installed.
Did a short autocross last weekend with stock tires--under-steered big-time since my bars are set for square. No big deal though--I don't push the car hard on the street--that's what track days are for. ;D
My stock tires are pretty beat up on the outer edge from 5 track days last year. I'll replace them with a reasonable priced tire when they wear out, and put the savings in the track bucket like Jimmy said.

I did some research and realized the S-04s are pretty heavy. About 4lbs per tire over most other brands. Doesn't sound like a big deal but that's a lot at each corner. People pay big money to drop precious pounds of unstrung weight with lightweight wheels, brakes etc.

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
drano38 said:
My stock tires are pretty beat up on the outer edge from 5 track days last year. I'll replace them with a reasonable priced tire when they wear out, and put the savings in the track bucket like Jimmy said.

The Ventus tires from tirerack w/o shipping are;

Set of 4: $832.00

After mail-in rebate: $752.00

Let us know know how they feel!

After doing a little more investigating I realized that the g-Force Sport COMP-2 is not on the same performance level as the Conti DW's, Potenza S-04 or the PS2. I'm leaning toward the Potenza S-04 or Conti's because they seem to deliver more bang for the buck, There's a ~$700 difference in price for the Conti's and around ~$600 for the S-04's vs the PS2. So I'll strike the PS2's and the g-force from my list.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel