The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

When will you be replacing your Pirelli's? And with what?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I've got about 10500 miles on my car since July 2011, now I need to start thinking about new shoe's for the Boss. I've got about 2000 miles left on them before wet roads start to get tricky. Just wondering what everyone else is looking at.

Good question. Mine will probably make it until winter, but I'll need new ones next spring and I haven't given it much thought. I go through a couple sets of track tires a month but don't really want to spend $450 a tire for Pirelli street tires lol.

Tflong24 said:
I want to go with Michelin PSS, but they don't have them in our stock sizes, so will probably go with PS2s.
The PSS and Yokohama AD08's come in 265/35/19 and 295/30/19 but should work fine. I like the idea of a slightly wider tire but they might not be the best option for a DD.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
5 DOT 0 said:
b17drvr said:
I'm going with the BFG Sport Comp II
Those look promising and the rears should be available any day now.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=g-Force+Sport+COMP-2&frontTire=54WR9GFSPC2&rearTire=835WR9GFSPC2&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Those are on the top of my list. But also considering the PSS and the new M/T Street Comp.

My stock GT tires (same as the Boss fronts) only lasted 6,000 miles. I'm not expecting to go as far on the Boss tires.

fbbob96

2013 SBY #0750
I'm going to research the BFGoodrich sport comp tires. The wear rating is 340,which is very high for a tire. Have to see how the handling is and use for a DD.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
I think I will go with either the new Mickey thompson tires or the contential ExtremeContact DW

I will replace them when the stock ones are wore out

http://www.americanmuscle.com/mickey-thompson-comp-255-40-19.html

http://www.americanmuscle.com/mickey-thompson-comp-285-35-19.html

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findTireDetailStaggered.do?1=1&mps=-50&yr=2012&pc=26970-26598&vid=020367&sw=false

I've had good luck with Sumi HTR ZIIIs... they're an excellent "compromise" street/track tire.

Ran them on my '96 Porsche 993 and liked them a lot. Low noise and decent ride on the street. On the track, as long as they were not overinflated they were surprisingly grippy despite a 300 wear rating (overinflated they'd run too hot and get greasy like any street tire). Decent wear, too... 993s are notorious for chewing up rear tires in a hurry, and I had about 6 days of DE and maybe 5k street miles on my Sumis... running -1.5 deg front and -2deg rear camber and the rears still had at least 70% tread left; the fronts were barely worn at all. They're reasonably priced, too, compared to the big-name brands.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Sumitomo&tireModel=HTR+Z+III

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
dabossinne said:
I've had good luck with Sumi HTR ZIIIs... they're an excellent "compromise" street/track tire.

Ran them on my '96 Porsche 993 and liked them a lot. Low noise and decent ride on the street. On the track, as long as they were not overinflated they were surprisingly grippy despite a 300 wear rating (overinflated they'd run too hot and get greasy like any street tire). Decent wear, too... 993s are notorious for chewing up rear tires in a hurry, and I had about 6 days of DE and maybe 5k street miles on my Sumis... running -1.5 deg front and -2deg rear camber and the rears still had at least 70% tread left; the fronts were barely worn at all. They're reasonably priced, too, compared to the big-name brands.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Sumitomo&tireModel=HTR+Z+III
hmm I have these on a set of black bullit wheels in 18" and they ssssuuuuuuuuuuccccccckkkkkkkkk!!!!!! makes the car ride like a truck they are loud and they grip like I am driving on ice.....and that was in a 06 GT. And the turn in on those tires was horrible. There isnt one good thing I can say about those tires.....

I've seen some positive stuff on the BFGoodrich g-Force Sport COMP-2 tires. I think I've got enough time to see what kind of reviews pop up after they are out for a while. The price is right, and if they are as good as they say they are then I'm in. I know I won't buy the Pirelli's, never did like them. Had them on my other car, they just seem mediocre and not worth it.

Something that can be flipped on the rim would be nice, as my shoulders are wearing way faster than the rest on the fronts. Part of that is the stock alignment though.

The problem with finding tires to serve double duty on the street and the track, are the compromises that result. There's just is no way you can find one DOT-spec tire that does everything well. Regardless of what tire you choose, you're going to compromise on some aspect or combination of wear, wet (or dry) traction, ride, noise, etc. Really, the best answer is to bite the bullet (or wallet) and buy a dedicated track wheel set mounted with R compound DOTs or race slicks.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
dabossinne said:
The problem with finding tires to serve double duty on the street and the track, are the compromises that result. There's just is no way you can find one DOT-spec tire that does everything well. Regardless of what tire you choose, you're going to compromise on some aspect or combination of wear, wet (or dry) traction, ride, noise, etc. Really, the best answer is to bite the bullet (or wallet) and buy a dedicated track wheel set mounted with R compound DOTs or race slicks.

Amen.

No love for the Bridgestone S-04 PPs? ??? Top-ranked in our size in the Max Performance survey at tirerack.com, although based on only 200k miles (versus 12m miles for the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2).

I read on a forum (perhaps here) that someone was selling his PZero Corsas to put on some S-04s. Are there people out there that purchase slightly worn Corsas? Right now, as I'm getting used to driving my LS, I feel the Corsas are a wasted shame for me. :-\

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
CaliMR said:
Something that can be flipped on the rim would be nice, as my shoulders are wearing way faster than the rest on the fronts. Part of that is the stock alignment though.

This is one reason why I'm interested in the Sport Comp 2s. The fronts could be flipped and swapped L-R since they're directional. All the asymmetrical tires are a biznitch to deal with on a staggered setup when you're trying to dial in your desired camber.

What I'd really like is a matched set of tires for our cars that are asymmetrical on the rears and directional on the fronts.

TMO Supporting Vendors