The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

When your Boss gets towed by an idiot

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This is what happens when a brainless tow truck tries to yank you from an off-track position at a 70 degree angle. Nothing like a track worker looking at your twisted tow hook that just ripped your lower grille and saying "think you might need a new hook". Yes I did.

IMG_0647.JPG

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
That oughtta buff right out...

This was a first-design Blowfish hook. It worked the first time I needed it at Pocono when I had to be pulled up on to a rollback. This time was at NJMP. I slid off track and just couldn't get traction to move. So instead of pulling directly in front of me the idiot backs in at an angle (in a hurry) and just abruptly yanks the car to get it moving and that was it. I thought about welding but it was to twisted and I don't want to take any chances. So this was an expensive little off.
Anybody need a spare hook?

I wonder if that is why they re-designed that hook setup?

I imagine any amount of side force would tweak that bracket a little and stress the hell out of those two welds.

I currently use a Sparco tow hook (strap) bolted to the frame using a bolt for the bumper beam.

I currently use a Sparco tow hook (strap) bolted to the frame using a bolt for the bumper beam.

I had planned to get the Ford Racing bumper bar and tow hook but decided I didn't want a hole in the bumper. Why I don't know. So I went with the Blowfish again.

I had planned to get the Ford Racing bumper bar and tow hook but decided I didn't want a hole in the bumper. Why I don't know. So I went with the Blowfish again.

Yeah...i have a hole in my bumper in a location that no other tow hook on the market would allow the re-use of that hole. Now that i want a steel tow hook instead of a nylon strap, i have to make another hole in my bumper, or create my own tow hook setup to utilize the hole in my bumper.

Or i can say screw it and slap a sticker over the old hole?

TMO Supporting Vendors