The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Where can i buy/sell/trade coilover springs?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have some 550 fr and 250 rr springs off my AST 4150's im looking to sell or trade. Trying to spring it 450 fr and 175 rr. Any good race car forum recommendations where i might be able to make this happen?

Also if you happen to have 450# 60mm 7" front springs and 175# 2-1/4" 8" rears for sale id be glad to take them off your hands.

Thanks guys.

racer47

Still winning after 30+ years
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
SE WI
Last edited:
Yeah the standard spec length for Vorshlag AST springs are 7" front and 8" rear. Ive been shopping new but im hoping i can find a good set of used springs or even better just do a straight trade. My car is a street car and i would prefer lower rates.
ast_zpsfpliyjaw.jpg

racer47

Still winning after 30+ years
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
SE WI
That's an 8" rear with higher spring rates. If you go to a 175 lb spring you will need a 9" tall spring.
800 lbs / 250 lbs/in = 3.2" compression on the spring
800 lbs / 175 lbs/in = 4.6" or 1.4" more adjustment needed on the coil spring adjuster for the same ride ht
I doubt that you have that much room for adjustment.

Also why go with AST 4150's for the street? Thats pretty pricey compared to trying to save money on $70 springs.

Racer thank you for the math on the springs, i certainly did not take that into consideration. You rock

As for AST's for the street, that i can answer. They are excellent values used($1400 with plates and endlinks in my case), and perform better then everything else in their price range. They have the lowest amount of compromise due to their DDP piston compared to other similarly priced options. They have excellent ride quality with high bypass maintaining street comfort and while maintaining good low speed dampening to maintain handling. I get to have my cake and eat it to.

Either way i have no problem buying $300 set of springs if needed. You might have the wrong impression. I figured these springs might be readily available used from guys swapping out rates often.

Thanks again for the spring math though that was very helpful.

Last edited:

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I figured these springs might be readily available used from guys swapping out rates often.
FWIW, I think more of the 2.5" I.D. springs are more available around here. I didn't know the ASTs ran 2.25" I.D. There haven't been that many transactions for either.

TMO Supporting Vendors