The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Where do I start? DD & Track, non-competative fun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolvee

Full Time Nerd
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Historic Triangle
Hey everyone. In December I pick up a '16 S550 PP GT. I've been going to the local AutoCross's (PSA & SCCA) but have yet to run, as there always seems to be something that prevents me from playing along. Ideally I'd like to work my way onto the big tracks again but my skill level is zero since it's been so long since I've gotten to race.

Is there a sticky or place to start to give me an idea what to avoid on this platform or things I'd need for the car to spend weekends on the track?

Currently the car has:
Roush squared 9.5"x20 wheels with 295 Nitto NT555's (hate the wheels & just Meh on the tires btu they are Ok for DD.)
Steeda Progressive Springs
Steeda Adjustable Shocks & Struts
Steeda IRS Alignment Bushings, Black IRS Diff Bushings & Trans bushing.
Amsoil Cocktail for the MT-82

I know it'll never be a full dedicated Track car.

Mustang Pair.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Wolvee

Full Time Nerd
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Historic Triangle
Thank you for the Welcomes and the link!

Yes a lot of my friends do Autocross which is why I've been going at some of the events. Nothing any bigger though.

One thing I am worried about though is the stock clutch, do these MT-82's all feel like it doesn't grab as well as it should down low? I was thinking it's either a weak clutch or I'm feeling the lack of bottom end power from the Coyote. My last project was a 92 2v and both trans I had in that (T-45 & T56) didn't feel this weak down low.

US
Trans will be fine. You wont even be shifting on the road course with your skill level. You will leave it in 3rd and go. Might move up or down a gear depending on the track. You will be concentrating on learning the "line" and not be worrying about going fast. You will be learning how to look up a turn or 2 ahead of where you are. You will be learning car balance and braking points. The trans and motor wont be working hard at all. Just make sure you have 50% pads left at least and tires are inflated properly and go. Go with a club that provides an instructor in your car to help you learn the track. They will let you know when you are ready/ safe to go on your own. It will take you probably a couple weekends of instruction to get the dynamics down. Then it really gets fun. Seat time is the key. Its always an eye opener when you let the instructor drive your car in a session later on sunday. You will think you are doing great and getting fast---- then they take you out and show you just how deficient you are still. LOL-- its great

I agree with @Drlee50 abive. Worry about the trans and clutch when needed. If you start having issues shifting address the clutch issue immediately to avoid damage to the trans.

Norm Peterson

Corner Barstool Sitter
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
a few miles east of Philly
Thank you for the Welcomes and the link!

Yes a lot of my friends do Autocross which is why I've been going at some of the events. Nothing any bigger though.

One thing I am worried about though is the stock clutch, do these MT-82's all feel like it doesn't grab as well as it should down low? I was thinking it's either a weak clutch or I'm feeling the lack of bottom end power from the Coyote. My last project was a 92 2v and both trans I had in that (T-45 & T56) didn't feel this weak down low.
Actually, HPDE can be easier on the clutch than autocross even though your seat time at HPDE is many times greater. The reason is that at HPDE you drive away down pit lane very much like you do in normal street driving, except you'll probably run 1st out a little further than you typically do in most of your street driving. It's nothing at all like drag racing or even an autocross start.

Once out there, you won't use 1st and shouldn't be shifting harshly. Kind of like a brisk drive in the country without the speed enforcement. You'll eventually find a happy rev range to run in, high enough up to have good response, and you'll learn where on the track you'll be shifting to keep the revs between that and a comfortable (for you) amount of revs short of too many. One thing to keep in mind is that slow speeds in a corner don't have to mean you need to be in a gear that puts the revs high up in the power band - the fact that you're using a substantial amount of rear grip for cornering means that you have that much less available for forward acceleration and you might not even be able to use wide-open throttle in the higher gear until you're going at a speed that would require you to be in that higher gear even in a perfectly straight line.

Norm

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel