The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Where to measure oil temp from

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

If you are asking about the stock oil cooler, I am not sure there is enough room. At least with the stock cooler plumbing. When I was under there, the cooler lines were very close to touching the sway bar. I still plan on still installing a sandwich plate for temp and pressure sensors, but after I replace the hard lines with some flexible hose. I am hoping that will fix the leaking issue some guys are having with the lines.

id rather do it before and after. using a toggle to go between the two knowing how efficient the cooler is at any given weather or track condition.

steve-o

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Correct me if I am wrong, but.

I believe the oil goes in to the center of the filter, flows through the media and out the smaller holes just inside the gaskets.

If this is correct, the oil flows from the pump through the center of the factory cooler without being cooled, through the filter and then through the factory cooler then on to the engine to lubricate and cool the engine.

Adding a sandwich plate then simple moves oil from the pump through he center of the factory cooler (no cooling) through the sandwich plate and on to the filter or add on air to oil cooler if installed.

This would make me believe that if I install the temp sensor in the sandwich plate before it hands to the cooler, I have the oil at its warmest point, with possible the exception of in the oil pan.

Can anyone confirm the oil does flow through the filter center to outside?

Regards

I believe the oil flows thru the cooler first, then the outside of the filter to center, then back into the engine. See the attached PDF. There is an oil flow schematic on page 6. It does not show the Boss cooler, but it does show flow of oil going from outside to inside in the filter.

[pdf]http://www.fordracingparts.com/download/instructionsheets/FordInstShtM-6007-A50SC.pdf[/pdf]

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
The sump is the best place to see the oil temp after it circulates past the bearings and over the cams/valve springs. I pick up mine in the sandwich plate on the side where the oil enters the filter, this is out of the pump but through the Ford oil/water cooler. In reality the overall cooling loop gives a good indicator of what the parts are seeing temp wise. If you had no oil cooler you may see temps of 290 at the filter or maybe 300 at the sump, not really a big deal, both are too hot for oil life and performance over the long term. With an air to oil cooler in series I see 240-245 max temp over a 20-25 minute session, If its 250-260 in the sump it really doesn't matter that is still in a fairly good range for full synthetics to operate.
Fact is if you knew what your gear oil is running at during a summer session you would really worry. Before I added a cooler I saw temps of 300 at Watkins Glen during a 90 degree August weekend. Follow Ford's gear, trans and engine oil recommendations in the Boss 302 Track Supplement, it will save or at least prolong the tme between overhauls.
Steve

06mach1 said:
I believe the oil flows thru the cooler first, then the outside of the filter to center, then back into the engine. See the attached PDF. There is an oil flow schematic on page 6. It does not show the Boss cooler, but it does show flow of oil going from outside to inside in the filter.

[pdf]http://www.fordracingparts.com/download/instructionsheets/FordInstShtM-6007-A50SC.pdf[/pdf]

Interesting read, first time I've come across Ford or anyone else for that matter publish a max oil temp. From my own research I concluded 280 was max and 250 or less preferred. Thanks for posting.

If I am interpreting that diagram correctly, the passenger side cylinder head water outlet is small and goes to the heater core. Fine. BUT then the coolant comes right back into the water pump, bypassing the radiator! :eek: Shenanigans!

TMO Supporting Vendors