The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Where to measure oil temp????

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have read past posts that suggest using the sump...oil level indicator repurposed...or on a sandwich plate...since my Sandwich plate doesn’t have a port I was going to use a 10AN adapter with a port coming off the plate...so I have the thought..do I want to know the temp of the oil after the air to oil cooler or before? Am I overthinking this...any thoughts? Thanks

I have read past posts that suggest using the sump...oil level indicator repurposed...or on a sandwich plate...since my Sandwich plate doesn’t have a port I was going to use a 10AN adapter with a port coming off the plate...so I have the thought..do I want to know the temp of the oil after the air to oil cooler or before? Am I overthinking this...any thoughts? Thanks
Actually a good question. Mine is after the cooler. Fyi Most of sandwich plates have 2 spots for oil temp from and to oil cooler.
In for advice

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

In the V6L
An oil temp gauge is supposed to give you the bulk oil temp in the sump after it's come down from the engine itself and before it goes anywhere else. Putting the sensor in the sandwich plate after the pump will read a bit higher, but it's the only practical place most of the time. On my 2011 Mustang GT, I actually glued a flat thermocouple on the outside of the back face of the oil pan where it was out of the breeze and covered it with a small square of insulation so it would tell me the temperature on the inside of the pan. Worked great.

In the V6L
What about teeing off the oil pressure sensor port with something like the Glowshift adapter? Would that still provide the hot side temp?
No, because the oil there isn't moving. If you went straight into the port and put the sensor into the flow, that's ok, but a tee off of a dead end is still a dead end.

boardkat

CAMtard
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Lake Oswego, OR
I used one of the two rear-facing bungs on the FP350S pan to place the sensor. As others have mentioned, it's the temperature pre-cooler that matters most, since this is what the engine internals are seeing.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
No, because the oil there isn't moving. If you went straight into the port and put the sensor into the flow, that's ok, but a tee off of a dead end is still a dead end.

Hmm. But I can't put a sensor straight into the hot side of the sandwich plate without hitting the alternator. I'd have to use a 90° adapter and extension towards the rear of the engine. Wouldn't that result in the same "dead end" issue? Attached pic shows a Setrab non-ported plate but I have a Mishimoto that I tried and ran into the interference. Sensor is from a Ford branded Autometer gauge.

Another alternative is to use a ported AN swivel adapter between the sandwich plate and the oil lines. But that seems to put the sensor danger-close to the sway bar.

IMG_7222.JPG

boardkat

CAMtard
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Lake Oswego, OR
Another alternative is to use a ported AN swivel adapter between the sandwich plate and the oil lines. But that seems to put the sensor danger-close to the sway bar.
What about doing this on the fitting going into the cooler instead? Should have room to put in a sensor there.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
Possibly. It might be tight since I have the wide 72-row Setrab cooler with 90° fittings. I'd have to pull off the bumper to see.

More importantly, I'd be worried about putting another set of connections and a sensor in a normally inaccessible place that I couldn't readily inspect for tightness and leaks.

I'm wondering if I should just get a new Boss 302 oil pan, weld in another bung and install it. It's a regular GT pan now.

IMG_7215.JPG

boardkat

CAMtard
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Lake Oswego, OR
Possibly. It might be tight since I have the wide 72-row Setrab cooler with 90° fittings. I'd have to pull off the bumper to see.

More importantly, I'd be worried about putting another set of connections and a sensor in a normally inaccessible place that I couldn't readily inspect for tightness and leaks.

I'm wondering if I should just get a new Boss 302 oil pan, weld in another bung and install it. It's a regular GT pan now.
I'd probably do the latter

... or just buy my BNIB Moroso 20572 aluminum baffled triple trap door 9qt pan with lots of bungs and save some time :)

49271849458_4ff7388588_b.jpg
49272510127_475f3475d2_b.jpg

In the V6L
Hmm. But I can't put a sensor straight into the hot side of the sandwich plate without hitting the alternator. I'd have to use a 90° adapter and extension towards the rear of the engine. Wouldn't that result in the same "dead end" issue? Attached pic shows a Setrab non-ported plate but I have a Mishimoto that I tried and ran into the interference. Sensor is from a Ford branded Autometer gauge.

Well, you could install a second sandwich plate and run a shorter ACDelco UPF48R (Corvette) filter instead of the FL500S. I solved a space problem on my 2011 Mustang GT by using that filter.

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
Anyone setup to check oil temp before and after the cooler? See how hot the oil is in the pan and how effective your cooler is?

I decided to go with the sump location for the sensor....using the killer B adapter and the glowshift temp/pressure guage...anywhere else and I either had a reading post the factory cooler or after or before the air/oil cooler. It would be great if a sensor could be incorporated in the drain plug location...but I couldn’t locate such an animal... thanks to everyone who commented

bringing back another thread from the dead.

I decided to go with the sump location for the sensor....using the killer B adapter and the glowshift temp/pressure guage...anywhere else and I either had a reading post the factory cooler or after or before the air/oil cooler. It would be great if a sensor could be incorporated in the drain plug location...but I couldn’t locate such an animal... thanks to everyone who commented

Did you have any issues that resulted from removing the OEM oil level sensor? If not I'd like to do this.

bringing back another thread from the dead.

Did you have any issues that resulted from removing the OEM oil level sensor? If not I'd like to do this.
Not at all...no codes or anything...of course I isolated the wire plug..and saved the oil level sender for the next owner if he wants to return to stock

TMO Supporting Vendors