The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

  • Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Where will the Boss technology show up in 2014?

518
14
I know this isn't pleasant for Boss owners to think about, but it is hard to imagine Ford dumping the engineering they put into the 2012-13 Boss 302. 2014 will (probably) be the last year for the S197 Mustang. Will Ford put the Boss engine/suspension in GT for 2014, or create another model? You can already get a 2013 GT with the Track Package and Torsen/Recaros that is about 50% of the Boss package.

Any rumors?
 
2014 Boss 351. ;)
 

Dvendet

Everyone's entitled to my opinion. ;)
My crystal ball says no Boss351, no Boss429. 2014 is not 1971. The 60's nostalgia is over I believe. Gas in 1971 was 25 cents a gallon. Today it's over 3.50 a gallon with 10% junk in it. Ford has made the decision that it's cars are going global in a big way. I don't think Ford will make autos tailored toward the North American marketplace anymore. All the major auto makers are realizing that profits in the NA market are not there and most of the growth well in the future will be in the far East. Even Ferrari is recognizing this inevitable fact. What you will be seeing in general for many cars, including performance autos, are more advanced turbocharged systems as well as a lot more diesel type cars in the future. This is an absolute necessity as there are efficincies to be gained with these technologies. The EPA and their future CAFE requirements and California's strict CARB requirements is/will put the end to the large block gas powered auto as we know ito. I am willing to bet he bank on this. Twenty years from now you will see I was correct with these predictions. Don't get me wrong. I don't look forward to this future. It's just being driven by the new realities of the world.

Now don't be so glum. Look what Nissan has done with their current GTR V6, 404 kW (545 hp) at 6400 rpm with a torque of 628 N·m (463 lbf·ft) at 3200-5800 rpm. Not too shabby huh? This is done with twin-turbos. And yes, prices will come down with these new technologies. Ford is investing a lot of money in new oversea factories that will develop these systems. This will keep the costs down (and profitablity up). Look what Ford is offering us with the current Boss compared to the competition. Good bargain don't you think? 45% of the Boss content comes from outside the US.

MMD
 
I'm thinking there will be a Mach1 next year. This could be why Ford didn't add the shaker to the 2013 Boss. Just my humble opinion.
 
MakeMyDay said:
My crystal ball says no Boss351, no Boss429. 2014 is not 1971. The 60's nostalgia is over I believe. Gas in 1971 was 25 cents a gallon. Today it's over 3.50 a gallon with 10% junk in it. Ford has made the decision that it's cars are going global in a big way. I don't think Ford will make autos tailored toward the North American marketplace anymore. All the major auto makers are realizing that profits in the NA market are not there and most of the growth well in the future will be in the far East. Even Ferrari is recognizing this inevitable fact. What you will be seeing in general for many cars, including performance autos, are more advancede turbocharged systems as well as a lot more diesel type cars in the future. This is an absolute necessity as there are efficincies to be gained with these technologies. The EPA and their future CAFE requirements and California's strict CARB requirements is/will put the end to the large block gas powered auto as we know ito. I am willing to bet he bank on this. Twenty years from now you will see I was correct with these predictions. Don't get me wrong. I don't look forward to this future. It's just being driven by the new realities of the world.

Now don't be so glum. Look what Nissan has done with their current GTR V6, 404 kW (545 hp) at 6400 rpm with a torque of 628 N·m (463 lbf·ft) at 3200-5800 rpm. Not too shabby huh? This is done with twin-turbos. And yes, prices will come down with these new technologies. Ford is investing a lot of money in new oversea factories that will develop these systems. This will keep the costs down (and profitablity up). Look what Ford is offering us with the current Boss compared to the competition. Good bargain don't you think? 45% of the Boss content comes from outside the US.

MMD

Makes sense for MY2015. Nothing will likely change for MY2014.
 
Direct injection Boss motor for the 14 Boss, if they do one. They said they left DI off the GT500 because it weighs 20 lbs... that big of a boost in efficiency and potentially power would not be left off the table for 20 lbs on a almost 4k lb car. The only reason they haven't done it yet is to keep it as an upgrade in the future.

Or maybe not, they might try to soldier on as is (sales are not good enough to introduce new machining for 1 year but that is also what I had thought about the 13s) and even into the new body for a couple years. 400 lb savings, if it is true, would provide a good bump in mpg. Then they can add the DI in a couple years and boots power while lowering emissions. Not to mention eventually adding a smaller turbo motor, hell even BMW is going turbo on the M cars and they were always the iconoclast with the I6 (until the recent ones at least, they have thrown most of their tradition to the wind other than Hofmiester kink and the awful caliper design).
 
pa93cobra said:
I'm thinking there will be a Mach1 next year. This could be why Ford didn't add the shaker to the 2013 Boss. Just my humble opinion.
The reason they didn't have the Shaker hood option on the 2012-13 Boss is because the Shaker System is forced induction and SVT wanted the Boss engine to be naturally asperated. Plus, how would they fit that shock-tower bar? Just my 2 cents.
 
LikeABoss said:
pa93cobra said:
I'm thinking there will be a Mach1 next year. This could be why Ford didn't add the shaker to the 2013 Boss. Just my humble opinion.
The reason they didn't have the Shaker hood option on the 2012-13 Boss is because the Shaker System is forced induction and SVT wanted the Boss engine to be naturally asperated. Plus, how would they fit that shock-tower bar? Just my 2 cents.

How is a shaker hood forced induction?
 
95blitz said:
LikeABoss said:
pa93cobra said:
I'm thinking there will be a Mach1 next year. This could be why Ford didn't add the shaker to the 2013 Boss. Just my humble opinion.
The reason they didn't have the Shaker hood option on the 2012-13 Boss is because the Shaker System is forced induction and SVT wanted the Boss engine to be naturally asperated. Plus, how would they fit that shock-tower bar? Just my 2 cents.

How is a shaker hood forced induction?

I guess there could be an arguement made about SVT wanting the Boss to be naturally aspirated versus the shaker since the purpose of the shaker is to increase performance at high speed by a 'ram air' effect, delivering high pressure air to the engine.

If the shock-tower bar was the hold up, I would have rather had the shaker scoop.
 
518
14
A Boss 351 would make perfect sense. Take the 5.8 from the Shelby, remove the SC, and there you have it.

Then again, a Mach I makes sense, too. A Mach I with the shaker and the '70 graphics would be pretty cool. I had a '70 Mach I with the shaker. I don't even have my Boss yet and I'm already pondering what I would do!
 
MakeMyDay said:
My crystal ball says no Boss351, no Boss429. 2014 is not 1971. The 60's nostalgia is over I believe. Gas in 1971 was 25 cents a gallon. Today it's over 3.50 a gallon with 10% junk in it. Ford has made the decision that it's cars are going global in a big way. I don't think Ford will make autos tailored toward the North American marketplace anymore. All the major auto makers are realizing that profits in the NA market are not there and most of the growth well in the future will be in the far East.

Well, 25 cents in '69 is really $1.64 today, just for apples to apples. Regarding the profit, no one doubts the east will be a large center of sales, so money is to be made there. But don't discount the north American market, right now that is the only place Ford is making any money and sales here is what has enabled them to bail themselves out.
 

Dvendet

Everyone's entitled to my opinion. ;)
ihatepotholess said:
FYI, Ford sells a ton of cars in china every year
Ford does not want to sell a ton of cars in china. It wants to sell 10's of tons of cars in China every year. The potential market is that big.

MMD
 

Dvendet

Everyone's entitled to my opinion. ;)
coboss said:
A Boss 351 would make perfect sense. Take the 5.8 from the Shelby, remove the SC, and there you have it.

CO,

From a gear head point of view the 5.8 may make sense to you. It's no longer a matter of whether or not Ford could build a 351 Boss. It could very easily do this. They already have the base motor. It's now a business decision that will be based on profit (not nostalgia). Government mandated CAFE and EPA emission standards and the realities of the cost of a gallon of gasoline, and global demand for Ford vehicles will drive business decisions in the future. Do not underestimate the importance of this. This is just the new realities.

I don't think there are too many Europeans or Chinese that are insterested in the Boss 351. What is the cost of gasoline by the way in Europe and China?

MMD
 
I would like to see a 2014 Boss 351 or Boss 429 but would be real surprised to see either happen, especially the B9, since there is a 662 HP Shelby available. Since they have the new Cobra Jet track cars, I can't help but believe they will make a play on that and bring back a Cobra Jet Mach 1 for '14. There were only 1800 or so B351's versus 1000's of Machs and fans that might buy another.
 
askjeffro said:
MakeMyDay said:
My crystal ball says no Boss351, no Boss429. 2014 is not 1971. The 60's nostalgia is over I believe. Gas in 1971 was 25 cents a gallon. Today it's over 3.50 a gallon with 10% junk in it. Ford has made the decision that it's cars are going global in a big way. I don't think Ford will make autos tailored toward the North American marketplace anymore. All the major auto makers are realizing that profits in the NA market are not there and most of the growth well in the future will be in the far East.

Well, 25 cents in '69 is really $1.64 today, just for apples to apples. Regarding the profit, no one doubts the east will be a large center of sales, so money is to be made there. But don't discount the north American market, right now that is the only place Ford is making any money and sales here is what has enabled them to bail themselves out.

Is their profit still mostly trucks? The Mustang has taken a dive in sales from my understanding.
 
ihatepotholess said:
FYI, Ford sells a ton of cars in china every year

Specifically, they sold ~213,000 cars in all of Asia Pacific in Q1. They don't break out the number publicly just for China that I'm aware of.

In case people care the other Q1 numbers:
South America: ~97,000
Asia Pacific: ~213,000
Europe: ~418,000
North America: ~677,000

NA was the only region to make a profit in Q1 from direct automotive sales.
http://corporate.ford.com/doc/ir_20120427a_financial_results.pdf
 

TMO Supporting Vendors

Top