The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Where will the Boss technology show up in 2014?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phiffzooted said:
The boss is over two year production there will be a whole new design next year for the mustangs

My understanding is that the 2014 (released in early 2013) will still be S197, then the 2015 (released in early 2014) will be the new design.

Boss 351 or Mach I are my guesses for the final year of S197 production. Also, some kind of 50th Anniversary Mustang. Whether the Mach I would use the Boss 302 block or not is the question. The Boss 351 would be a slam dunk with the 5.8 from the Cobra, minus the supercharger. I doubt it would rev to 7500RPM though.

My 2 cents:

MY2014 will be boring and short, in preparation for the redesigned MY2015 cars.

There will be no Boss 351 for the simple reason that if you take the blower off the GT500 and bump the compression to 11:1 it will still make LESS power than the Boss 302. The heads and TI-VCT on the Coyote/Roadrunner dwarf the 5.4/5.8. And Ford isn't going to redo the heads and add TI-VCT for a limited edition 1 MY car.

As for what options filter down to the GT, I'm betting the quad exhaust will be a factory option and Track Key may be available as a dealer add-on but that's about it.

coboss said:
My understanding is that the 2014 (released in early 2013) will still be S197, then the 2015 (released in early 2014) will be the new design.

Boss 351 or Mach I are my guesses for the final year of S197 production. Also, some kind of 50th Anniversary Mustang. Whether the Mach I would use the Boss 302 block or not is the question. The Boss 351 would be a slam dunk with the 5.8 from the Cobra, minus the supercharger. I doubt it would rev to 7500RPM though.
This is also what I think but only Boss 351 and no Mach 1. Same timing.

four-walling

Kerry, San Diego
Rich_S said:
My 2 cents:

MY2014 will be boring and short, in preparation for the redesigned MY2015 cars.

I concur. Pretty soon the Boss will be yesterdays news.

That said, I would not consider purchasing a new gen Mustang.

I like old style grunt, like the Boss has.

That is why I bought the car I did.

Boss3o2

blk12svt said:
I would like to see a 2014 Boss 351 or Boss 429 but would be real surprised to see either happen, especially the B9, since there is a 662 HP Shelby available. Since they have the new Cobra Jet track cars, I can't help but believe they will make a play on that and bring back a Cobra Jet Mach 1 for '14. There were only 1800 or so B351's versus 1000's of Machs and fans that might buy another.

Why? Ford knocked it out of the ball park with the new Boss 302, and secondly the 2013 GT500. Why the need for two additional models, which were poor sellers for Ford in the past? 450 HP N/A Boss, or 662 HP BLOWN GT500. Again, there is no need.

People in this community, need to really let go of the past and be excited/fortunate for what the U.S MFG's are producing for us Motorheads in these times. This is definitely history in the making, and will be some memorable automobile years for us all. Although the classics will have there legacy, they are of no comparison to todays Muscle Cars. Also, there is no need for people who question some of todays styling cues, and wonder why were these cars are produced exactly as the old ones offered (I see these type of questions, quite too often). These cars offer a 10 fold, over the old ones.

Personally, I am happy that Ford and GM (yeah, I said it), are offering cars that not purely "sticker" packages and rely there sales solely based off the old fart that used to own the originals, who experiencing some sort of mid-life crisis. ;D

These cars are some serious machines. I love telling people that I traded in my 09 M3, for my new Boss 302 LS.

Since the Boss 351 was much more of a straight line car, maybe they'll do what they did on the new Boss 302. They developed the Boss in plain sight and might be doing the same with the current Cobra Jet cars. Do you think they'd have trouble selling a street legal blown quarter mile car? Something that would annihilate anything on the road stoplight to stoplight? I think they could sell 2000 of them and all the parts have been developed for either the Cobra Jet or '13 Shelby cars already making it cheap to produce. Make $5k each on 2k cars and that's ten million. Not a lot in terms of global sales but profitable at least.

Boss3o2

Fat Boss said:
Do you think they'd have trouble selling a street legal blown quarter mile car?

No. It's called a 2013 Shelby GT500, and its available for purchase. :)

Boss3o2

Fat Boss said:
Boss3o2 said:
Fat Boss said:
Do you think they'd have trouble selling a street legal blown quarter mile car?

No. It's called a 2013 Shelby GT500, and its available for purchase. :)

I'm envisioning knocking two full seconds off the GT500's 1/4 time.

lol, a factory street driven 9 second car? Go back to sleep with your dreams! ;)

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
With Ford's infatuation with repeating history with the 12/13 Boss to mimic the 69/70, the possibility exists for the release of 2000 Boss 351's for 2014... With the original '71 Boss evolving more into a street cruiser, and more creature comforts with less hardcore 'track philosophy' ingrained into the previous 2 models, a 2014 Boss 351 could be possible. With the GT500 now over 650 HP, there is room in the Boss lineup for a 500hp Boss if Ford wants to keep repeating the past.

If indeed this gets put into production, I'm sure all the dealerships that get one will ALL be selling for MSRP or under, right?

Oh and they will save the Mach1 for 2014 1/2 or 2015 release as long as we are all polishing up our crystal balls...

Boss3o2

ace72ace said:
With Ford's infatuation with repeating history with the 12/13 Boss to mimic the 69/70, the possibility exists for the release of 2000 Boss 351's for 2014... With the original '71 Boss evolving more into a street cruiser, and more creature comforts with less hardcore 'track philosophy' ingrained into the previous 2 models, a 2014 Boss 351 could be possible. With the GT500 now over 650 HP, there is room in the Boss lineup for a 500hp Boss if Ford wants to keep repeating the past.

If indeed this gets put into production, I'm sure all the dealerships that get one will ALL be selling for MSRP or under, right?

Oh and they will save the Mach1 for 2014 1/2 or 2015 release as long as we are all polishing up our crystal balls...

Although anything is possible, it is very un-likely. As much as Ford like to keep projects under the table, we would have heard something for sure. Also, the 69-70 was produced to homologate the T/A production numbers. Ford pulled out in 71, hence why they went the route of the Boss 351 (originally to be named Boss 302).

Again, If you're in the market for most refined Mustang ever produced. Pull the trigger now, as the new Boss 302 is everything you will want. If high speed, insane power and tq. (I.E - The Big Block fans ), is your thing. Go purchase a new 2013 GT500. It will do everything and more, then any Classic street car you can think of. :)

Dark Horse

2012 BOSS 302 LS 541
Boss3o2 said:
ace72ace said:

Although anything is possible, it is very un-likely. As much as Ford like to keep projects under the table, we would have heard something for sure. Also, the 69-70 was produced to homologate the T/A production numbers. Ford pulled out in 71, hence why they went the route of the Boss 351 (originally to be named Boss 302).

Again, If you're in the market for most refined Mustang ever produced. Pull the trigger now, as the new Boss 302 is everything you will want. If high speed, insane power and tq. (I.E - The Big Block fans ), is your thing. Go purchase a new 2013 GT500. It will do everything and more, then any Classic street car you can think of. :)

+1 ^

Not sure if this link to the Boss 429 section will work but there are clues/rumors.....

http://www.boss302.com/smf/index.php?topic=58293.0

I doubt it, but it would be interesting. How much does the 6.2 weigh compared to the 5.0? I know my GF would be pushing me to upgrade, but I would guess it would be more of a luxury and drag strip car. And what would they price it at? GT500 isn't that much more than the 302 and it would probably cannibalize the GT500 sales more than it would bring in new customers. But if they made it like the 302, but with a better tranny, and kept the weight down... well, I would be pretty tempted.

TMO Supporting Vendors