The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Where's Waldo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

302 Hi Pro said:
Very nice Gary, and you have a great Dealer that let you take the car early.

Good luck and have fun tomorrow with your new car.

302 Hi Pro
Especially since I haven't even paid for it or signed anything :-[

Thanks all it really does look good and a blast to drive. Wife agreed to this black tie deal tonight but I made her ride in the Shelby. Pretty sure I'm the first guy to drive one in a tux unless one of you Track Tour guys really stepped out.

The shifter, clutch and trans are like butter! What a welcome upgrade. Let's just hope it's up to sustained track duty. I do think 2nd gear is going to get some use on the track. The gearing is definitely taller and the engine seems to prefer 4k+. Will get a better feel tomorrow.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Went to bed last night after reading "Ok Waldo, where the hell are you?"

Woke up this morning to see your GT-350 in front of your house as the banner picture. Must have been a long night there. LOL!!

Beautiful car. Awesome dealer!!

Took a few shots by the Falls. Sorry for the sun washout, but I never claimed to be a photographer ;)

20151108_093318_zpsi6fjha1i.jpg

20151108_093336_zpsu75p835b.jpg

20151108_093414_zpshn4imgyg.jpg

20151108_093420_zpshth6b0ww.jpg

I got some good seat time in this morning and a better feel for the car. There are so many nice improvements built into the GT350 I won't go into all of them as much of it has been discussed already. The first thing I needed to fix this morning was the tire pressure. They overinflate the tires for transport and while I checked them with a cheap gauge I had in the truck yesterday, they were way overinflated at about 38 psi versus the recommended 32. The first thing I noticed there....metal valve stems from the factory. Now the tires felt almost like track tires pulling you all over the place being so fat, sticky and cambered. It was sweet. The car rides great on the road and the on the fly switch from Normal to Track mode immediately morphs the car from a boulevard cruiser into a track beast. Even in track mode it's very drivable on the street. It was about 50 degrees out so all the extreme maneuvers were borderline wrecking the car so I can't say I pushed it to 10/10s yet ;D I took a couple off camber curves at some good intersections and was pleasantly surprised. I expected the car to push like all street cars, but was thrilled when the front tires dug in and the rear started to come around, but was quickly settled by the IRS. On high speed corners under braking the front tires just bit and yanked the car through the turn. It's definitely set up as a driver's car so be warned :D

I have had several people make unsolicited comments about how great the exhaust sounds, so I need to get someone to do a drive by for me. It's hard to truly appreciate a great exhaust note from inside the car. The seats are good but I haven't spent much time messing with the adjustments. Frankly I've had little time to do much "exploring" on the car including the gauges. I do like the tire pressure indicators and may consider putting TPMS on my track wheels. The oil temp and pressure gauges are great, especially when you're not sure if 8250 is available (oil must be 190*) I did accomplish programming three doors on a remote control and getting my phone paired, but I haven't had the time to run through all the available gauges and track apps. The interior is nice and a big upgrade over past Mustangs. The steering wheel has a great feel, and noticeably smaller than the Boss. It also has telescoping adjustment which I wish the Boss would have has as well.

I'm sure I'll discover a lot more nuances designed into the car as I get more seat time, but first impressions are this is an awesome machine!

TMSBOSS said:
Went to bed last night after reading "Ok Waldo, where the hell are you?"

Woke up this morning to see your GT-350 in front of your house as the banner picture. Must have been a long night there. LOL!!

Beautiful car. Awesome dealer!!
Thanks, and will look even better after the windows get tinted tomorrow. Sioux Falls Ford is the best dealer I've worked with in my lifetime.

REAL 1

Death smiles at everyone. Army Rangers smile back.
Thanks for the pics. Awesome looking car!!!

Certainly sounds like a nice step forward from the Boss.

Cloud9

Great looking car. Congrats on getting it this weekend.

If I get mine this week, wife and I are heading to Blair, NE for the weekend to get some of the break-in miles on the car.

Face76 said:
Cloud9

Great looking car. Congrats on getting it this weekend.

If I get mine this week, wife and I are heading to Blair, NE for the weekend to get some of the break-in miles on the car.
Cool, well hopefully we'll see you in Hastings, NE next September if not before ;)

A few more shots. The vehicle info is a huge step up from the Boss. In addition to the real oil temp and pressure gauges, we have digital gauges on several other critical parameters. The picture I took of the digital display was pretty washed out from the sun, but a couple things of note:

Inlet air temp was 3 degrees above ambient at 65*

Oil temp stays right around 190* even with some spirited driving so getting it up to temp to free up the high revs is borderline. This was after about 20 minutes of driving and after warming up for 10-15 minutes in the garage. The red area on the factory oil temp gauge is at 300* and above so presumably they're comfortable with the high 200s that Motor Trend reported on their track test.

CHT stayed right around 205* which seems pretty cool. It will be interesting to see how high these go on track next year, but it's fantastic to have so much more data available right from the factory.

20151108_160837_zps1nheview.jpg

20151108_171257_zpskqnu9zkx.jpg

20151108_181038_zpslvgwsqyn.jpg

20151108_181103_zpsk4egsxqh.jpg

I took a buddy of mine for a ride that has a Z07. He just laughed as we rapped it out to 8250 and shifted. He couldn't believe it just kept pulling and winding. It really is something else. I'm pretty much through the first 100 miles of no sustained high rpms and now move into the next 900 miles before track use. Hopefully I can get most of those in before the snow flies. Looks o.k. next week but not real warm. Hopefully we'll get another warmup around Thanksgiving when I'll have some extra time to drive it.

My Boss ran 205 CHT on the street all the time as well.

Did you by chance see a temp gauge for the trans?

VooDooBOSS said:
My Boss ran 205 CHT on the street all the time as well.

Did you by chance see a temp gauge for the trans?
Not yet, but haven't gone through even half the menu options yet. I'll take a look tomorrow.

Great info, Gary. It's really cool to see some of the bells and whistles.

Does your car have the Tech Package? If so, do you know if the functions you showed above are only available with the tech package or if they are included on all 350's?

That is one sweet ride!!! I really like that color scheme. From what I can tell it looks like they carried over the sound tube for what reason I do not understand. Is that true? Haven't seen any show in NC yet.

KBBOSS1086 said:
Great info, Gary. It's really cool to see some of the bells and whistles.

Does your car have the Tech Package? If so, do you know if the functions you showed above are only available with the tech package or if they are included on all 350's?
I have the Track Package which precludes getting the Tech package (it's an either or package). The features I showed above are part of Track Apps I believe, which is standard on the GT350.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel