The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Which Bluetooth dongle for Torque app?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What are people using? Is there a specific brand of $10-15 chinese knockoff on eBay that's more reliable than others?

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
I have the more expensive ($120) OBDKey which works perfectly; I couldn't bring myself to buy one of the Chinese knockoff ones but that's just my opinion.

I just ordered the Soliport ELM 327 from Amazon for $15 with free Prime shipping. It's fulfilled by Amazon too. Could have gotten it for $2-3 cheaper direct from China through eBay, but Amazon is really good about returns so it's worth it.

This is the one I purchased over a year ago and It still works like new. Fit is perfect. I have heard of some cheaper ones not fitting correctly and it would loose connection.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005NLQAHS/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

unrealford

Mustang owner since 84
Re: Re: Which Bluetooth dongle for Torque app?

Fordman9870 said:
This is the one I purchased over a year ago and It still works like new. Fit is perfect. I have heard of some cheaper ones not fitting correctly and it would loose connection.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005NLQAHS/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Yup, same one I use.

It came on Friday and works like a charm.. After playing around with the free version of Torque I upgraded to the full version for $5. Are there any Boss specific PIDs I should be monitoring?

• Rich_S said:
    It came on Friday and works like a charm.. After playing around with the free version of Torque I upgraded to the full version for $5. Are there any Boss specific PIDs I should be monitoring?

I have this running on a 10" android tablet in my car with big gauges. lol. Way cheaper than the gauge pod. For the track I monitor/log things like:
    • Coolant Temp
    • RPM
    • Engine Load
    • GPS Speed (I also use an external bluetooth 10hz GPS device - Quartz)
    • Air/Fuel Ratio
    • G-force
    • Throttle position

And some others. I also adjust the G-force accelerometer with an alarm when it approaches a certain G (e.g. 1.0g) depending on the track conditions, weather temp, etc. This way, I can know when I might be approaching the limit of adhesion and not push it so much.

Have fun!

those of you using this app. Do you need to buy the pro version to unlock the ford PIDs?

i cant see anything other than the generics and the pontiac grand prix?

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
I have the Pro version of Torque but it doesn't necessarily pick up all the Ford PIDs. It lists a lot of them but many don't return a signal, or the signal isn't correct. Off the top of my head I am talking about the Throttle position--there are 3-4 different PIDs for TP vs. commanded vs. actual or whatever and none of them are correct vs. my input.

I just got the ELM 327. It works great with my Android phone, but the OBD2 port faces downward so you have to be a little careful not to bump the dongle with your left leg.

TMO Supporting Vendors