The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

which brake pads do you guys prefer?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'm starting to do a little ,ore open track stuff when I have time and I'd like to keep a set of front pads with me for spares. I'm looking for something that I can drop on to used rotors w/o bedding them in. For whatever reason (probably a hold over form my kart days) I'm apparently very easy on brakes, but I'd still like to have a"plan B".

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
If you are not a total track junky with slicks and all.... Go with a set of Pagid RS29/56 pads from Pete. They are easily better then stock cold (better bite, even cold) and miles ahead on the track. Those pads with Castrol SRF eliminated my brake fade... and they last and last! 8 events to wear 40% of a Pagid pad. My buddies use HP+ pads on their Camaros, and they don't last more then three events and the rotors get eaten very quickly. Huge fan as you can tell!

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Mad Hatter said:
If you are not a total track junky with slicks and all.... Go with a set of Pagid RS29/56 pads from Pete. They are easily better then stock cold (better bite, even cold) and miles ahead on the track. Those pads with Castrol SRF eliminated my brake fade... and they last and last! 8 events to wear 40% of a Pagid pad. My buddies use HP+ pads on their Camaros, and they don't last more then three events and the rotors get eaten very quickly. Huge fan as you can tell!

What he said ::)

-Pete

I ran the RS29/56 setup from Pete all last year. I did 10 days on a single set. I ran with traction control on and used up the rears, but the fronts probably have at least one more weekend in them.

As far as rotor wear, I had to swap the rears with my pad change this weekend. One rotor was just below min thickness and the other just above. I had about 1mm left on both inside pads....

The most worn front rotor measured 1.231 vs 1.261 for a new rotor. Minimum thickness is 1.181, so they have plenty of life left in them. Not bad for original rotors with 10k and a years worth of track events.

Steve

Another popular brake pad discussed here at BMO is Carbotech: Keep XP8 on the rear full-time. For the fronts, switch between Bobcats (1521) on the street, and XP12 on the track; the pad material is compatible, so you don't need to swap rotors. [Depending on braking ability/style, some folks go more aggressive on the pad material.]

Lots of threads to read through here at BMO! 8)

Domestic Product

Big fat tires and everything !
Carbotech , 12 front 10 rear. I leave them in all the time as I do not use the Boss as a DD. Think I put 2,500 miles on last year. They work well and I'm happy with them. But when they are done I'm moving to 16s up front and 12s in the back along with some Vorshlag brake lines.
If I was trailering my car to the track , PF01s ran them for years. No complaints but super dusty.
Call the guys at KNS and talk about your car, tell them you are off BMO when I did they knocked the price down.

drano38

Wayne
I used PFC 01 up front last summer, and kept the Carbotech XP8 on the backs.
PFC 01 worked great, and I'll try PFC 08 and 97 rear in '14.
Previous to PFC, I ran several Carbotechs up front--XP10/12/RP2. All of them gave me rotor transfer and resulting shudder under hard braking. Maybe my bedding process (read and thought I followed their instructions) weren't what they needed.

Tulsa, OK
steveespo said:
Carbotech XP 24/20 combo. Super bite with good modulation and no fade. Rotor wear is non existent, transfer shudder has not been an issue with these compounds and I run them full time track and street, although street time is very limited.
Steve

How do you like the 20s on the rear? I've been using a 20/10 setup and will be switching to the 24s up front before my first track day this year and was planning on 12s for the rear. Any comparison between the 12s and 20s on the rear?

I'm usually happy with PF01's up front. Unless I've gotten my numbers mixed up, I believe I've been running PF06's out back (obviously changed must less frequently). But I'm not seeing the 06's online - I believe those are the ones I've been told have been discontinued? So what do we run out back to pair with the 01's out front? 97's? 12's?

I've used Hawk Blues several times and while they are incredible pads, they dust like there's no tomorrow and chew rotors up something fierce when cold. I have 1-2 track days left on this set, (which would make 5 days total from this set) but will be looking for something else at that point.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
13Boss#3328 said:
I just got my Pagid RST-2 from Pete. They look like bad boys.
Will report back to you...

Let's just say that if your using stock pads don't hit the brake pedal too hard the first time you go out or you'll leave your noseprint on the windshield! ::)

batman48195

I never get tired of driving it!
Mad Hatter said:

How are these with dust and squealing? Does it matter what Rotors you run them on? My car is stock right now and I might do 1 to 2 track days a year.

Thanks,
Brian

PeteInCT said:
Let's just say that if your using stock pads don't hit the brake pedal too hard the first time you go out or you'll leave your noseprint on the windshield! ::)

I will make sure I get windex with me to clean the windshield lol

Thanks Pete for the prompt shipping, it was breeze!

TMO Supporting Vendors