The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Which brand of gas do you put in your Boss?

Which brand of gas do you put in your Boss?

• BP

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Chevron

Votes: 14 17.3%
  • Texaco

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ExxonMobil

Votes: 14 17.3%
  • Phillips 66

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Valero

Votes: 3 3.7%

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • ARCO

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Esso

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Sunoco

Votes: 19 23.5%
  • Shell

Votes: 28 34.6%
  • Other

Votes: 9 11.1%
  • I don't care

Votes: 7 8.6%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zzyzx

Steve
Poll above. You can vote for two (2) options as I'm sure that's a more practical situation for most of us - possibly needing to buy gas on trips from different manufacturers.

I realize some of you may not care at all (there's an option for that), but for those of you that do care, could you post up your reasoning?

Should be interesting...

Thanks!

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Primarily use two Stations not listed as they carry a strong discount at one, and another has 93 Octane. Use Shell also as the station owner is very conscientious and watches his tanks well --plus he has huge volume so the turnover is quick.

Have a friend in the business and he states that virtually all the fuel in our area comes from a couple specific refineries , so more concerned with octane levels and someplace that is diligent about maintenance.

ufnavy06

Some say he has a tattoo of his face on his face.
Of all of those, only BP, Chevron and Shell are available near me. However, I'll typically fill up on base or at a Gate. Had one bad tank of gas from BP back with the GT and have been cautious with them since. I miss not having a Texaco nearby however. Seems they left Florida shortly after I started driving.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
where is the E85 option? lol. I buy from usually SUNCO when I was running E10. But after getting bad tank of gas after bad tank of gas from various places in the hampton roads area I decided its safer to run E85 which is much more reliable to its contents.

The Difference in quality driving is remarkable.

But for E10 I go
Sunco
Exxon
BP

But I have seen the same gas truck that fills up 7-11 fill up the big name stations as well so I dont think it matters. The best thing IMO is getting a gas station with a high volume so the gas is cycled out of the tanks.

This site may be of some help to some of you guys. I have owned my boss for 1 year now and all i use is 93 octane and 100 percent pure gas.

www.pure-gas.org

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Mainly Chevron. When I used to ride motorcycles, I used to break-down engines often enough to see how clean or dirty the engines were given different gas brands. This was back in Hawaii, so not all major brands are available. All gas came from ONE refinery, and the only difference were the additives/detergents by brand.

Chevron always ran the cleanest. Even in the 2-stroke engines, which burn pretty dirty, in general.

I also go to 76, when I want race gas at the pump. It's funny that it's only very few of the 76's carry 100 octane, but the one in Makiki did on Oahu, and one in Newport Beach here does too.

98RedGT

2012 #552
the highest I can find is 92 octane at Shell and it's always about $.20 cheaper per gallon than any other station with only 90 or 91 octane. go figure.

Same here with Sunoco.
I asked a friend with a 400-500hp evo, and he said he recommended Sunoco, and I didn't feel like experimenting different gas stations myself, so Sunoco, it was.

Boostd4

Relapsed Turbo Addict
Good ol California only has 91 at best at most stations, typically I use 76 and then Chevron in a pinch. There is a station about 15 miles from my house that has 94,96,98, and 100 at the pump for when I'm feeling frisky.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
Boostd4 said:
Good ol California only has 91 at best at most stations, typically I use 76 and then Chevron in a pinch. There is a station about 15 miles from my house that has 94,96,98, and 100 at the pump for when I'm feeling frisky.
are they cut down with E too? you could run torco to get that 91 up to snuff if you wanted to save the trip

http://torcoracefuel.net/pro-accelerator.html

fbbob96

2013 SBY #0750
Talked to Ford Performance and he said Ford does not recommend any octane booster additive. However, fulling up with 94,96,98 or 100 like Boostd4 said is ok

I look for 92 octane from any company that sells top tier gasoline.

http://www.toptiergas.com/

A friend of mine in San Diego who's a mechanical engineer and motorhead made that recommendation, and since we have several of the retailers listed at the web site I try to choose them.

TMO Supporting Vendors