The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 which GT-350

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Looking at used GT-350's (I am on Nightshift with not a lot to do), is there any major differences in the years (engine wise) ? and would you get magnaride? with the main use of the car to be track days.... GO

2019-2020 (and maybe some 2018) got the Gen 2 Voodoo engine along with some other GT500 parts in the suspension. They also get the 500 core support which is kinda cool because they’ve got mounting areas for hood pins and the 350 hood flutters a lot on track.

I’m not sure how many cars are out there without magneride, but magneride does work nicely for a street/track car.

Honestly other than brake fluid and maybe some pads (and camber plates & alignment if not equipped) a 350 needs nothing to go pretty darn fast.

I got really close to trading my 2017 R for a new 2020 HE-R because I wanted the Gen 2 stuff and I liked the color, but decided the premium wasn’t worth it. (Yeah…oops 🤣)

Ive since sold my R to gut and cage a GT.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
19 or 20 are the two best years as Bouncing Soul mentioned .Ford did incorporate plenty of improvements , used some newly developed data from the GT 500 ( used some of their parts ) and though only rumored, these 2 years seem to exhibit higher dyno numbers when checked. Agee with Soul , not much needed for the 350 to be super quick on track ( though the camber plates are a necessity so you can get negative camber all the way around)

Second alternative is to get a new Mach 1 ordered , since it is so similar to the GT 350 with the handling package, it just lacks the grunt down the straights. With the price used GT 350s are going for you can probably get a new Mach 1 for the same price --- I know the Dealer I used to work for is selling them in that range.

I have had both cars and I will admit to being surprised the Mach 1 handles so similarly and brakes just as well. No Voodoo , but it still revs to 7500 rpm and so far the only downside I have found is there are a couple of tracks I have to go to 5th where I could run the GT350 right up to redline in 4th.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Wisconsin
Try and find a 16 or 17 with a gen 2 motor already in it. It will drive down the price and with you tracking the car the long term value wont matter anyways.

That way you get the proper motor and dont pay the extra price for it. Put some cups on it with spacers and hammer down. Diff and trans cooler in the future.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Coolers standard on all 2017s , it is just the 2016 that you need to be concerned with and make sure it has the Perf. Package and not the Electronic one. Agree , Bouncing , that the GT350 will have solid long term resale, but I think the Mach 1 will do okay, and each will be somewhat limited with the lower builds and the continuing chip shortage. Just a thought if you don't find a GT 350, as I think the Mach is another Blue Oval alternative.

TMO Supporting Vendors