The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Which GT350R front pads for COTA HPDE?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'm taking my GT350R to COTA on 6/11 for my 5th track day (3rd on the GT350R). The OEM pads have 2000 miles on them including 9 ~30 minute track sessions MSR Houston. Given COTA's reputation for being rough on brakes, I'm going to replace the front pads. I will be using the stock carbon fiber wheels and fresh Spot Cup 2s with a track alignment.

I had planned on going OEM, but they're out of stock everywhere until early June. I'm looking at G-LOC R12s but open to any and all suggestions.

I haven't been to COTA yet, but I went through an entire set of stock brake pads at Sebring the first weekend I had it there. It only had 1500 street miles and zero track miles on it at the time, so I think Sebring may be equally hard on brakes as COTA.

I run R12/R10 front and rear on my GT350 and would highly recommend them. The R12s have lasted 5 events including Sebring, Road Atlanta and Barber.

mattlqx

Mustangless
I'll let you know how the OE pads do at COTA in a few weeks. I'll be doing the NASA Memorial Day weekend event there. I'll have an OE set with 90% life on the car and a brand new OE set also on hand, just in case.

@I-Man Depending on driving style, the R10 in the back compliments the R12 up front well while maintaining a similar brake bias. You can try the OE rears and see how they work but they not match up as well with friction level up front. Some Customers work with it, some don't. It is very driver dependent; personal feel and choice. Some Customers run equal compounds Front and Rear.

Thanks for the advice, all!

OPMustang Tim, I ordered a set of front G-LOC R12s from you. I feel like I should have ordered a set of rear R10s too!

Do you guys clean the OEM material off of the rotors when putting in different compound pads? And remove the other material when reinstalling OEM pads?

mattlqx

Mustangless
Using some brake cleaner on the rotor surface should be good enough but you have to do a pretty good bedding cycle. Finding a quiet road and doing a couple of 35-10 and then 50-10 stops works for me.

Thanks for the advice, all!

OPMustang Tim, I ordered a set of front G-LOC R12s from you. I feel like I should have ordered a set of rear R10s too!

Do you guys clean the OEM material off of the rotors when putting in different compound pads? And remove the other material when reinstalling OEM pads?
We appreciate the support, your front shipped today, rears will go out tomorrow. We include prep instructions and the pads are pre-bed. Sand off the old pad material for best results.

I'll let you know how the OE pads do at COTA in a few weeks. I'll be doing the NASA Memorial Day weekend event there. I'll have an OE set with 90% life on the car and a brand new OE set also on hand, just in case.

Come look me up if you get a chance, I'll be in a white Boss #328 in the garages. FYI, I haven't tracked my 350, but I wouldn't go with stock pads. That's a lot of car to slow down.

Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Michigan
The stock pads are great as OEM pads go, but I switched to G-Loc R18 Front and R12 Rear initially. Braking was great, but pads wore out on the rear faster than I liked (with ASC off) so I went to R16 on the rear. No issues with brake balance and rear wear is reduced. If you're hard on brakes I'd recommend this combo....

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel