The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Which lap timer are you using?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Working on getting my GT350R prepped for track duty and thinking about lap times. I have an AIM Solo DL, but I don’t know how much data it can actually pull from the ecu. In my other cars it could pull brake pressure as well as a number of other variables. Unfortunately my car is currently at the shop getting the Xpel installed so I can’t test it.

However. I wanted to check to see what everyone here was using?

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Working on getting my GT350R prepped for track duty and thinking about lap times. I have an AIM Solo DL, but I don’t know how much data it can actually pull from the ecu. In my other cars it could pull brake pressure as well as a number of other variables. Unfortunately my car is currently at the shop getting the Xpel installed so I can’t test it.

Am happy with Trackaddict. Simple to use and its on my cel so its always handy

Sent from my SM-G900M using Tapatalk

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
I put Harry's on my cell, have yet to try it on track but it seems pretty complete. Did a lot of reading on them all, they all seem to have some strengths/weaknesses.

I can't believe what 30 bucks will buy you these days, if you don't like this one then the next one over is only 30 bucks or so. Biggest cost is a powerful cell phone and a high quality OBDII bluetooth unit. This stuff didn't even exist when I last was playing around with cars. Fantastic!

Boone

Professional Thread Killer
+1 for Harry's. I've used it for autoX and track days. I use the bluetooth OBD2 dongle for RPM, MPH, water temp, and throttle position data. The accelerometer of a phone is not sensitive or responsive enough to be super reliable or useful, but it does give basic feedback.

Harry's is useful, but limited for the extreme junkie.

I like to make things complicated so here's my setup that I just tried out at Buttonwillow. I had everything laying around so I didn't have to purchase any new stuff:

2 phones, BT OBDii reader, and an external BT GPS.

Phone 1 sitting in my pocket connected to the BT OBDii reader collecting telemetry via OBDLink app.

Phone 2 (old and obsolete) mounted on the windshield connected to the external GPS running at 10hz collecting G-Force and positional data for really accurate lap times and racing lines. I tried RaceChrono this time but I think I'm going to try TrackAddict next track day since RaceChrono charges if you want to export the data from your phone. It's only $4.99 but I want to try out some other options before spending the big bucks :-D

It's as close as I can get to an AiM Solo DL without shelling out any extra cash. I swear I thought the AiM can pull brake pressure data from our cars. I thought that was the only one out there that could. That's why I want one so bad

On my previous Porsche, the AIM could pull 4-wheel brake pressure signal as well as a ton of other data.

It might be able to do it on the GT350, but I haven’t had the opportunity to hook it up and see what channels it gives me. I also can’t find the ecu documentation for any mustang after 2010.

Once I get my car back, I’ll update this thread with the capabilities.

Monaca Pa
I like to make things complicated so here's my setup that I just tried out at Buttonwillow. I had everything laying around so I didn't have to purchase any new stuff:

Phone 1 sitting in my pocket connected to the BT OBDii reader collecting telemetry via OBDLink app.

Phone 2 (old and obsolete) mounted on the windshield connected to the external GPS running at 10hz collecting G-Force and positional data for really accurate lap times and racing lines. I tried RaceChrono this time but I think I'm going to try TrackAddict next track day since RaceChrono charges if you want to export the data from your phone. It's only $4.99 but I want to try out some other options before spending the big bucks :-D

It's as close as I can get to an AiM Solo DL without shelling out any extra cash. I swear I thought the AiM can pull brake pressure data from our cars. I thought that was the only one out there that could. That's why I want one so bad

Get TrackAddict Pro. Free version limits how many videos

I use TrackAddict and export to RaceRender and it is great for a non-dedicated system. I use Kiwi 3 for ODBii and am going to buy an expternal GPS module. I did not know there was one that collects G-force data. Which one are you using?

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
In trackaddict, I record the brake data along with anything else you want... Then I make the video in Race render and add a dial for the brakes.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
So after trying Harry's for a while I'm kind of not overly thrilled. It does a ton of stuff, but it can be very obtuse and difficult to figure out at times. Also the data overlays seem to be non-configurable. Maybe trying to be the swiss army knife is not the best approach. Also it seems everything has to be done on the phone thus eliminating using the processor power of a real computer. The data files it puts out are hard to work with in other apps, it seems Harry's computes a lot of values on the fly and doesn't write them out to the data files. It also seems to rely too much on a data connection, the program author says it doesn't need it if you set it up ahead of time, but I tried doing that and it did not work, no way I could start a session with a track I had already loaded at home without it trying to get internet data. Ended up having to record a new track, which is not that hard but it's a PITA.

So I tried TrackAddict/RaceRender. The cell phone app is sort of the polar opposite to Harry's, really minimalist and focused on recording videos/data. It also writes complete data files which makes them much easier to import into other applications. Teamed up with RaceRender it seems to do a very good job and the overlays are totally configurable. Costs maybe $20 more for this duo than Harry's GP but it seems it may be worth it.

Still impressed all to crap with how much you get for how little money with these apps.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
AIM MXL w/ GPS.

If you have a Solo DL (or one of the newer Solo2DLs) you should be able to get everything but oil pressure and temperature from the CAN stream to the PCM.

I agree on the Vbox. The predictive lap time function helps me to take big chunks off my best lap each session. I would guess that it is worth more than 2 seconds on average from the beginning of the day to the end. However, I still can't seem to get it to collect any CAN data from my GT350. I wonder if I have a bad OBD cable.

I just picked up an Aim Solo 2 DL and will be using it for the first time this weekend.

When I was configuring the unit there was a list of all the OBDII variables to be logged within race studio for each particular car. You should be able to see this within race studio. FWIW, I don't recall seeing brake pressure for the newer mustang, although if the system recorded pedal position you could calculate your own brake pressure.

TMO Supporting Vendors