The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

which oil pan is better

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

im looking at a ford racing oil pan purchase or a morroso road race pan.
i am leaning towards the morroso pan at this time. i think the pickup area is better.

any one have opinions on this subject? and one seen the pans in person? i think the ford pan does hold aboput 15 quarts worth of oil though..

steve-o

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
I run the Moroso, and my total capacity (which might be a half quart high) is 12 quarts.

I've really liked it, solidly built piece, and having seen the Ford one in person as well, I think they're pretty similar in overall quality. The ford has some more intricate design, but I like the drain designs on the moroso more. Seems like either would be solid at keeping oil at the pickup. I have the steel moroso, they also make an aluminum piece that should be equally as nice and lighter.

I'll post up more with pictures later.

This is next for me. I have my eye on a Moroso, but I'm dreading the work it'll take to put in on. I'm new to pulling motors and dropping K members. :'(

Thinking about having one put in this winter. Do they require a new pickup or do they work with the factory one? i.e. are any other parts needed in addition to the pan?

Another option is the Chicane23/Armondo pan. Its a 12qt pan, fully baffled, and comes with a modified pickup. I'm running this pan on my Boss

http://store.chicane23.com/engine-exhaust/engine/chicane23-custom-coyote-road-race-oil-pan.html

A pic

DSC01307_zpse2b43667.jpg

r
Eric

steveespo said:
I'm thinking Moroso aluminum at $550 or steel at $395. Thousand dollars is a lot for an oil pan.
Steve
Is it recommended to replace the oil gasket Steve? I think I read it uses the factory pickup and windage tray?

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
cloud9 said:
Is it recommended to replace the oil gasket Steve? I think I read it uses the factory pickup and windage tray?
The factory gasket is a windage tray and depending on it's condition it could be reused. I haven't checked the price but I think it was about $40. Uses stock pick up. capacity is upped by 2 quarts according to Moroso site.
Steve

I ended up picking up a pan from off a blown roush racing motor cheap.
Total investment is like 300 bucks..

It's the frpp 12 quart pan too.

gremlinsteve said:
I ended up picking up a pan from off a blown roush racing motor cheap.
Total investment is like 300 bucks..

It's the frpp 12 quart pan too.
Are there anymore of those available?

Doh, that's a great price. Clean that pan out really well!

Steve (Espo), the best I've seen for the Moroso aluminum unit is from MMR at $429. Supposedly they offer free shipping if you call and ask. Just FYI

i am friends with the guys yes.
since i am in a part of that biz where i am rubbing elbows i get to hear all the little "detailes"

ill see what i can get ahold of...lol but no garauntees.

TMO Supporting Vendors