The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Which panhard bar?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This is for a street car that will see occ track. Planning on going the koni/steeda/strano route. Already picked up the MM plates, now their panhard bar is on sale. I was planning on getting something with urethane bushings (FRPP or Hotchkis) for my mostly street application. Any reason the MM with the spherical ends would be a bad idea considering the set up I'm looking at and my desire to not loose streetability?

cosm3os said:
This is for a street car that will see occ track. Planning on going the koni/steeda/strano route. Already picked up the MM plates, now their panhard bar is on sale. I was planning on getting something with urethane bushings (FRPP or Hotchkis) for my mostly street application. Any reason the MM with the spherical ends would be a bad idea considering the set up I'm looking at and my desire to not loose streetability?
My LCAs and UCA have spherical ends and clunk like crazy on the street. That would be the reason to go with urethane if yours is mostly a street application.

i'd like to hear about this too. Apparently cosm3os is my doppelganger, as I'm ordering koni/steeda sport/mm plates for my GT.

Thanks, cloud9. That's exactly the info I was looking for. Torsion, what's your thoughts on a bar with bushings? Hotchkis and FRPP were recommended to me.

My research concluded that a panhard with spherical ends adds noticeable (if not substantial) NVH. Unlike other parts with spherical rod ends, I did not find any exceptions from owners of this type of panhard bar.

No first hand experience, since my panhard bar is standing in the corner of my office. I won't be upgrading my suspension until my car goes from DD to WW (weekend warrior). Hopefully, that will happen by Spring.

I suppose that its convenient, and says something about the Hotchkis bar's place in the Strano system that he sells them on his site. Think I'll go that way.

Well, I was sorta thinking about this one from BMR:

http://shop.hypermotiveperformance.com/BMR-Panhard-Rod-DOM-On-car-Adjustable-Polyurethane-Bushings-PHR006.htm

Seems low-priced, and hypermotive is apparently doing a 15% off with free shipping on BMR parts for black friday. That'll make this bar $119 shipped.

I think the features I'm looking for are these:

1) on-car adjustability (i'm not sure they are all like that)
2) not crappy

I honestly don't know if BMR is a good brand or not. Need more research.

IMHO, for the street the bushed bar is better for 2 reasons, #1. is that they generally make less noise and #2 when you bank your car off of a curb or some other obstruction you want the bar to "give" rather than..say rip the mounts out of the chassis. the urethane bar will crush the bushings in the case of a major event the heims will either bend the bar or bend something else.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
I have a BMR in the box. Was on my car for 2 weeks but made a racket. Seems the bolt sleeves in the Urethane bushings were just a hair too big for the bolts and rattled over high frequency bumps. I chased it thinking it was my Borla axle backs but when I went back to the stock bar the noise went away. Now with spherical FRPP LCA's no noise would be objectionable.
Steve

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
steveespo said:
I have a BMR in the box. Was on my car for 2 weeks but made a racket. Seems the bolt sleeves in the Urethane bushings were just a hair too big for the bolts and rattled over high frequency bumps. I chased it thinking it was my Borla axle backs but when I went back to the stock bar the noise went away. Now with spherical FRPP LCA's no noise would be objectionable.
Steve

That's not noise, that's music ! ;D

Torsion said:
Well, I was sorta thinking about this one from BMR:

http://shop.hypermotiveperformance.com/BMR-Panhard-Rod-DOM-On-car-Adjustable-Polyurethane-Bushings-PHR006.htm

Seems low-priced, and hypermotive is apparently doing a 15% off with free shipping on BMR parts for black friday. That'll make this bar $119 shipped.

I think the features I'm looking for are these:

1) on-car adjustability (i'm not sure they are all like that)
2) not crappy

I honestly don't know if BMR is a good brand or not. Need more research.

I have the BMR bar as shown in the URL and have had it installed for over 6-months now. Excellent quality with zero increase in NVH. While I was at it, I also installed the panhard support brace also from BMR. lots of torque on those panhard bar bolts so be prepared.

drano38

Wayne
The FRPP and Whiteline bars are made of chromoly steel.
Most others are DOM steel, which is not as strong.
Add that to your decision making also.

I've got a Whiteline Watts link. If I hadn't gotten that, I would have picked up a used FRPP that was for sale at the time.

cosm3os said:
Where's the Steeda sale?

Hmmm. Well, two days ago I got an email from Steeda shouting about 15% off the panhard bar, act now, limited offer, you're special, blah, blah. But I haven't done much business with Steeda, so for all I know, this "sale" isn't any different than their normal "sale" prices that they have on every item. It appears to me that all of their parts are on sale at a discount at all times, which is a meaningless thing, since they are the manufacturer.

Anyway, the price here might be no different than the everyday price:

http://www.steeda.com/store/steeda-adjustable-mustang-panhard-bar-555-2551-A/

TMO Supporting Vendors