The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Which tire for an HPDE Mustang.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I am in a quandry about which tire to buy for my mostly track day 2011 GT. Car has full suspension and brake preparation and after 2 years of development the car handles great. I'm currently running a 19x10 Apex EC 7 wheel square set up with 255/35-19 Firestone Indy 500 tires. Yes I know the tires are too small but it's what I had on hand when putting on the wheels. Frankly I really like the 500's. They have very good grip, wear like iron and are affordable for a retiree. The down side is they can get greasey towards the end of a 20 minute session. Now that I've saved up the money I plan to go to a 285/35-19 square set up and I've narrowed my choice down to another set of 500's or Michelin PS4's. My quandry is the cost benefit trade off between the Michelins which cost $1600 or the Firestones which cost $1100. Being retired I can't buy tires too often. I'm also concerned all the chassis development was done on the Firestones. I don't know if the Michelins would require a different set up. Anyone's thought or recommendations would be appreciated.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Larry , I would check out a set of Continental Extreme Force in 295/30/19 as that meets the specs for an 10-11 inch rim and it would get a decent amount of meat on the ground. The Tire was a Hoosier/Conti design especially for HPDE'rs and Endurance Racing so meets the needs of your " Mostly" track day car!! Pricing is in between the 500s and a Michelin PS4S and the "Conti " is way more suited for your usage than either of those.

As another retiree , may the " Force " be with you.

CA
Chassis development is an interesting concern, but it mainly just refers to what your damper, spring and sway bar rates are.

What suspension are you running?

I second the notion to run the continental ECF. UNLESS you are on very soft suspension, then the continental will generate too much grip, too much body roll and make the car less enjoyable to drive. It will be faster but it likely won't be as much fun.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Larry , I glanced at your " Build " and nice job by the way. I would not worry about how you suspension will handle the Contis, and in fact I imagine they will politely thank you saying, " Larry, you are such a nice owner, you finally got me some tires to do justice to all the loving suspension mods you gave me! Sorry, bit biased, but the reason the Firechickens lasted so long is your were running Flintstone rubber. I am going to predict you will soon have the Boynton Beach Beast if you stuff a set of 295s on your RT Mustang, and expect to gain a minimum of 2-3 seconds at your favorite track!!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Nova Scotia
Larry , I would check out a set of Continental Extreme Force in 295/30/19 as that meets the specs for an 10-11 inch rim and it would get a decent amount of meat on the ground. The Tire was a Hoosier/Conti design especially for HPDE'rs and Endurance Racing so meets the needs of your " Mostly" track day car!! Pricing is in between the 500s and a Michelin PS4S and the "Conti " is way more suited for your usage than either of those.

This retiree really wishes they would get that tire North of the 49th parallel. I’m going through the same decision matrix now.

I am in a quandry about which tire to buy for my mostly track day 2011 GT. Car has full suspension and brake preparation and after 2 years of development the car handles great. I'm currently running a 19x10 Apex EC 7 wheel square set up with 255/35-19 Firestone Indy 500 tires. Yes I know the tires are too small but it's what I had on hand when putting on the wheels. Frankly I really like the 500's. They have very good grip, wear like iron and are affordable for a retiree. The down side is they can get greasey towards the end of a 20 minute session. Now that I've saved up the money I plan to go to a 285/35-19 square set up and I've narrowed my choice down to another set of 500's or Michelin PS4's. My quandry is the cost benefit trade off between the Michelins which cost $1600 or the Firestones which cost $1100. Being retired I can't buy tires too often. I'm also concerned all the chassis development was done on the Firestones. I don't know if the Michelins would require a different set up. Anyone's thought or recommendations would be appreciated.
Hey Bill hope you are well. I have ran nitto nto1 and full Pirelli slicks. I like the slicks better as I get them from a tA team as used. On a track day tire the nto1 are hard to beat I ran 5 two day events at the glen and another three the following year at the glen and the tires were still usable. I switched to the slicks is only reason I didn’t put more cycles on those nitto’s. They are good long lasting and pretty solid on grip. Good luck. Michael.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Oh , I often suggest Pirelli or Michelin used slicks when folks can acquire them and they are World's better than Nittos, but Larry wants something for the street and track.......pretty sure he does not have an extra set of rims.

Oh , I often suggest Pirelli or Michelin used slicks when folks can acquire them and they are World's better than Nittos, but Larry wants something for the street and track.......pretty sure he does not have an extra set of rims.
Ahh sorry thought it was you who had asked sorry Larry. I used the nitto on and off the street. The Michelin would be way better but pricey.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Larry , I would not suggest Nittos at all, because they are Hans Brinker and the Silver Skates if it rains, and since you live in Boynton Beach , Florida you know that can occur without notice. Since it appears you will only have this one set of tires , that is why I am not suggesting any tires that don't have a bit more of a conventional tread design that will shed water. If you had a second set of wheels, a set of used Pirelli slicks like Mr. Reid suggested could definitely keep your track costs down.

Chassis development is an interesting concern, but it mainly just refers to what your damper, spring and sway bar rates are.

What suspension are you running?

I second the notion to run the continental ECF. UNLESS you are on very soft suspension, then the continental will generate too much grip, too much body roll and make the car less enjoyable to drive. It will be faster but it likely won't be as much fun.
I'm running Ford "K lowering springs, Koni Sport shocks, BMR 35mm front bar, Cortex 18mm rear bar, Steeda extended ball joint front LCA's with bump steer kit, Whiteline rear LCA's, upper LCA and Panhard bar, GT 500 front (18 Bullitt 6 piston Brembos, 15" rotors, Hawk DTC60 pads) and rear (14" rotors) brake set up. Traction control disabled. For aero I have Boss 302 front splitter and Steeda rear wing. I have camber plates and run 2 degrees of negative camber. Pictures on track show a few degrees of roll at high speed and tires are not rolling over. I set tires cold at 32psi and consistantly read 38psi front and rear after 20 minute session.

Last edited:
Hey Bill hope you are well. I have ran nitto nto1 and full Pirelli slicks. I like the slicks better as I get them from a tA team as used. On a track day tire the nto1 are hard to beat I ran 5 two day events at the glen and another three the following year at the glen and the tires were still usable. I switched to the slicks is only reason I didn’t put more cycles on those nitto’s. They are good long lasting and pretty solid on grip. Good luck. Michael.
I looked at NT01's but they aren't available and no one knows when they will be back in stock

I just looked at the Continental ECF 295/35-19 specifications and I'm a little concerned about their fitment. I'm running 10" Apex rims with a 40mm offset. The Conti's specs are based on 10.5" rims. This means the Conti's would be "bulged" out on 10" rims, not the best set up for sidewall stiffness or response. If I had 11" rims it would be a no brainer. To those who have recommended the Conti's what rim size are you running?

CA
I just looked at the Continental ECF 295/35-19 specifications and I'm a little concerned about their fitment. I'm running 10" Apex rims with a 40mm offset. The Conti's specs are based on 10.5" rims. This means the Conti's would be "bulged" out on 10" rims, not the best set up for sidewall stiffness or response. If I had 11" rims it would be a no brainer. To those who have recommended the Conti's what rim size are you running?
Very good catch.

I would not run 295" ECF on a 10", these tires seem to run extremely wide. I have 295" ECF's on an 11" wheel and I have bulge. The 295 conti fits wider than a 315 nitto.

@vetracer love your car, nice build. Remember to check out the GRM tire bible, it's a great overview including the chart at the end:

I think one reason you aren't getting much lean with those Firestones is they aren't generating much grip, 38 psi seems high also? No offense but your car deserves better tires imo. I think and hope you are going to have a blast on almost anything you choose. You will probably want to dial in some more negative camber. Have fun.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I think alot folks get a little bit too concerned about a little bulge. When the listing shows a 10-11 inch wheel width, but an optimal of 10.5, it sure does not mean the issue is going to be that bad. There are a huge number of folks on this site running Apex 18x11s and 19x11s and running 315s! I ran 295s on 18x11s, and I had a little bulge with 315s , but I was over a second faster at every track --- that is the telltale answer in my book.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Nova Scotia
I think alot folks get a little bit too concerned about a little bulge. When the listing shows a 10-11 inch wheel width, but an optimal of 10.5, it sure does not mean the issue is going to be that bad. There are a huge number of folks on this site running Apex 18x11s and 19x11s and running 315s! I ran 295s on 18x11s, and I had a little bulge with 315s , but I was over a second faster at every track --- that is the telltale answer in my book.
I recall one tester running multiple sizes on a similar rim width and saying that even on a rim that was an inch narrower that the manufacturer minimum, the extra tire width was worth it as reflected in the times. But there can be some odd wear patterns.

TMO Supporting Vendors