The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Whine / Howl Coming from the Rear End Area at High Speeds

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey guys, need your advice again. I have a 2013 Mustang GT, 6-speed MT-82 with 3.73 gears. I have a loud whine/howl coming from the rear end of the car. It increases with my speed. Below 30mph, it's not noticeable unless you're listening really hard for it. As you get up to 60mph, it gets much louder. Above 60mph, it's very noticeable and very loud. It doesn't matter what gear I am in and the volume of the whine doesn't increase or decrease depending on gear. It only varies (getting louder) with speed. There's no volume change on deceleration. If I take my foot off the gas, the whine almost completely goes away. As soon as I give it any throttle, even 1%, the noise is back with the same loud volume. I'm also hearing a bit of clunking and rattling at certain times on deceleration and just maintaining flow of traffic speeds.

I got the car about 3-4 months ago. I noticed this noise about a month ago and it was fairly quiet and bearable. I could hear it more with windows up as it droned a bit in the cabin. Couldn't hear it with windows down. Yesterday, this noise suddenly got a lot worse and now it's very loud and drones a ton in the cabin. Windows down, it can still be heard. It overpowers my Corsa mufflers and resonator delete.

My 2013 Mustang GT has 3.73 gears from the factory. Stock driveshaft. I have J&M lower control arms, J&M LCA relo brackets, a non-adjustable upper control arm and mount (unknown brand), panhard bar, Koni yellows, and Steeda springs. I've heard the stiffer you make the rear end, the more NVH you have.

I'm thinking it's coming from the driveshaft or differential. I don't believe there's been any work done to the differential previously. I've heard 3.73s are typically whiney but I don't think this is a situation of "it's just a regular noise and it'll be fine" as it got much louder this weekend to the point where the car is annoying to drive. I've heard it could be a lack of diff fluid but I'm doubting it based on the sudden increase in volume and I don't have any leaks in the diff.

Any thoughts as to what it could be and where I should start? Thanks for the help in advance!

Last edited:

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Agree with all of the above.

I see you just got the car a few months ago, but what is the current mileage?

Always start off with the easy things 1st.

Plan a maintenance service on the rear Diff & inspect it while you have the cover off. Then proceed depending on what you find.

Check the upper control arm & Diff hsg. Bushing. The UCA can transmit a lot of gear noise.

Check the driveshaft. If OEM it has a center Mount and bearing to inspect.

Good luck & keep us posted.

Hey guys, thank you for all of the advice on getting the issue fixed! I ended up taking into a differential specialized in shop in Arizona, and they fixed it. I felt the job was over my head as I had never done any work on my differentials before. It ended up being a bad inner pinion bearing. They said the gears and all other bearings looked great, just the inner pinion bearing was bad. Had to remove the center bearings to get to it. After they replaced that, the car dramatically decreased in NVH from the diff.

But it hasn't completely gone away. As of now, at 60MPH and above, I do still get a small whine. Absolutely no whine or howl below 60MPH. I assume that is just the 3.73 gears whining since they tend to be loud. The car has been fixed for about 5 days now, and the whine has gotten a small amount louder than the day I fixed it, but nothing close to how loud it was pre-bearing fix. Contemplating adding more Ford friction modifier to see if that helps.

Once again, thank you for all the advice on the issue! Glad I got it fixed and I'm able to have fun with the car once again.

Agree with all of the above.

I see you just got the car a few months ago, but what is the current mileage?

Always start off with the easy things 1st.

Plan a maintenance service on the rear Diff & inspect it while you have the cover off. Then proceed depending on what you find.

Check the upper control arm & Diff hsg. Bushing. The UCA can transmit a lot of gear noise.

Check the driveshaft. If OEM it has a center Mount and bearing to inspect.

Good luck & keep us posted.
The car currently has 103,xxx miles on it. The trans and engine have about 70k miles on them since they were replaced by Ford early in this car's life. I do have a UCA and UCA mount installed, but it was installed from the 1st owner (I'm the 3rd owner) and I don't know the brand nor is it adjustable. I'm likely going to check the pinion angle and if it is off, I'll buy an adjustable UCA. Maybe that is some of the cause of the current low volume whine noise above 60MPH. Thanks for your input on all of this!

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
With 100,000 plus miles on the clock, check the rubber bushing at the top of the Differential housing while you’re there.

Keep in mind that aftermarket UCA's on the rear will also transmit more NVH than a stock one. My car (T-56 magnum XL swapped 2012) has 4.10s, and when I switched to an aftermarket UCA with BMR bushings to correct the pinion angle I hear a lot more gear whine in the cabin than I did before. It did fix a slight vibration from the pinion angle being out 4 degrees though.

+1 to 302 Hi Pro's suggestion to inspect that bushing. Could be worth bringing it to the same shop to have them replace it with another stock one since it's kind of a PITA to change with the rear still in the car.

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
Just my two cents worth, but once a ring and pinion gear set has been run with a bad bearing the mating pattern of the gears is messed up and putting new bearings in may quiet it some but your not going to get a quiet running rear end back. The ring and pinion gear interface is very sensitive to minor changes. It also doesn't help that most differentials are a pain to set up, that's why a Ford 9" is a popular diff, much easier to dial it in.

Keep in mind that aftermarket UCA's on the rear will also transmit more NVH than a stock one. My car (T-56 magnum XL swapped 2012) has 4.10s, and when I switched to an aftermarket UCA with BMR bushings to correct the pinion angle I hear a lot more gear whine in the cabin than I did before. It did fix a slight vibration from the pinion angle being out 4 degrees though.

+1 to 302 Hi Pro's suggestion to inspect that bushing. Could be worth bringing it to the same shop to have them replace it with another stock one since it's kind of a PITA to change with the rear still in the car.
I'll definitely have to check out that rubber bushing then. I assume there's no way to check the bushing without taking it out. Problem is, that shop is quite far from me. But I'll definitely look into doing that if the noise is getting bad to the point where it needs to be looked at again. Right now, it's tolerable and is only really noticeable at 60-65mph. I know I have an aftermarket UCA in there right now, but it could be a shitty brand. So I'll probably look into something adjustable from BMR or Whiteline.

Just my two cents worth, but once a ring and pinion gear set has been run with a bad bearing the mating pattern of the gears is messed up and putting new bearings in may quiet it some but your not going to get a quiet running rear end back. The ring and pinion gear interface is very sensitive to minor changes. It also doesn't help that most differentials are a pain to set up, that's why a Ford 9" is a popular diff, much easier to dial it in.
Ah, that makes a lot of sense. I didn't know it was that sensitive. For a shop that has done rear gears for 12 years, I would have expected them to tell me something important like that. Oh well, the noise is completely tolerable for now. Hoping it doesn't get much louder and I don't have to bring it back for a full ring and pinion and bearing replacement.

Its polyurethane lca's transmitting harmonic vibrations that were always there. 3.73 are know to whine. I had whiteline lca's and had the same exact noise. I went back to track pack lca and oem uca

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel