The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

White Line Tranny Insert Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

From everything I have heard you can drill a hole in it or even cut the middle section off entirely and not really reduce the impact that it has. I would put it in as one whole piece and then modify it from there to how you like.

I just put mine in yesterday. No issue what so ever with NVH. Definitely try it as is before you drill it out. I put some grease [none supplied in my pack] on mine before I put it in and ended up taking it out pretty easily.

By the way the article in this months Mustang 5.0 shows the guy installing from back to front, but the instruction said to install front to back [just like the video] which is what I ended up doing and why I pulled it out.

Also, there is very little torque on those cross member bolts. The torque sheet I found said 35 ft-lb which I didn't think was right so I took the bolts off with a TQ wrench and sure enough not even 35 ft lb.

Hermes said:
I just put mine in yesterday. No issue what so ever with NVH. Definitely try it as is before you drill it out. I put some grease [none supplied in my pack] on mine before I put it in and ended up taking it out pretty easily.

By the way the article in this months Mustang 5.0 shows the guy installing from back to front, but the instruction said to install front to back [just like the video] which is what I ended up doing and why I pulled it out.

Also, there is very little torque on those cross member bolts. The torque sheet I found said 35 ft-lb which I didn't think was right so I took the bolts off with a TQ wrench and sure enough not even 35 ft lb.

That's funny. I pulled my car up on ramps. I was laying under and looking up. I installed in back to front. I don't think it could matter. I drove the car. It's louder but not terrible. My biggest complaint is the f'k gear whine. That whine is more pronounced now. The video was great. I needed a 15mm and an 18mm, unlike what the tools used in the vid.

In reading about the Whiteline tranny insert, and whether to cut out the middle section.... I thought back to my Integra days where we would shoot in polyurethane to stiffen up various mounts.

Since the benefit primarily seems to be from the two end sections that fill in the big air gaps... and since I was under the car anyway this past weekend... I cut up two 2.5" lengths of rubber heater hose, and filled in the gaps with polyurethane sealant from Home Depot.

It's a low-cost solution, plus you don't have to remove the tranny support.

Just throwing this idea out there for someone who doesn't want to deal with the hassle of installing the Whiteline insert. Admittedly, you lose the benefit of easy removal.... but no one does that, right?? 8)

bmws52

2012 Boss 302 PW
I Installed this quicker than it took me to get the car on a lift. Easiest install I have ever done on a car. Also I used grease while putting the mount in. For $30 it is well worth it. My NVH Is not bad. Only annoying issue is when I do feel it, I think it is my cell phone ringing!

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel