The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Whiteline Transmission Bushing Insert

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Domestic Product

Big fat tires and everything !
Going to go with the BBR motor mounts (are they not the same thing as the Steeda for $60.00 less) on sale right now for $150.00. Will be calling Vorshlag first thing Monday to place order and see what the eta is for the trans bushing.
Yes makes sense to do both together, two more weak points gone!

NewBossowner said:
I have no idea other than maybe cost, why Ford would choose the MT82 over the Tremec that comes in the Shelby and the Race only versions of the Boss. Seemed like a no brainer to put the good transmission in the " race car".

The Tremec in the Shelby is not devoid of its own issues. I have one in my car, trust me. Many of the same issues you guys have, the Tremec also has. Remote shifter, crappy rubber bushing, hydraulic clutch. Biggest difference is it is just plain stronger. But from what I understand, the MT-82 shifts smoother than the Tremec. Obviously not under race conditions though.

I have a Spec stage 2+ clutch, braided clutch line, MGW shifter, and Lethal Perfromance motor mounts and it shifts like butter; really notchy butter. I'm putting AMsoil fluid in it that should help that though. I still have trouble with 2nd gear at 6k RPM, but the rest of the shifts are pretty painless. A Poly trans bushing would make it just about perfect I think.

But you are correct in questioning why they didn't just put the Tremec in the Boss if the Getrag isn't up to snuff for the race cars.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
Domestic Product said:
Going to go with the BBR motor mounts (are they not the same thing as the Steeda for $60.00 less) on sale right now for $150.00. Will be calling Vorshlag first thing Monday to place order and see what the eta is for the trans bushing.
Yes makes sense to do both together, two more weak points gone!
The BBR motor mounts are always "on sale" on the blow by racing site. I have that very set on my boss and so far I am very happy with them

Justin said:
is this insert from whiteline out to buy yet? anyone know for certain yet?

It is not, I talked with Whiteline directly and it is not yet released. no amount of bribery or pleading could get me one, :(

Domestic Product

Justin said:
The BBR motor mounts are always "on sale" on the blow by racing site. I have that very set on my boss and so far I am very happy with them

How many miles do you have on them ? they look to be the same as the Steeda, as you see we have a post with the Steeda failing.
On the White line trans bushing, I believe the post from Vorshlag was recent that they had a prototype and they were giving the thumbs up to white line to go ahead. My guess is we are months away :(.

isrboss

Anyone that wants a cheap fix that will mimic this insert, can simply purchase 3M Windo-Weld Super Fast Urethane 08609. I have used this in the past and it works. Pull the mount, clean it up some, fill the voids, let sit and cure for a day before installing. Of course if there is too much NVH for you from this, you can't simply remove it like the insert discussed here( buy new mount).

I have not had any issues yet with shifting while on track, but I really haven't went ballz out yet, still feeling out the car. I had not been in a manual trans/on track for 4 years, only had 1200 miles in the Boss before tracking. I will be at Sebring May 25, and I have some seat time there, so the Boss will get pushed to 8/10ths. If I have issues I will simply do it with this homemade remedy, and I could find out with in a day if the trans mount helps fix a shifting problem.

isrboss said:
I have not had any issues yet with shifting while on track,
...yet. I hope you're one of the lucky ones that doesn't experience any issues, there are a few that haven't.

isrboss

I'm sure I'm not one of the lucky ones :D. I did have one moment while loading the car heavy laterally I got fought for fourth. It just happened once though, and we'll see. The tranny seems to love downshifting, It had been a while for me on track in a manual, and rev matching on the way down went great, good pedal placement.

Justin

Domestic Product said:
How many miles do you have on them ? they look to be the same as the Steeda, as you see we have a post with the Steeda failing.
On the White line trans bushing, I believe the post from Vorshlag was recent that they had a prototype and they were giving the thumbs up to white line to go ahead. My guess is we are months away :(.
I would have to consult my log book at home but I think its around 2000 miles on them.

I just now read that steeda post. I will have to keep an eye out on mine. they are easy to take out to inspect.

Domestic Product

Justin said:
I would have to consult my log book at home but I think its around 2000 miles on them.

I just now read that steeda post. I will have to keep an eye out on mine. they are easy to take out to inspect.

Thanks Justin, on the motor mounts are these BBRs the same as the Steeda? They look the same. Now I see the Prothanes have failed as well. The answer might be the Steeda all black. American muscle has a picture of the Prothane mounts next to the stock mounts, interesting comparison.
On the transmission bushing, I like the 3m super fast urethane idea. Blow Fish or Track Day, could be a product? Buy the factory trani bushing from Ford fill them solid with this 3m product and sell them. I would bet you would sell a bunch as I feel this is a important missing link with the transmission. Read the post on Vorshlag as they discuss the white line bushing proto type in the car. They really liked it and said it was totally noticeable.
I feel that I want both of these mods on my car before I track it. I have a brand new transmission and everything and I want all known weak points corrected. I really want to move on to other modifications and just have a car that shifts.

That is an interesting comment that the black urethane mounts might be stronger than the red. It was my Steeda mounts that failed, and while the black had a bit of deformity, the red was the one that split clear through. I was planning to try just black bushings as replacements and this maybe one more reason to do that.

Justin

Domestic Product said:
Thanks Justin, on the motor mounts are these BBRs the same as the Steeda? They look the same. Now I see the Prothanes have failed as well. The answer might be the Steeda all black. American muscle has a picture of the Prothane mounts next to the stock mounts, interesting comparison.
On the transmission bushing, I like the 3m super fast urethane idea. Blow Fish or Track Day, could be a product? Buy the factory trani bushing from Ford fill them solid with this 3m product and sell them. I would bet you would sell a bunch as I feel this is a important missing link with the transmission. Read the post on Vorshlag as they discuss the white line bushing proto type in the car. They really liked it and said it was totally noticeable.
I feel that I want both of these mods on my car before I track it. I have a brand new transmission and everything and I want all known weak points corrected. I really want to move on to other modifications and just have a car that shifts.
they look just about the same the base is silver on my bbr's not black but the rest appears to be the same. I am running the red/black combo.

isrboss

I wanted to update that I recently went to Sebring with the Boss and I had no issues shifting to fifth at or near red line. I have no modifications to the drive line. I did however get the non tapped diff cover on my 13.

Update for the group.

Email response received today regarding availability of the insert:

It is "due any day", per my conversation with Whiteline earlier this week. Production is done, but it is in shipping... from Australia.

Thanks,

Terry Fair - Owner, Vorshlag Motorsports
For faster responses, please "reply all" when you reply to us
[email protected] - www.vorshlag.com - 972-422-7170

davsta said:
Update for the group.

Email response received today regarding availability of the insert:

It is "due any day", per my conversation with Whiteline earlier this week. Production is done, but it is in shipping... from Australia.

Thanks,

Terry Fair - Owner, Vorshlag Motorsports
For faster responses, please "reply all" when you reply to us
[email protected] - www.vorshlag.com - 972-422-7170

Kangaroo don't swim too fast so could be a bit yet. ;D

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
a manufacturer I work with, produces their own line of engine mounts for different vehicles. they found that cast urethane commonly fails in engine mounts. through testing, they found that urethane has a problem remaining pliable in engine bay conditions (relatively high temps and lots of heat cycles), which causes the cracking. they changed to a special formula of high durometer EPDM rubber which has ended their failure issues once and for all. I wonder if they could adapt the 10,000 units they purchased to work with the higher volume mustang? I may have to inquire.

as for pourable urethane, I have used it in the automation industry many times. its very easy to work with, is relatively inexpensive, but has little heat resistance (IIRC ~180F max?). I am sure the temps get close to that after a track session.

is there really a need to have a somewhat pliable material in the voids of the trans mount? why not epoxy them up?

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel