The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Whiteline Transmission Bushing Insert

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin said:
to me it feels the same but I also have
BBR motor mounts and MGW shifter.

The same as in no difference when compared to no insert or even post-mod it improved shifting?

thanks again,
Steve

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
2012-Boss said:
The same as in no difference when compared to no insert or even post-mod it improved shifting?

thanks again,
Steve
if its better then it was its just slightly then without. mine might have been so bad because I already have the stiff motor mounts. The motor mounts made a huge difference with just a slight increase in start up vibration. though its a much more expensive and harder mod to install.

it made a noticeable improvement. When I am right up against the redline, it's still a bit iffy. I mat the clutch (all the way) it's better, but when I get sloppy and it will hang.

Buzzes my right butt cheek ... anybody that says these aren't noisy is FOS (or deaf and has a numb ass).

I got a MGW on the way and will be getting a torque brace too:

http://www.cheperformance.com/prod-208.htm

roadhouse said:
Sounds like good feedback so far, looking forward to trying this out. I ordered one a few days ago but it won't ship out for awhile.

Well i installed mine a few days ago and I also have the MGW shiffter. The shifts are a little better at low rpm and better when under load. Yes there is noise and a little gear whine. I think it is a good trade off for the price and installation time. Mine is staying in.

Hello, I'm new to this forum so i suppose i should take a second to introduce myself first.

Im a Houston local, and currently dont have a boss (or even a mustang for that matter), but my 500 whp mazdaspeed 3 (built and tuned by me, but i'll avoid thread jacking) was recently stocked out and paid off. I plan on putting the Ms3 down on a GT or Boss in april 2014 (its my birthday, so want to get me a little something something) but have been a long time mustang fan.

More on to the point of why i am posting, is in the FWD world we have a LOT of experience with polyurethane bushings, and their effects on the NVH of a vehicle. we would run 3 mounts on our car, a rear which obsiouly controlled lateral rotation of the engine (remember, FWD), and then transmission and passenger side mounts which supported the weight, but were also upgraded to put down power more efficiently. Upgrading our transmission mount was also a very effective way for us to nail shifts, so it seems this is a pretty common practice.

Most mounts we used were in the upper durometers, namely 80 - 88, and the NVH was ALWAYS just awful right after installation. I remember after installing my passenger side mount, i wasnt able to really use my rear view mirror. However, after a few hundered miles, the NVH settles down significantly and you end up with a softer, yet still more firm ride. Seeing as how the motor mounts would see a lot of abuse, i imagine that is one of the reasons they broke in fairly quickly ... i am not sure how much load and or stress is placed on this bushing, so break in (if it even does occur) may take longer.

Now i'll just go back to trolling your forum and continuing my reading in the meantime.

you can feel it in your assleg ... how loud is that?

yes it works

redline shifts 1-2, 2-3, 3-4, and 4-5 if you have room.
I had routine 2-3 lock out (worst) 3-4 lock out, and 4-5 lock out ... but not any more

but loud and buzzy

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Voltwings said:
However, after a few hundered miles, the NVH settles down significantly and you end up with a softer, yet still more firm ride.

Thanks for your thoughts on the matter. I put mine in on Saturday, and I'm not sure I'd leave it in for a daily driver. I'll see how much softer it might be after a road trip and track day this weekend.

tlflow said:
it made a noticeable improvement. When I am right up against the redline, it's still a bit iffy. I mat the clutch (all the way) it's better, but when I get sloppy and it will hang.

Buzzes my right butt cheek ... anybody that says these aren't noisy is FOS (or deaf and has a numb ass).

I got a MGW on the way and will be getting a torque brace too:

http://www.cheperformance.com/prod-208.htm

After I installed the MGW shifter there is less noise and vibration? No idea why, maybe the factory shifter was buzzing. I need to retract my statement above.

The MGW makes me happy happy happy

tlflow said:
After I installed the MGW shifter there is less noise and vibration? No idea why, maybe the factory shifter was buzzing. I need to retract my statement above.

The MGW makes me happy happy happy

Possibly stiffer shifter bushing absorbs more of the trans NVH?

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
After 700 miles of road trip and 100 track miles, I think the bushing had broken-in some and the vibrations are not as harsh/sharp. Maybe I just got used to it, but I think there is less buzzing and feel through my seat and leg. Drove with my wife in the car yesterday and she didn't say anything...so I think it'll stay on the car.

I noticed a decent improvement in shifting, and I was expecting more NVH, but was surprised with how much more it ended up being. To me, it's not annoying and I can totally live with it so it's not THAT bad, but it is more significant than expected. And yes, you feel it in your right leg.

Considering the price and the ease of install, I highly recommend it for those curious on trying it out, if you don't like it, you're not out a whole of time / money

Tulsa, OK
I finally got a chance to test out the bushing over the weekend. I noticed a little improvement but nothing monumental. As others have said, there is some NVH but I don't mind it. I still missed 3rd twice (which usually happens a time or two during a track day) and 4th once (which I have never missed, not quite sure what happened there). It will be staying in my car.

Had pretty much the same results with the WL bushing insert as Roadhouse at the MPH Mustang Roundup/Boss Reunion this past weekend. Still had a few missed shifts, just not as many as usual. It is an improvement for sure, but not a 100% fix for shifter lockouts.

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
I only had one miss-shift all weekend (Fri, Sat & Sun) at the Mustang Roundup... that was shifting from 2>3 coming out of turn 13, 3-wide, with Gary and Chad. Apparently, when all of the lights on my dash go on, it distracts me from making an very important shift :)

I will say that coming down from 3>2 coming into turn 13 there was much more vibration than at any other time on the track.

For $35 (+/-) it is a worthwhile purchase.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel