The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Whiteline Transmission Bushing Insert

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JScheier said:
I only had one miss-shift all weekend (Fri, Sat & Sun) at the Mustang Roundup... that was shifting from 2>3 coming out of turn 13, 3-wide, with Gary and Chad. Apparently, when all of the lights on my dash go on, it distracts me from making an very important shift :)

I will say that coming down from 3>2 coming into turn 13 there was much more vibration than at any other time on the track.

For $35 (+/-) it is a worthwhile purchase.
That was awesome but I'm sure we had the guys in the safety trailer going crazy :eek:

Put me in the "For $35 (+/-) it is a worthwhile purchase." column.

I installed it the day before the Mustang Round-up and noticed an immediate improvement. Since the install, I have not had any missed shifts on or off track. I still have the stock shifter. (MGW in the box waiting to be installed)

To minimize added NVH I cut a 1 1/2" diameter hole in the wide center section of the insert with a hole saw before installing it. I have not noticed any increase in noise. The only vibration increase I have noticed so far is the shift knob, and it is minimal.

Tulsa, OK
JScheier said:
I only had one miss-shift all weekend (Fri, Sat & Sun) at the Mustang Roundup... that was shifting from 2>3 coming out of turn 13, 3-wide, with Gary and Chad. Apparently, when all of the lights on my dash go on, it distracts me from making an very important shift :)

I will say that coming down from 3>2 coming into turn 13 there was much more vibration than at any other time on the track.

For $35 (+/-) it is a worthwhile purchase.

I missed the 2>3 coming out 13 one time as well. Although I wasn't 3 wide ;) I don't have any excuse...

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
I ordered mine over a month ago and was told that there was over 400 of these back-ordered. They just started shipping these out and mine is on the way. Can't wait to check it out myself.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
I will be receiving my stock of the inserts today! for those who have ordered from me, your wait is nearly over. for those waiting until someone has stock to order, I have 4 left unspoken for. order yours before someone else does.

Installed the trans insert today and really didn't notice any additional vibration during the test drive. The boss seemed noisy but it's noisy anyway so it hard to tell the difference. I'm doing a Laguna track day on Jan 25 and I will see how it shifts under load on the track, but so far I'm happy with the insert. Cheers

Going to install the Whiteline Tranny Bushing insert,the video I watched on A.M. shows him greasing it before install,he says the grease comes with it.I did not get grease,do they recomend grease or have they changed the install to dry?

Pitt302 said:
Going to install the Whiteline Tranny Bushing insert,the video I watched on A.M. shows him greasing it before install,he says the grease comes with it.I did not get grease,do they recomend grease or have they changed the install to dry?

I installed mine yesterday. It did not come with grease. I tried to install it dry but that was never going to work. I put some grease on it and it went in with a light mixture of finesse and force.

TymeSlayer

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Pitt302 said:

You should have gotten grease with the insert. I would highly reccommend using some for the install. It just makes life easier.

Had mine sitting in a bag for almost 2mos, put it in this weekend and could feel a little vibration in first and second. Washed the car and parked in the garage. Drove it this morning and really couldn't tell it was there. Tried a hard 2-3 shift and fish tailed (forgot it was 27 deg outside) :p If I get a chance to try 4-5 (where I've been locked out before) I'll see how it works out for me. Mine had no grease also, and after a few pushes and fail, I added some PET and she slipped in place easily. I don't think I'll pull it out and drill the hole in it since I can barely notice the vibes.

Chris

Thats great,thanks for that.I need to get myself a service manual.While I have the car jacked up I have a JHR stainless clutch line to replace the plastic one.I was also thinking about replacing the transmission fluid,ford is using a dual clutch fliud, I read a lot of good thing about Redline MTL on this site but not a replacement for Ford fliud specs. Unsure about what to use.I have put a MGW shifter in already and love it,so with the Whiteline Bushing insert, JHR SS high volume clutch line and Amsol Dot 4,Tranny Fluid would be the last improvement for shifting this Car,short of Clutch replacement which I dont plan to do at this time.What Fluid would you all recommend?

my whiteline bushing didn't come with any lube either. for sure wasn't going in without some. instead of hacking up the new bushing I decided to use the leftover dynamat from my mgw install and did a little custom job on the mating surfaces of the trans crossmember. worked out perfectly. no increase in nvh and can easily be removed

Mine had no lube, either. We used a press and it went right in but even without one I probably could have tapped it in with a rubber mallet. I didn't trim any off and thankfully haven't really noticed any increase in NVH. I had the opportunity to do a lot of high rpm shifts this weekend and not a single lockout like I used to sometimes have. I still haven't driven it enough for my experience to be definitive, but so far I am very happy with it. It is so cheap and easy to do that I would highly recommend it to anyone with an MT82.

My insert arrived back in August with a small grease packet included (what appeared to be moly grease), but it sounds like Whiteline no longer includes the grease. No big deal... just use whatever moly or other bearing grease you might have laying around, or buy some at an auto parts store (although I'd avoid using white lithium grease). You only really need to grease the center lobe of of insert... that's the tight fit, or at least it was on mine. A slight tap with a small ball peen hammer, long socket wrench handle, long screwdriver handle or what have you, will get it started and you can push it in the rest of the way with your fingers. Easy!

(BTW...You can see photos I took of my install on page 3 of this thread.)

Have not got mine in yet,but I was also thinking of using Dynamat some how to reduce the NVH .I did not think about putting it between the mating surfaces.Do you think it would loosen up over time with Dynamat between?

TymeSlayer

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
dabossinne said:
My insert arrived back in August with a small grease packet included (what appeared to be moly grease), but it sounds like Whiteline no longer includes the grease. No big deal... just use whatever moly or other bearing grease you might have laying around, or buy some at an auto parts store (although I'd avoid using white lithium grease). You only really need to grease the center lobe of of insert... that's the tight fit, or at least it was on mine. A slight tap with a small ball peen hammer, long socket wrench handle, long screwdriver handle or what have you, will get it started and you can push it in the rest of the way with your fingers. Easy!

(BTW...You can see photos I took of my install on page 3 of this thread.)

Just curious. Why would you avoid the lithium grease?

TMO Supporting Vendors