The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Whiteline Transmission Bushing Insert

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I was looking at the Vorshlag website and ran across this new bushing for the MT82 transmission in our Mustangs. Seems Vorshlag also has found out that aftermarket shifters do not solve the shifting lockout issue many of us have been experiencing. They think this bushing stiffens up the trans mount enough to remove enough movement to keep the trans and shifter in alignment while under load on a track. For approximately $35 this looks like a no-brainer. Does anyone know if you can get to this mount without removing the transmission? I'm not quite sure I've ever seen it before. Here's the article, link and photos.

http://www.vorshlag.com/forums/showthread.php?p=57592#post57592

"Whiteline Updates + New Trans Bushing Insert

We finally had time to add the Whiteline transmission bushing insert to the stock Mustang trans mount. The factory rubber trans mount bushing has massive voids that don't help the stiffness of this bushing one bit (see the picture, below left). Air is a terrible bushing material. Why does this matter? Well the Getrag MT-82 has a remote body mounted shifter, and the drivetrain is mounted on its own bushings. So when the transmission is loaded up (either with lateral g forces or under torque load) it moves relative to the body, and the shifter doesn't always then line up properly when you are trying to shift loaded up. This has been plaguing us for a while, and the "just add an aftermarket shifter" option doesn't fix the fact that the transmission is moving relative to the remote mounted shifter. At the NASA @ MSR-Houston event in January both Amy and I figured out quickly that we needed to shift earlier or later than we wanted to avoid shifting while in a high speed corner - because we would miss the shift every time. BONK! Frustrating.

Whiteline sent us the first prototype for this brand new KDT928 part, which is similar to other bushing "void inserts" they make for other cars. They were waiting for our feedback before they went to production - we gave them a big "yes, please!". This is an elastomer bushing insert that just pops into place and fills the air gap in the factory rubber bushing. We don't have official pricing yet but I was told the price "should be about the same as similar inserts we make", (so about $35). I have an open order for more, because this thing just flat-out works. Super easy to install (no tools, no effort!) and it firms up the transmission mounting nicely. Now installing this will add a little extra NVH (noise-vibration-harshness), just in case you are wondering.

Amy picked up the Mustang after we installed the insert and immediately came back after leaving the parking lot and said "Hey, something is different here...?" It isn't bad at all, just a little more NVH, and nothing like going to a full poly trans mount bushing would be. It just removes some of the air gap and firms the mount up a good bit. We should have these in stock before too long and I will post up in this thread when they are ready."

DSC_6718-XL.jpg
DSC_6725-XL.jpg

Thanks for posting! Yes, have seen that post on the Vorshlag site, and I too am wondering when it'll be available for purchase (they don't show it yet as being available). Cheap, simple to install, helps solve a persistent shifting problem... a "no-brainer" mod for sure.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Looks like they took the crossmember off, to unload the bushing and allow the spacer to slide in. That means support with a jack of some sort (they are using a long pole-jack in the pic).

I'm interested in getting this, however Chris and I are thinking that this might be best teamed with some aftermarket motor mounts as well.

ArizonaGT said:
Looks like they took the crossmember off, to unload the bushing and allow the spacer to slide in. That means support with a jack of some sort (they are using a long pole-jack in the pic).

I'm interested in getting this, however Chris and I are thinking that this might be best teamed with some aftermarket motor mounts as well.
Was thinking the same thing and already have the Prothanes installed....

Ah, the 43rd MT-82 fix :eek: It may help a little but I would not expect too much. Yes the design of the MT-82 and stock shifter are simply stupid - the bigger problem is the clutch/pressure plate. Sorry to sound like a jerk but I'm so happy I'm not chasing this problem around in circles anymore.

drano38

Wayne
Looks interesting.
With dumb luck, I guess I've got one of the better transmissions since mine shifts pretty good (or I'm too dumb to know better!).
I'm not an engineer, but are the factory drive line bushings/mounts softer because it prevents stress on the components? And do stiffer motor mounts, tranny mounts, etc then cause more stress on the system?
Sometimes fixing one week point creates another.
Don't know--just thinking out loud.

They are softer to make the car quieter inside, vibrate less, be more comfortable. You definitely feel the engine rumbling, and some people might not like it and Ford would lose some sales.

IMHO, the harder mounts COULD cause some damage to the chassis, but only in a situation where that is the LEAST of you problems :) Harder mounts will not allow the engine and trans to twist as much when you are applying torque so maybe there would be a little more mechanical shock to the gears if you use the clutch like an on-off switch. That is just my opinion though.

Auto manufacturers build cars for the general public, even their specialty cars. They make compromises to try and meet the biggest possible market.
Sadly they decided to make all of those compromises in the transmission of the Boss. The aftermarket will and has improved many aspects of the MT82 issues and made it Semi decent.

Could Ford have gone with a better system for a ( "race ready car" ) definately. They chose to compromise so they could appealed to the widest possible market because they knew that a lot of those cars would not be sold to racers.

I have no idea other than maybe cost, why Ford would choose the MT82 over the Tremec that comes in the Shelby and the Race only versions of the Boss. Seemed like a no brainer to put the good transmission in the " race car".

But a couple thousand dollars later in aftermarket parts, the MT82 does shift OK, but just OK.

What motor mounts do you guys recommend? Im doing LTs and since I have to lift the motor, I thought why not put in new mounts. Im looking for something stiffer and with a lower profile. Any suggestions? Hopefully everything will come together to help with shifts,

1. MGW Shifter
2. BG Synchroshift II Transmission Oil
3. Whiteline Insert
4. Stiffer motor mounts
5. Clutch-Assist spring removed
6. One-Piece drive-shaft

Sarosh

sadil said:
What motor mounts do you guys recommend? Im doing LTs and since I have to lift the motor, I thought why not put in new mounts. Im looking for something stiffer and with a lower profile. Any suggestions? Hopefully everything will come together to help with shifts,

1. MGW Shifter
2. BG Synchroshift II Transmission Oil
3. Whiteline Insert
4. Stiffer motor mounts
5. Clutch-Assist spring removed
6. One-Piece drive-shaft

Sarosh
I went with these Prothane mounts. It keeps the motor at factory height. So far so good. There's a little additional NVH in the wheel and seat and when you turn the key the car shakes a little, which I kind of like ;)

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/PT-6505BL/2005-09-Mustang-Urethane-Motor-Mounts

MLM

Mike
NewBossowner said:
Auto manufacturers build cars for the general public, even their specialty cars.

This, and they wanted to build a car that was just as durable and usable as a DD as any other mass market Mustang, I think that was a big goal of the project.

The Boss engineering program was subject to the corporate design requirements and cost limitations, they did the best they could with what was in the parts bin and focused on improving the 5.0 to make the car special and still keep it appealing to the mass market, meeting CAFE etc., and profitable for Ford. In the Donald Farr book they talk about having to keep the grille closed enough to meet the snow ingestion requirements for all Mustangs, even though clearly the Boss is not drivable in the snow with the stock tires, snow ingestion is the least of your problems in this car. Instead you get heat problems on the track, which is where the Boss is expected to be used, go figure. All in all I think they did an amazing job with the car given the constraints. Look at the Camaro SS 1LE, seems kind of pathetic by comparison to the Boss based on a recent MotorWeek review I just saw, it's Chevy trying to replicate the Boss mass market appeal on the cheap IMHO.

I was looking into Prothane, but couldnt find anything for 11-14' models. I guess you made them fit! +1 on increased NVH, the cabin is wayyyyyy tooo docile haha.

The adjustable mounts look attractive too, to get the engine lower (i think max is 3/4" from what I have seen). I dont even track much, but I just feel a lower engine with stiffer mounts will make the car feel better that little extra bit.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
I have the BBR adjustable motor mounts in my boss now. They made the shifter feel even more solid. I will be getting that trans bushing when ever it comes out as well.

I was able to get the stock motor mount bushings out without cutting the studs off.....

And motor mounts are the same from 05-14. The ones I installed in mine I had bought years ago for my 06 GT and never put them in cause the tubular k-member I installed ended up having its own motor mounts included.

Thanks Justin,

Coincidentally, I placed an order for BBR mounts yesterday. Are you using the full red, red/black, or full black bushing set up? Did you keep the motor mount at stock height or did you lower it? Thanks.

I would also like to add that I am already on the waiting list for the mounts from Vorshlag, so I will let everyone know if I get word on them. Anyone who's interested, contact Vorshlag so they get enough units from Whiteline when available.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
sadil said:
Thanks Justin,

Coincidentally, I placed an order for BBR mounts yesterday. Are you using the full red, red/black, or full black bushing set up? Did you keep the motor mount at stock height or did you lower it? Thanks.

I would also like to add that I am already on the waiting list for the mounts from Vorshlag, so I will let everyone know if I get word on them. Anyone who's interested, contact Vorshlag so they get enough units from Whiteline when available.
I am using the RED/Black combo. it didnt come with all black. Said the black/red combo was for drag racing and autocross. NVH isnt to bad you can really feel it start up now and feel it lope at idle

TMO Supporting Vendors