The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Whiteline Watts link/ axle bleeder valve

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pufferfish said:
can someone tell me what thread size fits in the axle breather? thanks!

I finally found out what the threads are in the top hole on the axle cover. It is 7/16-20 or same as AN 4 threads. I had the hardest time trying to figure this out since I assumed it was metric. The setup I have pictured in the thread is using -AN 6 hose and now the correct -AN 4 to -AN 6 adapter.

Anyone tried the Steeda solution?
Looks similar to the one Yellowboss posted (trunk mounted, 1 line with breather on canister)

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
wouldn't a trunk mounted vent make the cabin smell like gear oil? which is by the way, one of the worst smelling things and takes weeks to dissipate once the smell is introduced into the cabin (without a drop landing anywhere).

pufferfish said:
wouldn't a trunk mounted vent make the cabin smell like gear oil? which is by the way, one of the worst smelling things and takes weeks to dissipate once the smell is introduced into the cabin (without a drop landing anywhere).

Err, yes it would. I didnt think gear oil smelled that bad. But I guess I was wrong!

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
come on! you aren't serious, right? whale oil? well, it would explain why that stuff has such a potent "aroma". in any case, I am working on a diff breather now for my car and it will not be venting into the trunk. I had my original gearset in a box sealed with a garbage bag in my trunk for 4 hours and the windows needed to be cracked for a week to get rid of the smell!

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Very serious.

While an excellent time to change gear oil is when the differential has to be drained for axle service and the like, it's always best to consult your owner's or service manual for proper intervals. Not just any oil can stand up to the extreme pressures dished out by the constant lashing of the differential gears. The oil must be able to withstand the shocks and loads created by the transfer of engine horsepower and torque to the wheels. Right up until commercial whaling was largely outlawed in the 1970s, a major component of this high-pressure lubricant came from sperm whales. These compounds have since been replaced with more modern manufactured equivalents.

From Mobil technical paper.
Steve

TMO Supporting Vendors