The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Who can give me pointers before I go to VIR this weekend?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duane Black

Curbs go brrrppp
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Durham, NC
Greetings Muscrat nerds!

I'm posting my last video from VIR, where I experimented for the first time on 200tw tires, and have my best laps with both in this video.

I'm wondering what I should do next to get the most out of the car and improve again? I wonder if the lap times will be there as I'm now on the RS4. Interestingly to me, here are my thoughts, and I want to know if I'm on the right track.

This is my fastest lap, yet due to traffic, I was turning into turn 1 WAY earlier than I usually would. Is this coincidence? (After all, later in the lap I get a little draft off a Jaguar!) In my Road Atlanta thread, I was told by maybe @Grant 302 ? to get off the DE line? Perhaps I should listen?

So I've spent a lot of time looking at Turn 1....

1st, should I turn in earlier?
2nd, should I use more of the inside curbing?
3rd, I suppose I should track out more? I found a dip out there and previously didn't see a lot of difference in going wide but it seems most professionals do, so I guess I should find my big nomex and find some more speed there?

With all that in mind, horseshoe is my favorite turn at VIR. You can trail brake it in, and use the throttle to drive it off. I can think of very few other corners where you can really steer with the pedals to the extent you can in horseshoe.

I feel like I'm doing well in NASCAR bend, and up the uphill esses... maybe there's a bit more in southbend but hey, we'll see. It takes brave pills to run that whole section of track.

Oak Tree... I was faster on my Michelin's than Bridgestones, which tells me I was either subconciously giving that Jaguar too much room or I'm not consistent enough through here. I suppose I should be trying to look further through the corner, get a wider track through 11, and be on the power sooner in oak tree?

I feel like I'm good in the roller coaster and hog pen - always got to find a way to be on power sooner in hog pen though!

So, is my analysis on point? I can't find my old screenshots of my data from here, unfortunately.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
^ They'll know.

So I've spent a lot of time looking at Turn 1....

1st, should I turn in earlier?
2nd, should I use more of the inside curbing?
3rd, I suppose I should track out more? I found a dip out there and previously didn't see a lot of difference in going wide but it seems most professionals do, so I guess I should find my big nomex and find some more speed there?

1. I think so. Looks like you're pinching off the turn a little. I'm guessing braking a little earlier than needed for longer than needed. Notice how you carry about the same speed when there's traffic. You turn in later at the 2:57 mark when there's no traffic. Seems late to me, and you're fighting to turn to the curb and don't quite make it.
2. Depends on your setup. If your damping and camber are enough...I don't see why not. I don't see it shaving time if it upsets your car.
3. I think so. It's a bit of proof that you can carry more speed there.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Duane
Your lines look pretty good, don’t go any earlier into one, carry as much trail brake as possible down to a slightly late apex then hammer full on from there out. I am assuming you have a V6 by the top speed numbers I’m seeing so momentum is key. The uphill esses were good. Turn 10 you pinched a little but that is a pucker corner. Oak Tree exit could be wider out over the curbing to get on full throttle a fraction early. Nick will be there this weekend, look for the Grey #58 GT4 looking machine. He will give you even better analysis than I can. Have fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Duane Black

Curbs go brrrppp
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Durham, NC
Thanks! Yeah it's a V6 and an automatic (sport shift saves it)! It actually started life as a Hertz Rental Car.

I was at this point working on commitment to staying in the throttle up the uphill esses, and ended up wide at south bend. I'm thinking maybe I should breath the throttle at the top of the esses to hold the car tighter, we shall see.

TMO Supporting Vendors