The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Who has cammed their Boss? Would your recommend it during the warranty period?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

REAL 1

Death smiles at everyone. Army Rangers smile back.
I am wadding deeper into the mod pool. Thinking of doing cams too.

What cams would you guys recommend? FRPP has the kit with the CJ intake. Are there other choices that would be recommended? Would you do this during the warranty period?

Thanks.

Happy New Year to all.

Only other cams that I know of is Comp Cams. Stage 2 or 3. If you have money that needs to be spent you can have custom grind cams done.

As for warranty and cams..... I would not even think about doing cams under warranty.
Well maybe you can think about it. To me the warranty is just to important.
However.... If you do know a dealer who will take care of you, then the sky is the limit.
I'm a big cam fan also. I just keep telling myself <<SOMEDAY>>.
Hell, I have new kook headers in the box still. There sitting in my garage untill that day comes. For me I have another 16 months to go on the warranty.

Good luck on your choice and I would love to hear it if you go that route.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
superhero said:
For me I have another 16 months to go on the warranty.

Maybe even longer if you think about your Powertrain warranty.

I passed my 3 year delivery date last month and have a set of Ceramic Coated Kooks Super Sports on the way. I went with the shorties so I could keep my OEM and TracKey tunes.

Enjoy,
Dave

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
CT
302 Hi Pro said:
Maybe even longer if you think about your Powertrain warranty.

I passed my 3 year delivery date last month and have a set of Ceramic Coated Kooks Super Sports on the way. I went with the shorties so I could keep my OEM and TracKey tunes.

Enjoy,
Dave

Are the shorties worth much in the top end for tracking the car? I'm on the "no powertrain upgrades until warranty expires" train, and to the OP question about cams, I highly doubt any dealership would support a claim with cams, which is enough to scare me off. But plenty of folks do modifications that would void the warranty at their own risk.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Cams=tune and tune=no warranty.
You can boost power A LOT with out going into the engine. Long tubes, CJ and tune you are looking at 460-475 RWHP relatively safe and you don't have to open the engine.
Can always do cams and fresh valve springs on top of that down the road for another 20-30 a little less safely. After that you are about tapped out with out going to more displacement, more aggressive tune or forced induction.
Simple formula.

I am running a bone stock engine with the stock tune and the Kook Shorty Headers. If you saw my car, I doubt very seriously that they would honor any warranty implied or otherwise. What do you think Steve?

How much hp gains do you get with the shorty headers versus longer ones? Thanks for educating me.

I've had my car dyno'ed twice. In the summer it hit 395 RWHP and when it cooled down this fall (temp around 50), it was 408 RWHP. I can give you the LT numbers later this month once I'm done with the install.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
If you kept the OEM tunes, but did a few bolt ons, Ford should honor your warranty. Problem is some Ford Retailers think they have that authority.

Wouldn't they have to prove the bolt on caused the failure before any warranty claim was denied?

Dave

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Bill your car is a 302S in disguise. engine wise they would honor it depending on what broke and what the ECU said. Rest of the car doesn't have anything left that came from the factory so not much for them to worry about ;D
That is the same for a lot of us.

Just a small tale about cams, a former member here has a '12 Yellow Blaze Boss that he runs in NASA AIX. Car is fast, driver also fast but not the best mechanic and has all his work done at race shops. Anyway he ordered custom grind cams from MMR and a CJ intake and had them installed. Cost was over $5500. Car already had full kooks headers and exhaust and made about 445 horsepower. After the first install in which the cams were improperly degreed in, the car made 489 hp and lost 20 lb/ft of torque. After arguing with his shop and MMR he got them to reset the cams and retune the car, it makes 508 hp at the wheels. That's big money to gain that 60 hp and I wouldn't bet too much on how long the stock bottom end will go being on that ragged edge and 8100 rpm. I would again say that that is about the NA upper limit and what it costs to get there with cams.
Steve

From what I heard, anything not stock attached to the engine will give them cause to reject. In my case I have non OEM wiring, radiator, clutch/flywheel, driveline, headers, oil pan and oil cooler. It gives the dealer probable cause to say the non-stock components contributed to the failure.

I just had my Ford dealer install the Ford Racing CAMs, CJ Manifold and TB. My tune is being worked on now at different shop and hope to have that completed by the end of January. My Ford guys told me my warranty will still hold, although the FR parts just installed have a different warranty than the original parts. Part of this is I work with a very good dealer and have had them do 100% of work. The only thing they have not done is my tunes.

REAL 1

Death smiles at everyone. Army Rangers smile back.
Re: Who has cammed their Boss? Would your recommend it during the warranty perio

So it seems the consensus is don't do cams.

Ford should continue the warranty with their FRPP CJ and cam kit.

All I can say is.....Ford the Blue Oval should of kept as an option the TRUE LOPEY IDLE for the floks who wanted that cam affect. They could of marketed it as an off road tune. Anyone have a video clip of that.
Not the water down one that you get with TK today. It was the orginal Lopey Idle before carb stepped in. I know I would of purchased it. Then a set of headers and full exhaust and music to our ears.
I wonder if there was more into it than just emissions.

superhero said:
All I can say is.....Ford the Blue Oval should of kept as an option the TRUE LOPEY IDLE for the floks who wanted that cam affect. They could of marketed it as an off road tune. Anyone have a video clip of that.
Not the water down one that you get with TK today. It was the orginal Lopey Idle before carb stepped in. I know I would of purchased it. Then a set of headers and full exhaust and music to our ears.
I wonder if there was more into it than just emissions.
There was. The lopey idle has a lot of unburned fuel and would ruin your cats quickly. So quickly that Ford would have been replacing cats under warranty. We were never going to get THAT lopey idle.

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
I'm not saying don't do cams, just don't expect Ford to fix it if the engine pops. All due respect to John and if his dealer does repair a failure that occurs with Ford Racing parts more power to him but Ford Corporate policy is to not warrant any assembly that fails or is damaged by modified parts and or programming not originally installed on the car. Yes there have been instances where dealers overlook certain items and process warranty repairs on modified cars but I don't know of any engine failure that are not investigated by the Regional Ford Service Advisor prior to authorizing warranty repair or replacement. Ford Racing parts come with a 2 year 24,000 mile warranty against failure due to manufacturing defects, this policy excludes parts used in competetive racing event (that is a Paradox, maybe that's why it's Ford Performance now), and does not cover labor involved in such repairs that are warranted. Ford also issued the now famous dealer bulletin regarding flash tunes on their vehicles and how that applies to warranty coverage.

In conclusion if you have a really good relationship with your dealer ($15000 good) then tell them what you plan on doing and go for it. If you are planning on blindly installing these upgrades and expecting them to replace damaged parts for free then I would say you are fooling yourself. I believe these are good engines with a solid design that can hold up to that level of power and rpm, but not for a 150000 mile lifespan.

TMO Supporting Vendors