The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Who is running 285s up front?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Domestic Product

Big fat tires and everything !
OK to add to the conversation , my favorite company has done some test fitting ,
http://vorshlag.smugmug.com/TechArticles/S197-Mustang-wheel-teesting/16391742_Wc59x5#!i=1086061077&k=5fnpvRG

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
NFSBOSS said:
For those that care about this here's where the wheels are made:

Enkie - Japan
Team Dynamics - UK
Forgestar - China
Jongbloed - China?

I thought that forgestar did everything here in Anaheim, CA. Pretty sure they do the machining and powder coating here. Not sure about the casting and flow forming. I would believe cast blanks could come from China. I think it would make sense to have the flow forming done here with the machining.

I've been to their facility and the painting, drilling and machining for back spacing are done here. I believe the rest comes from China. Isn't the flow forming and casting part of the same process? It's not a big deal to me and our stock wheels are made in China and my SVT wheels are made in Taiwan.

NFSBOSS said:
Of the wheels discussed in this thread and in their price range my impression is the Enkei's are the lightest and highest quality. Only negative is you use centering rings and as I've found out that's not as big of a deal as I thought it might be. I've been to both SCCA World Challenge and IMSA Grand Am races and I was surprised how many teams use Enkei wheels. I think the Team Dynamics, Forgestar and Jongbloed wheels are all nice and should work fine. If you want 11" wide wheels then Forgestar is just about the only game in town at this price point.

Cortex states that you can run 315's all around using their front dampers with their built in offset but that's on 18" not 20". I suspect you'll run into clearance issues with 20"'s.

No intention to run 20", I will run 18", likely Enkeis with 295/35-18 Rivals

Neema - could you tell me about your experiences with the R888s in 285 and 315 on 20s? I saw your car with that setup on another forum and even though I tell myself I don't want dubs, I keep looking at the pics of your car and seeing it's overwhelming awesomeness!

I've been corresponding with a Forgestar dealer and the 20x11s CF5 only weighs 27lbs which seems decent to me for such a huge wheel.

Champale said:
Neema - could you tell me about your experiences with the R888s in 285 and 315 on 20s? I saw your car with that setup on another forum and even though I tell myself I don't want dubs, I keep looking at the pics of your car and seeing it's overwhelming awesomeness!

I've been corresponding with a Forgestar dealer and the 20x11s CF5 only weighs 27lbs which seems decent to me for such a huge wheel.

They look nice (they worked their magic on you 8)) and get noisy after a while, especially since you can't rotate them to even out tire wear. They stick like superglue at first, even when cold, then revert to sticking like regular glue thereafter. I never used them on track, so I don't know how they handled heat, but with my wheel/tire package weighing almost 10 lbs more per wheel compared to an 18" wheel/tire, I wasn't interested. I was so naive back then ::)

Hah I hear ya completely, Neema. I am definitely a 'function before form' guy so big rims aren't usually something I would even be looking at but with the paucity of suitable tire choices for my needs (i.e. correct overall diameter and grip, grip, and more grip), I have had to expand my horizons and look at things like 20" wheels.

I really appreciate all of your insight and help. Thank you again.

John

Champale said:
Hah I hear ya completely, Neema. I am definitely a 'function before form' guy so big rims aren't usually something I would even be looking at but with the paucity of suitable tire choices for my needs (i.e. correct overall diameter and grip, grip, and more grip), I have had to expand my horizons and look at things like 20" wheels.

I really appreciate all of your insight and help. Thank you again.

John

Of course. Don't forget to update us with whatever route you decide to choose.

I will keep you posted, am going to try to wait a little longer and see if some better tire and size options become available this spring. My head is spinning with too many options!

John

Update: I got 19x10 Boss 302S wheels for all 4 corners along with Bridgestone RE-11s in 285/35/19 for them. I haven't had too much opportunity to drive it yet, in part because I am little concerned about the front strut bolt clearance and haven't had a chance to shim or trim it down. How much clearance is adequate? I have probably 1/4-3/8" just eyeballing it and I can't imagine that the top of the tire would ever be in that much flex but I don't want to prove myself wrong!

If you're talking about the sway bar end link stud, you can either trim it like you mentioned, or you can space it back with some washers behind the bracket in the strut. Both with give you clearance.

Thank you, Neema. Yes of course, the sway bar endlink bolt that mounts to the midpoint of the strut. How much clearance is 'adequate'? Will that part of the tire (I.e. the very top of the tire) ever deflect very much under cornering load?

Champale said:
Thank you, Neema. Yes of course, the sway bar endlink bolt that mounts to the midpoint of the strut. How much clearance is 'adequate'? Will that part of the tire (I.e. the very top of the tire) ever deflect very much under cornering load?

The deflection of the top of the tire is minimal. Most deflection happens on the contact patch. That said, the most you'd ever want to space the stud back is to the point where the tip is aligned with the strut housing itself. No point in going farther back since the tire would be in contact with the something else already. Granted, this is probably something like 7mm, but all you're looking for is ~3mm of room.

Or you can just dremel the hex shaped tip off and be done with it.

Excellent info, thank you. I think there is plenty of clearance but I may shim the bolt out with a couple of washers just for peace of mind. I am looking forward to trying the new tires out.

UPDATE: Changed from the Ford Racing wheels to 19x10 Forgestar CF5s and saved about 10lbs/wheel. It is very noticeable, less steering kickback over bumps and much lighter steering when in 'sport' mode. Call Paul at Howey Industries for ordering and fitment help if anyone is interested.

Also, Tirerack now has the 285/35/19 BFG Rivals in stock for $292/each (not showing on their website yet). I may get a set to replace the RE-11s I am currently running. The Bridgestones are a good tire for my purposes, don't get me wrong, but the Rivals supposedly have even more dry grip so they might be worth a try. If anyone has any feedback/comparison of the 2 tires, I would be interested in hearing it.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Champale said:
UPDATE: Changed from the Ford Racing wheels to 19x10 Forgestar CF5s and saved about 10lbs/wheel. It is very noticeable, less steering kickback over bumps and much lighter steering when in 'sport' mode. Call Paul at Howey Industries for ordering and fitment help if anyone is interested.

Also, Tirerack now has the 285/35/19 BFG Rivals in stock for $292/each (not showing on their website yet). I may get a set to replace the RE-11s I am currently running. The Bridgestones are a good tire for my purposes, don't get me wrong, but the Rivals supposedly have even more dry grip so they might be worth a try. If anyone has any feedback/comparison of the 2 tires, I would be interested in hearing it.

Four CF5Vs saved me 42.7lbs overall. LS set-up 19x9 and 19x10 . They run mighty sweet with my MT street comps.

Forgedstars are made in Taiwan than dropped over to Anaheim. I was going to try to offer a rotary forged wheel from their manufacture.

Also Forgedstars 19x11's weigh 29 lbs. Their 20x11 weigh 32lbs (same as our stock front wheels)

I'm running a 19x10 front +40 offset with a 285/30/19 tire, and a 19x11+55 rear with a 305/30/19 tire.

I'm planning to switch to a 295/30/19 up front soon.

If your going to run a 20x11 may will need a adjustable pan hard bar. Otherwise one side may rub.

Below are pics of my Seven Forged Wheels that I built for my car.

They are forged monoblocks that weigh 21lbs front 23lbs rear.

14450495759_8bbb3aacc2_c.jpg

11407544484_b939abac83_c.jpg

NJ
I'm currently running the 19x10 FR SVTPP style wheels on all four corners with an 1/8" spacer. I've run 265/40 and 285/35 up front without issue other then grinding down the sway bar end link bolt a bit. Also tried the 295/35/19's up front without noticeable rubbing but need more seat time to confirm.

These are certainly not the lightest option but they are strong and look good.

19inchSVTPPRims_zps488b0a8b.jpg
DSC_2083_zps7ce0f74a.jpg

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Blue Boss RS said:
Forgedstars are made in Taiwan than dropped over to Anaheim. I was going to try to offer a rotary forged wheel from their manufacture.

Also Forgedstars 19x11's weigh 29 lbs. Their 20x11 weigh 32lbs (same as our stock front wheels)

I'm running a 19x10 front +40 offset with a 285/30/19 tire, and a 19x11+55 rear with a 305/30/19 tire.

I'm planning to switch to a 295/30/19 up front soon.

If your going to run a 20x11 may will need a adjustable pan hard bar. Otherwise one side may rub.

Below are pics of my Seven Forged Wheels that I built for my car.

They are forged monoblocks that weigh 21lbs front 23lbs rear.

14450495759_8bbb3aacc2_c.jpg

11407544484_b939abac83_c.jpg

True the Forgestars are cast in China but they are drilled and milled in the US.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel