The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Who is tracking their car and using the stock brake lines?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seven

Dacia Sandero
How are they holding up?

I'm really hesitant to spend the 200-250 on stainless (which is nutty! Most cars are 100-130 for Front AND Rear) if they stock Boss lines are good.
I'm figuring since FRPP sells them as an upgrade they can't be too bad but I'm interested in hearing what Boss owner's who track the car have to say.

Thanks!

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
I ran stock lines for a year with no problems when I was using Hawk HP pads and threaded tires. Once I went to Carbotech xp pads and slicks I up graded to Goodridge just for peace of mind with increased fluid temps with the race pads. Now that I put the GT500 brakes on I am back to stock type hoses because Goodridge hasn't come out with '13 specific lines. You should be fine, just use good DOT4 fluid, brake ducts and check them after each track event.
Steve

Seven

Dacia Sandero
steveespo said:
I ran stock lines for a year with no problems when I was using Hawk HP pads and threaded tires. Once I went to Carbotech xp pads and slicks I up graded to Goodridge just for peace of mind with increased fluid temps with the race pads. Now that I put the GT500 brakes on I am back to stock type hoses because Goodridge hasn't come out with '13 specific lines. You should be fine, just use good DOT4 fluid, brake ducts and check them after each track event.
Steve
'13 specific?
I have a '13 - tell me more if you can sir!

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
They will probably be fine but I personally would not chance it with something like brakes and the higher temps we can generate at the track. They are not inexpensive but it's a one time cost. Also, the SS lines definitely make a difference in brake pedal firmness and your ability to modulate the brakes. We sell Stop-Tech SS lines which are very good quality for under $200.

-Pete

Seven

Dacia Sandero
steveespo said:
I'm sorry, I installed 2013 GT500 15" 6 piston Brembos. the brake lines are different from the 4 piston calipers on the Boss or GT.
Steve

Got ya, thanks.

Sounds like I'll probably stay stock for this season (maybe 2-3 track events) and upgrade before next (6-10).
Thanks all

I am still on stock lines and have taken my Boss to the track about 7 times so far. You should be fine on the stock lines for quite a while. Just inspect them each time you do a brake bleed or tire swap to make sure they aren't rubbing on anything.

Stock lines.

I view SS brake lines the same way that I do expensive speaker cables - it's not that I won't ever use them (I have), but I know they don't work any better and I doubt seriously that I personally can tell the difference. For the guys who can tell, would you be able to tell how many rubber lines had been converted to SS in a blind test? :p

I did feel a small difference with the new lines when I installed them. Just like Stevepro I used the same starter setup and the factory lines worked great. Racing is a different story and IMHO needed for that, not so much for the occasional track days.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Jimmy Pribble said:
For the guys who can tell, would you be able to tell how many rubber lines had been converted to SS in a blind test? :p

I think I'd be able to tell in back to back testing, but I view the main reason to use them is for durability against melting or abrasion (like from tires or debris).

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Jimmy Pribble said:
Stock lines.

I view SS brake lines the same way that I do expensive speaker cables - it's not that I won't ever use them (I have), but I know they don't work any better and I doubt seriously that I personally can tell the difference. For the guys who can tell, would you be able to tell how many rubber lines had been converted to SS in a blind test? :p

Jimmy

I agree, with new lines it's hard to tell the difference.

With older cars and lines, the difference can be very apparent. Changes the lines on a 66 Vette and felt the difference big time.

I changed mine and put the originals in storage. You never know.

TMSBOSS said:
Jimmy

I agree, with new lines it's hard to tell the difference.

With older cars and lines, the difference can be very apparent. Changes the lines on a 66 Vette and felt the difference big time.

I changed mine and put the originals in storage. You never know.

I tried to temper my comments, because I think they are intended for a very specific (and small) target audience. Basically, new track people hear a lot of things and might think they need to go and buy things they don't. If a guy is on a budget, I would love to help that person understand how little is really needed to go to the track. Even the title of this thread might sound slightly ominous to a newb.

That's one of the reasons that I have been tracking my car (admittedly, not as often as I would like) for almost two years and 20K with stock brake pads and tires and no other substantive mods, except brake cooling ducts. Except for the CEL nonsense, I have had a blast on the track without having to do anything to it. Just like Ford said I could. ;)

I love this forum, because we seem to have different situations, budgets, goals, philosophies, and opinions that get expressed in open-minded and respectful ways. In the end, somebody seeking "the truth" should be able to find it for themselves.

I will most likely buy Monster Cable SS lines because I will be in the mood to do something with my hobby and it is a quick and affordable mod to keep me occupied for a couple of hours on the weekend. :)

TMO Supporting Vendors