The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Whole car vibration @ 135+mph HELP!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Still people that claim summer tires don't flat spot. Even after I posted up this data.
(I am less than a mile away from a 65 MPH highway). Anyway, it''s $100 for the app, might help.

Flat spotted, second order tire vib's over a G.

TIRE%20VIBES%20FLAT%20SPOTTED.jpg

12 miles later. (vibe G's less than 1/10th of what they were cold)

TIRE%20VIBES%20NOT%20FLAT%20SPOTTED.jpg

Vibes are so bad when flat spotted, I think the engine/driveline vibes picked up in the first sheet
were not really there, but bleeding over from the entire car vibrating. I have different dia tires front/back, so
it can tell them apart. If your the same dia all the way around, I think it only gives you one number.

I initially bought it as I too had a whole car vibration, which turned out to be the stock driveshaft carrier bearing "bushing", after only 10K miles, 14, S197. (which I never suspected, took me a while to find).

http://luxjo.supermotors.net/MUSTANG GT/DRIVESHAFT/CARRIER BEARING BUSHING/20220630_150645.mp4

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
This is just another example why TMO is so helpful, on this Forum you get folks who have had issues on track, and often the causes are hard to detect since many on the street never encounter ---- going 135 mph is not common on the Interstates I have been told, ha. Lots to info, plenty of things to check, but the benefit is when you have a question here, you get plenty of data from those who autocross/track their Stangs. What is beneficial is that many of us who are regulars on here, still find information on items they have not encountered or were not aware of.

Good stuff and plenty for us to be thankful for , today , and everyday!

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
What kind of tape is everyone using to keep wheel weights from flying off?
I have found that not all metal foil tape is the same. I have had nest luck with 3M tape

3M 3340 Foil Tape [UL 181 A & B listed/Linered]: 2-1/2 in. x 30 ft. (Silver) https://a.co/d/1qFBYP5

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Good info , TMS, I have been having issues this year with weights staying on and the guys at the Discount Tire I was using said it was not necessary. Well after having them come off twice and causing issues, and they would not fix the issue I am moving on for another source for tires/balancing/etc.
Getting some tape myself may be the best scenario!

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
I have found that not all metal foil tape is the same. I have had nest luck with 3M tape

3M 3340 Foil Tape [UL 181 A & B listed/Linered]: 2-1/2 in. x 30 ft. (Silver) https://a.co/d/1qFBYP5
Curious about the removal when it comes time for new tires - pulls off clean or leaves sticky residue?

Anyone have any tricks or best practices for getting the leftover foam tape from the wheel weights cleaned off? The tire techs are pretty lazy about getting it all the way off and it turns into a magnet for brake dust and track crud.

Here's a start..
Thread 'Your guide to race tire nomenclature..' https://trackmustangsonline.com/threads/your-guide-to-race-tire-nomenclature.18505/

To add to this, I've used something called " grip" tape, ( name comes from.movie sets) it works, but is really messy to remove. Normally we use 3M metal tape on the weights.
A couple of things to keep in mind,
During pit stops the weight area is marked on the outside of the wheel with orange tape, this is so the tire changer won't put the wheels on with the weights next to the caliper, so the heat won't melt the weight glue during the stop.
So any time you stop the car, try to rotate the wheels so the weights are away from the calipers. Also we use a drill mounted abrasive pad, Brakeclean and Scotch Brite to clean the weight/ tape funk off the wheels, this mars the wheel, but we really don't care about that.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Fairfax, VA
Why don’t you test the car safely on Jack stands to remove the wheels as the issue? Take the wheels off and run it. Test it at lower speeds first. I had a vibration and did it. Put the car in 4th and run it up. Waiting for the next track day to test it wouldn’t be necessary. Tip, I put the rear lug nuts on the hub just to keep any vibration away from the disc.

It sounds to me like driveline. Have you had the driveshaft tested for a balance issue? Maybe the weights are slightly off.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
Curious about the removal when it comes time for new tires - pulls off clean or leaves sticky residue?

Anyone have any tricks or best practices for getting the leftover foam tape from the wheel weights cleaned off? The tire techs are pretty lazy about getting it all the way off and it turns into a magnet for brake dust and track crud.
Quick follow-up on removing the remaining foam and adhesive from wheel weights - been wanting to try one of these for a while. 10/10 recommend for this purpose! It really works well when the weights are first removed and the tape is still bright white. I had some spots from the last change that have now been on track and turned black - those took a bit more work, but cleaned up perfectly with a dab of Goo Gone on a cloth.

3M part# 03612. A bit spendy but should last a long time.

409E023E-C9A1-4DD4-864D-3C11D688D778.jpeg

Quick follow-up on removing the remaining foam and adhesive from wheel weights - been wanting to try one of these for a while. 10/10 recommend for this purpose! It really works well when the weights are first removed and the tape is still bright white. I had some spots from the last change that have now been on track and turned black - those took a bit more work, but cleaned up perfectly with a dab of Goo Gone on a cloth.

3M part# 03612. A bit spendy but should last a long time.

View attachment 81393
That's the abrasive wheel I was talking about

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Charlotte
I had similar issue. Turned out it was the drive shaft not balanced properly. Replaced some parts before we found the issue.

I have no experience to share here, but it seems reasonable to suspect the driveshaft or something driveshaft or differential related. This would explain why it doesn’t happen until you reach a high speed. Look at mounts, bushings and bearings. If in doubt, replace them. This is not something you want to live with even for a little while.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Charlotte
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Wisconsin
This is just another example why TMO is so helpful, on this Forum you get folks who have had issues on track, and often the causes are hard to detect since many on the street never encounter ---- going 135 mph is not common on the Interstates I have been told, ha. Lots to info, plenty of things to check, but the benefit is when you have a question here, you get plenty of data from those who autocross/track their Stangs. What is beneficial is that many of us who are regulars on here, still find information on items they have not encountered or were not aware of.

Good stuff and plenty for us to be thankful for , today , and everyday!
Could not agree more!!!!!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Wisconsin
I have no experience to share here, but it seems reasonable to suspect the driveshaft or something driveshaft or differential related. This would explain why it doesn’t happen until you reach a high speed. Look at mounts, bushings and bearings. If in doubt, replace them. This is not something you want to live with even for a little while.
I did see that thank you! I have a FP aluminum. Sounds like I need to get that rebalance.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Charlotte
I did see that thank you! I have a FP aluminum. Sounds like I need to get that rebalance.

It’s something to look at for sure. This is an example of the kind of problem that makes track cars endearing. Track time is precious. Can’t replicate anywhere else. Redoubling our efforts in the shop and sharing info is our best bet. Please let us know what you find.

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Wisconsin
Next time you're on a straight and it vibrates, pop it out of gear and see if it stops, that should isolate the engine and flywheel and help you narrow it down

Need to try this first weekend.

Also might try rolling the windows up. That would rule out any arrow issues with the cabin.

TMO Supporting Vendors