The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Who's going to trade up now to a GT350???? Have to ask on this part of the site.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

We have all seen what the general specs are for the GT350, so Who is going to dump their BOSS, or add one to their stable.
I simply can't afford a 350, and still wouldn't trade my BOSS. I might add when its paid for or win the lottery.

Re: Who's going to trade up now????? Have to ask on this part of the site.

What's the price? That will have a lot to do with it. How many will be produced?

orng302 said:
What's the price? That will have a lot to do with it. How many will be produced?
No idea yet. But alot of these guys on here have put more money into their BOSS than the 350 will cost im sure. Out of my range what ever it is. I had to do some gymnastics just to get into my reg BOSS. lol

I think the price will be close to:

GT350 $60-65K with options
GT350R $70-75K with options

Jamal Hameedi stated that the build numbers will be similar to the GT500 so more than the Boss which is good. Plus the price will keep many away.

I'm probably going to trade up but not until the second year of production. I'm still having way too much fun with my Boss.

NFSBOSS said:

Jamal Hameedi stated that the build numbers will be similar to the GT500 so more than the Boss which is good. Plus the price will keep many away.

I'm probably going to trade up but not until the second year of production. I'm still having way too much fun with my Boss.

agree with you all the way around. Aluminum for the entire front clip and hood, expensive flat plane crank tech (with expensive materials), engine that is currently only for the GT350 model, magnetic suspension, etc. There is a ton to love and hopefully some real weight savings but you are probably pushing 60k base. Thats a BIG jump for those of us that have a base boss.

I will be watching closely from the sidelines and would consider jumping on year 2. I cant afford to have both, but wish i could.

I havent been following the rumor mill much, but any chance this engine makes its way into a return of a supercar GT?

Late adopter, so I will sit on the sidelines....plus I really like the muscle car look of the boss, and I'm not a good enough driver to push this car to the limits yet, and I'm still having a ball with it.

Depending what the specifics are I might add one, but my Boss is going nowhere. One thing that would hold me back is I'm not a fan of the S550 styling, even as a GT350. Maybe it'll be better in person.
We'll see what happens when all the questions are answered.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Boss1815 said:
Depending what the specifics are I might add one, but my Boss is going nowhere. One thing that would hold me back is I'm not a fan of the S550 styling, even as a GT350. Maybe it'll be better in person.
We'll see what happens when all the questions are answered.

I finally saw a couple S550s in-person today, they are gorgeous IMO. Pictures don't do them justice.

I freely admit to stretching my budget to get the Boss in the first place. I have slightly less than four years left to pay it off. I don't envision myself buying a GT350.

I will probably pick one up a few years down the road after the fervor has passed. I admit...i had to have the Boss because the original Boss was always my dream car and being able to have a modern version completely got me. Normally I would wait and buy used but couldn't with this car. I will probably let someone else pay the ADM on a new 350 and realize the depreciation and then get a nice used one maybe 4 or 5 years later at a greatly reduced price.

REAL 1

Death smiles at everyone. Army Rangers smile back.
Re: Who's going to trade up now to a GT350???? Have to ask on this part of the s

I agree that the new GT350 will come in around $60K - $65K. It will fill the GT500 slot. If it does I don't think resale values on tbe Boss will suffer. If the new car comes in at $50K the resale values of the Boss will get crushed. However, I think $65 will be the number plus LETS NOT FORGET THE DREADED ADM'S. Stealerships will add at least $5K to $10K on top.

If you want the latest and greatest you have to jump on a GT350 if you can afford it. However, the Boss has such a good reputation and its limited build will keep it an attractive and desirable car especially after all the hype dies down on the new car. I expect that the GT350 will be at least a 4 to 5 year build with at least 7500 cars a year.

Total Boss build is what?...7000 over just two years.

Keep in mind that there will be improvements each year on the GT350. Don't expect it to remain static. The Boss for '12 adn '13 are identical performance wise and the same car except for front facia.

Further, the new "Shelby GT350" is not a Shelby product it is a Ford product being fully manufactured by Ford and badged "Shelby". Carroll certainly had nothing to do with the new car and to my knowledge neither did SAI. That does not comport with the history of the GT350. The Boss on the other hand was always a Ford manufactured and completed car both in '12-'13 and '69-'70.

If you are using the car for track work alot then once you buy the new car you still need safety upgrades to do it right like a roll bar or harness bar and likely other track improvements that will always be available and suggested. Now you are getting to $70K to $75K. How many are going to put a new $70K to $75K car on the track regularly when they can own a Boss and put the same upgrades in it all in for $45K-to $50K? How many can really drive their Boss to it's full potential on the track. Not many.

The new car is tempting for me but the Boss has such a storied heritage and follows the parallels of history it is clearly a car to keep and enjoy even though the new car is technologically superior. There will always be the latest and greatest but I don't think there will be another Boss for quite some time. Plus it's kinda cool having the best of the last generation S197.

NFSBOSS said:

I think Ford is going to be extremely disappointed with that sales projection. The Z/28 is sitting on the lots at $75K. Some dealers are discounting. I hate to say it, but the *average* driver would rather have a straight line 600-700HP monster than a 500HP canyon runner. If I lived somewhere flat and boring like one of the "I" states, I'd rather have a GT500 or Hellcat myself.

If you want a canyon carver and you get into that kind of money, there are a *ton* of options, including things like a used Nissan GT-R, M3, Cayman or 911. Hell, you could get a low mile C6 Z06 *and* a Focus ST for $75K. A new M4 can be had for $75K if you go easy on the options. You aren't going to get the average BMW/Porsche/Audi customer to sniff a Mustang no matter how good it is, but you will certainly lure a lot of Mustang customers into a BMW/Porsche/Audi/Corvette at those numbers. Another strike against the GT350 is the lack of an automatic. You and I may want a stick, but the average Gen X/Millennial would rather have a DCT or an 8-speed auto like the 'Vette (or dare I say, the Hellcat).

coboss said:
I think Ford is going to be extremely disappointed with that sales projection. The Z/28 is sitting on the lots at $75K. Some dealers are discounting. I hate to say it, but the *average* driver would rather have a straight line 600-700HP monster than a 500HP canyon runner. If I lived somewhere flat and boring like one of the "I" states, I'd rather have a GT500 or Hellcat myself.

If you want a canyon carver and you get into that kind of money, there are a *ton* of options, including things like a used Nissan GT-R, M3, Cayman or 911. Hell, you could get a low mile C6 Z06 *and* a Focus ST for $75K. A new M4 can be had for $75K if you go easy on the options. You aren't going to get the average BMW/Porsche/Audi customer to sniff a Mustang no matter how good it is, but you will certainly lure a lot of Mustang customers into a BMW/Porsche/Audi/Corvette at those numbers. Another strike against the GT350 is the lack of an automatic. You and I may want a stick, but the average Gen X/Millennial would rather have a DCT or an 8-speed auto like the 'Vette (or dare I say, the Hellcat).
I think you may be surprised at how many people still crave a car with a manual. Autoblog posted something a while ago about how it didn't make sense that people still bought manuals because of the benefits of an auto, and yet people still want them. I think you are right though on the price point and that it why I hope the 350 goes for around 65 or so. I think with that price the performance per dollar will be enough to get people to buy it.

I was so excited for yesterday's reveal, and still cant wait for the actual numbers. However, I think its just because I'm a die hard Ford fan and want to see them build something that will shut the competition up. I have been to many shows with my car in the last two summers, a few drag races and such, but even with the exotics and specialty Fords like Roush's, Super snakes and GT500's there, not one car has made me think I bought the wrong car. I dont have the jealous feeling like I used to, and like I said before, even if I won the lottery, I would add to my stable, not trade up. I'm happy I'm not alone. I was beginning to think I was weird or something. lol

Brandon302 said:
I think you may be surprised at how many people still crave a car with a manual. Autoblog posted something a while ago about how it didn't make sense that people still bought manuals because of the benefits of an auto, and yet people still want them. I think you are right though on the price point and that it why I hope the 350 goes for around 65 or so. I think with that price the performance per dollar will be enough to get people to buy it.

The number of people craving a manual is dropping every day. There are still a significant number of people who will accept a manual, and even like it, but the number of people who absolutely will not drive one is increasing. On the new M3/M4 BMWs, only 20% are taking the manual, IN EUROPE. In the US, I'm guessing the number will be much lower.

I hate autos as much as anyone, but Ford needs to face reality. The 2015 Z06 Corvette (and the next-gen Z/28) will be available with the Corvette 8-speed automatic. You can't even buy a Ferrari, Porsche or Mercedes with a manual transmission any more. I'm guessing Ford has an auto in development to put behind the new 5.2L flat plane, and it will appear eventually.

TMO Supporting Vendors