The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Why all new cars look the same

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
Got a kick out of this article:

It touches on the design requirements others have alluded to here in different discussions (by those who have worked at Ford and/or another automotive companies). We all get so frustrated by auto designs for vehicles that we think should look better, or just different than they do. But there are always very strict requirements the designers have to meet - and a lot of those requirements are a result of consumer demand, which doesn't always mean the car will look the way we think it should. Their hands are tied. We shouldn't always blame them. We should blame the average consumer and globalization for all the bland look alike designs.

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
Not mentioned in the article is also having to meet various government standards, like the European pedestrian-protection regulations.

On a sidenote, having been a long-time reader of Road & Track, I'm stunned they allowed an article with that language to be published under their imprint. Car and Driver maybe, but not The Ampersand. Thos L. Bryant and Henry N. Manney III are rolling in their graves. It's been going downhill ever since they left Newport Beach.

I like it when the news posts a pic of some foreign car from India, and talk about what great mileage it gets, everyone cries about how that's the kind of car we need here. Problem is, they don't meet any EPA standards, no DOT crash tests, if they did, they'd look like what we have here. This is one reason the Camaro ended up with "mail slot" side windows, DOT side crash standards changed. As long as the Feds dictate the standard, the design team is limited.
Along those lines, is the DOT requirement for trucks that limit their speed. This is why you follow 2 of them side by side for 60 miles, because they are only about 1mph difference in speed, depending on their load. If anyone needs a "push to pass" it's the trucking industry.

Not mentioned in the article is also having to meet various government standards, like the European pedestrian-protection regulations.

On a sidenote, having been a long-time reader of Road & Track, I'm stunned they allowed an article with that language to be published under their imprint. Car and Driver maybe, but not The Ampersand. Thos L. Bryant and Henry N. Manney III are rolling in their graves. It's been going downhill ever since they left Newport Beach.

Why? we could use some outlaws in the automotive field. Automotive journalism has gone to crap ever since Brock Yates and Pat Bedard left Car and Driver

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
I was really surprised as well.

My Son's Jeep Grand Cherokee looks nice!...He could have gotten one with a Hemi, but he was worried about gas milage...I think He's having second thoughts now............ one reason I didn't get a 6 popper Mustang..............My Boss fills my needs and then some!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
That "article" reads like one of the rants I would send to a friend.

That said, the more new cars I see coming out the more I am convinced I need to hold onto mine. Things were already well on their way before I went overseas, but after being away for four years and coming back, everything new looks the same everywhere. I used to be pretty proud of myself for being able to identify just about every car from blocks away at night just by the design of the headlights, and now I just don't care enough because they're all so similar looking.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel