The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Why did no one warn me . . .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

. . . that changing out the UCA by yourself is a massive, huge, gigantic, colossal, freaking ridiculous pain in the neck???

That is all. Go about your business.

John

Champale said:
. . . that changing out the UCA by yourself is a massive, huge, gigantic, colossal, freaking ridiculous pain in the neck???

That is all. Go about your business.

John
You obviously don't spend enough time reading this forum. ;)

Wow, if you guys can remove the factory UCA and bracket, install a new Whiteline UCA and bracket, and set the pinion angle in an hour - on jackstands and using hand tools in your driveway - I need to come watch how you did it! The fact that the bolt at the top of the differential seemed to be set by the factory at approximately 74,000 ft lbs didn't help!

I've done all manner of minor projects on this car - LCAs, relo brackets, panhard, GT500 mufflers, MGW, etc - with few problems (not to mention countless other projects on other cars, bikes, and trucks) . The UCA absolutely takes the cake.

Steveespo - thank you for letting me know the torque rating - now I feel a little bit better about the fact that it was so hard for me!

Grant 302 - The actual pinion adjustment isn't super easy on the Whiteline but it's not too bad, either. I can see how a more conventional UCA with the adjustment on the shaft would be easier.

Champale said:
I've done all manner of minor projects on this car - LCAs, relo brackets, panhard, GT500 mufflers, MGW, etc - with few problems (not to mention countless other projects on other cars, bikes, and trucks) . The UCA absolutely takes the cake.

To try and put things in perspective, the UCA and bracket are a hell of a lot easier than long tubes....

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
2012Boss302 said:
To try and put things in perspective, the UCA and bracket are a hell of a lot easier than long tubes....
i disagree if you do both bracket and arm at the same takes all of an hour. Long tubes takes min of 4-8 hours depending on brand.

Senderofan

Having more fun than should be allowed..in my Boss
Champale said:
Wow, if you guys can remove the factory UCA and bracket, install a new Whiteline UCA and bracket, and set the pinion angle in an hour - on jackstands and using hand tools in your driveway - I need to come watch how you did it! The fact that the bolt at the top of the differential seemed to be set by the factory at approximately 74,000 ft lbs didn't help!

I agree with you brother! Took about a week to lose the aches and pains associated with the install process. I envy those who have access to lifts and the various air tools that would make the job a 60 minute deal. Having said that....I now appreciated doing the job myself. I feel I've learned a lot more about our suspensions and how to tweak them. My car is on a different level after the upgrades......can't wait to see the difference on the track!

steveespo said:
Torque spec on that bolt is 350 ft/lbs. need to find a 3/4" drive torque wrench or set an Ingersol Rand impact gun to kill. Only part on my chassis I haven't touched yet.
Steve

I could very well be mistaken, but I thought the 350 lb ft number was a misprint. I thought that the number was much more reasonable, bmr says 129 lb ft.
http://www.bmrsuspension.com/siteart/install/UTCA019.pdf

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
steveespo said:
Maybe BMR only needs 129 but the Ford Service manual calls for 350!!!
http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=731&viewfile=SPECIFICATIONS.pdf

Steve
my steeda bracket and UCA called for much lower around the 120's I do believe. came with new bolts. I used a breaker bar with the handle to my jack on the end to break the bracket bolt loose on the inside of the car. I did the entire install with hand tools. like I said not fussing with reusing the stock mounting bracket makes it much easier. the stock bracket is laughable in comparison to my steeda bracket.

BLAZN BOSS

steveespo said:
Maybe BMR only needs 129 but the Ford Service manual calls for 350!!!
http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=731&viewfile=SPECIFICATIONS.pdf

Steve
What diameter is this bolt?

TMO Supporting Vendors