The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Why do you love your Boss?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

With thanks to Rick who encouraged me to post this straight from my blog... I think the below will resonate with many of us.
The joys of Boss ownership. There will always be "better" stuff out there, but that definitely is missing the point:

2013 marks the first year of high power rwd ownership in my life. So how was life in a high octane guzzling, V8 stick axle, "unrefined" monster?

I never imagined that I'd ever own a car of this magnitude. Each day that I looked at the car and sat in it, I felt like it was a dream. All along, I've driven tiny, slow 4 cylinder econoboxes and took these machines to the track. Going from a variety of 16 valve straight 4s wedged in cars meant to save gas and upgrading them to be better suited to track use....to finally what is a true, purpose built car for the circuit was, to put it lightly, an eye opener. This thing is fast, capable, communicative and easy to mess up if you're not careful. Driving it even in familiar circuits required serious focus and anticipation of what the car was going to do next. A lack of anticipation will cause for a mistake costing time.

This thing forces you to be considerate of when to brake and how hard. It requires that the driver is conscious of all touches - how swiftly but softly are you getting off the brake pedal? How smooth is that motion, and how is your transition to the gas pedal thereafter? With a low power car, one has the "luxury" of being all gung ho with the pedals. Give it full gas or full brake one after another, it doesn't really matter. The car is too slow to break traction, and velocity too low for abrupt brake inputs to cause major concern. Not so with this! This is not to say that I had bad habits all along. I'm conscious of inputs, but this thing requires not only being conscious, but true hard edged focus. Taking it to tracks which I've grown up around and have over 10 years of driving experience on (Shannonville) is a brand new experience. In a slow car, an overly familiar circuit may be a bore. This thing makes entertainment out of anything. It eats up the straights between corners. The pace it can throw down is eye popping. The brake dive is also eye popping(!!!). Managing the transition of weight to play with the traction is part of what makes this thing so fun.

In certain situations, I'd merely be driving the thing on the street and I'd stretch out my arm and pat the dashboard a few times and mutter "you're a good car" (LOL)...just purely as a response in awe of how capable this machine really is. Sure, Ford has arguably refined a turd. It can be argued that this chassis was built as a $23,000 rental car. They merely wedged a proper motor in it, built to take the rigors of competition...and refined the suspension to a point where the thing would perform. The fact of the matter is that this car is half the price of an M3, out performs an M3 and is highly competent as a platform. Solid axle, brutish design and high CG. It has all of these elements, and yet it can come out and whoop the butts of most things out there on the circuit. Is it easy to drive? No. It will bite you if you're not careful. But that's not the point of why I bought the car. It's capable, fast, provides the driver with tons of feedback and has very progressive characteristics--it'll ease into understeer, or ease into oversteer and rotation. It won't surprise you. You just need to be smooth.

I was never a muscle car guy, but I always liked the look of the updated Mustang (2010 and on). When the Boss was announced, I drooled over it but simply couldn't afford it. Fast forward to only 2 years later and I have one in my garage. How lucky am I! Purchased date was close to my birthday to boot :D

This thing has become a machine for me where it's one of those things where the car speaks to you. You own a car not just for it's performance capability, but also because of what it emotionally does for you. The feeling you get by driving the car. The retro styling (I like me some old cars!), the wonderful sound (arguably the best sounding cross plane V8) and how engaging it is to drive. Want some mid-corner rotation? No sweat, just prod the throttle a little. Even the hillarious amounts of brake dive and body motion between shifts add to the experience. Yes, neither of these are traits of a good car. But I don't want a clinically clean, perfect car. I don't want a car that does perfect shifts every time (DSG), and nor do I want a car that is so lazer sorted and focused that the odd slide, or the terminal understeer as a result of an overcooked corner are negated (I'm looking at you, Evo). In the days of electric diffs giving you perfect corner entry, and torque vectoring for on power precision or the highly tuned direct injection motor...This car stands up for what driving should be. Driving was never clinically perfect. Cars were not there to make the journey easier for you. It should demand something of the driver. It should be a toy in the hands of a driver. It may not be the fastest, but it'll make your smile the widest. This is the every man's sports car. The working man's machine. The rough and tumble, overly muscled, blue collar brute in the corner which has somehow elevated to such a level that it can take on giants. That alone speaks to me. 17,000 happy & trouble free KM's, 9 track days and 1 race. Enjoyed every second and every cent spent.

Thanks for posting this. I have been getting frustrated at some of the discussion going on at other forums about all the negatives about the Boss lately. This post has renewed my faith in the world a bit.

The ADHD version of this reply:

+1

WOW, that's a lot of reading.

I pretty much have to agree with everything you said.

My Boss is not my daily driver and it's not a track only car. In fact I have only been to the track with it twice with plans for more in 2014.

What I have learned in the two years with this car is more than I have learned in the past 30 years of driving. This car is WAY more capable than I am. I've never owned one of those cars with all the electronic driver aids so I don't know any better.

I like the rawness of this car. I especially like the reactions at gas pumps and stop lights. People literally stop and stare.

It kind of reminds me of my motorcycles. It takes a lot of respect.

boro92, You have the same Boss fever as I (& many others) have. Just starting the Boss brings a smile to my face....& putting it through it's paces is heaven on earth!... My fever is over 2 yrs old with no cure in sight... ;)

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Well said! I cannot ad much more but will say these things from a mechanics point of view;
Easy to work on- the S197 platform is well engineered and thought out for service and repair. Information abounds all over the Internet about tips, tricks, Service Manuals, TSB's etc. Try downloading the service manual for the new M3.

Factory support-Ford Racing and their engineers, race teams and parts department is off the charts. We have so many race parts directly available from Ford, Rehagen, Watson and all the performance oriented Ford Dealers around the country it is phenomenal. We Race what We Sell and Sell What We Race is not just marketing it is reality and I will be the first in line to thank Ford and all the supporting vendors who make going fast so easy and safe.

Affordability- Tell me where you can build a car as fast as inexpensively. Race prepped Mustangs are really fast, and much cheaper than other cars such as the Corvette, 911, M3, Audi RS4/5/6 that have similar performance capabilities at the track. OEM service parts are not expensive at all, ask me, with my accident I had to buy all of the fascia, fender and many underbody parts; new Ford fenders were $137 each!!!, Front bumper cover $289, rear cover $244, order the front bumper cover for a 911 or Boxster from Porsche~$1100 and Pelican is the only Porsche parts house that gives you any break off list price.

Grins, Fun and History- Mustangs have been raced for almost 50 years now. Shelby in SCCA and Trans Am in the 60s, Bud Moore's cars in the 60s and 70s, Jack Roush in the 80s, 90s and today keeping the spirit of the Mustang alive and well. Each time I start the car I smile and think back to the days when I though my 71 Mach 1 or 73 Coupe were super cars with jacked rear suspension and 351 Cleveland engines, or my 10 second supercharged '87 GT that creaked and groaned around every turn even with welded subframe connectors. The car just has that special something, little kids stop on their skateboards and shout "Cool Mustang" or "rev it up" when I drive by. I don't know how many BRZ drivers get the same response. The sound is pure Ford muscle, even with 32 valves and TiVCT it still sounds like a Mustang V8 should.

I think the S197 will become the club racer bargain car for the next 10 years, I got back into track driving after 20 years because of this car, and before I bought it I owned BMW M3, 335i, VW R32, Porsche 911 GT3 and today my daughter's Boxster, but the Mustang made me want to get out there on track. Ford has something like 250 FR500, BOSS 302S and 302 R cars out there plus the 7000+ Street BOSS cars and tens of thousands of Mustang GTs on the road with access to inexpensive 400+ HP engines and 6 speed trans missions. I really think it can be the next E30 325 or Miata out there club racing.

I guess I added more than I thought.
Steve

jneary

Performance Fords
Norcal
The original has so much history. Ford and Bunkie Knudsen did a great job of promoting the race cars. The engine and chassis guys who made it the best of all worlds on the race track, and Larry Shinoda's genius in creating a clean body with those beautiful stripes (69 and 70) which put the cherry and cream on top!!! What a dream team!

Now, Ford has decided to do it again and the dream team that put this one together not only held true to the original cars but used the technology at their disposal to create the current package. It is not easy to make the BMW crowd have respect but when I pass an M3 on the street, they don't look with disdain anymore like "Oh, another piece of $#}^ Mustang!". I haven't had one try to challenge me yet, which is odd (though I have had Honda S2000 owners and other such vehicles do it).

I have owned many Mustangs throughout the years and I loved each one as I find that they all have a personality. The new cars definitely have their own and it just feels good!

John

This car is a home run for Ford. I have enjoyed it immensely and have put 2,000 miles on it this past season. Now it's tuck away in my garage while the white crap comes down by the hour. My first Mustang was an '81 6 cycl. Then an '86 Fuel injected GT. That car was amazing, it was fast, fun, and was brand new to me, my first new car. It was a summer only car and I loved driving it. I took a hiatus from Ford until 2010 when I bought a 2003 convertible GT. That car brought back the old memories of my '86 GT. After three years of ownership and many cruise nightstand car shows I thought that the next Mustang would be special, like a Cobra, Mach 1, or Shelby. Thinking one day I would buy a Shelby came to a screeching hault after I went for a ride in a friend's 2013 SBY BOSS 302. One ride in that car and two weeks later I took delivery of my new 2013 grabber blue boss. It was an emotional decision and one that I have never regretted. It's fast, fun, handles great, and it makes me feel like I'm 18 again. Lol.

I get quit a bit of looks, compliments,and questions. This car may not be rare, but it is unique and I absolutely love driving it anywhere. My wife is very comfortable in the Boss and doesn't mind the occasional spirited driving.

VWGTI123

2012 PW #2558
:)

What he said. I too had an 86 GT, w/paxton SuperCharger! I love and miss that car. Sold my 70 Chevelle SS396 when I saw my now white 2012 Boss. No regrets at all!

Wow some great response to what I thought was a terrific blog post.

I sometimes thing of buying another P car and then I go drive my Boss and that idea quickly fades. While not the fastest or most refined car on the road the visceral experience of this car is amazing. I haven't been using my TK much lately but I used it yesterday and thought you know that does sound pretty cool. Probably the best thing is my buying experience has brought me back into the car world after taking a decade off with family and kids. Now it's great to share with my son like today when we went to Thunderhill to just hang out. I did the same with my dad as as kid...

VWGTI123

2012 PW #2558
302BOB said:
You gotta miss that Chevelle a little bit....no?

Yeh, :'( I do miss the rumble of the Big Block! And the conversations everytime I had it out. But in life we have to make decisions. My plan was to keep the Chevelle forever, but wanted to drive it more and more. But that would hurt the value. That is where the Boss Comes in. It was unique enough, ie limited production and I fell in love with the White/Black combo. Have all white cars.. IDK why? Just love the look of them when detailed. Wanted something that I could drive/enjoy and the Boss was the perfect fit. IDC about nav/cd/sat/sync/radio/etc... Barely use the radio.. the engine note and the feeling/sound is what I really enjoy. Some people get it/some don't

The Chevelle/Now Boss was suppose to be my escape from this hectic world we live in. Chevelle was just toooo nice to drive. Tooo worried all the time. The Boss gets the same care/attention, but gets to strech her legs much more often. Its friggin snowing right now but I just went to the garage and smiled as I look at my car!!! Awesome!

I posted awhile back what did you sell to get your Boss - Many new members since then. So here is the link of the Chevellle and lets see if we can get some new pix. Enjoy your Boss - To me very special car.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=2989.msg48623#msg48623

I totally agree with your reference to "escape". When I'm driving my Boss I'm in a totally different state of mind compared to driving my DD....two different worlds all together! BTW..snowed here too....now sleet & wind....winter starts Friday... :(

steveespo said:
Well said! I cannot ad much more but will say these things from a mechanics point of view;
Easy to work on- the S197 platform is well engineered and thought out for service and repair. Information abounds all over the Internet about tips, tricks, Service Manuals, TSB's etc. Try downloading the service manual for the new M3.

Factory support-Ford Racing and their engineers, race teams and parts department is off the charts. We have so many race parts directly available from Ford, Rehagen, Watson and all the performance oriented Ford Dealers around the country it is phenomenal. We Race what We Sell and Sell What We Race is not just marketing it is reality and I will be the first in line to thank Ford and all the supporting vendors who make going fast so easy and safe.

Affordability- Tell me where you can build a car as fast as inexpensively. Race prepped Mustangs are really fast, and much cheaper than other cars such as the Corvette, 911, M3, Audi RS4/5/6 that have similar performance capabilities at the track. OEM service parts are not expensive at all, ask me, with my accident I had to buy all of the fascia, fender and many underbody parts; new Ford fenders were $137 each!!!, Front bumper cover $289, rear cover $244, order the front bumper cover for a 911 or Boxster from Porsche~$1100 and Pelican is the only Porsche parts house that gives you any break off list price.

Grins, Fun and History- Mustangs have been raced for almost 50 years now. Shelby in SCCA and Trans Am in the 60s, Bud Moore's cars in the 60s and 70s, Jack Roush in the 80s, 90s and today keeping the spirit of the Mustang alive and well. Each time I start the car I smile and think back to the days when I though my 71 Mach 1 or 73 Coupe were super cars with jacked rear suspension and 351 Cleveland engines, or my 10 second supercharged '87 GT that creaked and groaned around every turn even with welded subframe connectors. The car just has that special something, little kids stop on their skateboards and shout "Cool Mustang" or "rev it up" when I drive by. I don't know how many BRZ drivers get the same response. The sound is pure Ford muscle, even with 32 valves and TiVCT it still sounds like a Mustang V8 should.

I think the S197 will become the club racer bargain car for the next 10 years, I got back into track driving after 20 years because of this car, and before I bought it I owned BMW M3, 335i, VW R32, Porsche 911 GT3 and today my daughter's Boxster, but the Mustang made me want to get out there on track. Ford has something like 250 FR500, BOSS 302S and 302 R cars out there plus the 7000+ Street BOSS cars and tens of thousands of Mustang GTs on the road with access to inexpensive 400+ HP engines and 6 speed trans missions. I really think it can be the next E30 325 or Miata out there club racing.

I guess I added more than I thought.
Steve

Steve,

Totally bang on, objective insight right here.
You blew my mind on the cost of panel and bumper skin replacements. That's nuts. You can't even buy a lip for a BMW at those prices :D Totally true too on the massive race backed development of any Mustang (Up to S197 anyways :D). Options are abundant and we can fine tune the car however which way we want--even SLA front suspension options. It's totally crazy. This was precisely one of the things which swayed me to switch platforms. Coming from an E36 M3, I do not look back. This is a solid, solid, proper car that brings so much enjoyment. Glad there are like minds on this board.

There'll always be something better out there...and if one is constantly chasing that "better" thing, you will never stop the chase. Enjoy it. Flog it. Drive it. Wicked car :D

Your post and the reference reminds me of this fine anthem. From Rush's first album. Raw and heavy but complex.

[youtube]http://m.youtube.com/results?q=working%20man%20rush&sm=1#/watch?v=iIGKlicb8n0[/youtube]

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
My Boss is special.

She is blue with white accent on hood and top. Just like my first car a 1968 BB Corvette convert.

I first saw the Boss at the Chicago auto show hours before opening on a Sunday morning. Interesting story. My brother called me the evening before and asked if I wanted to go to Chicago, way to early the next morning and help fix a car on the stage at the show. Yep, a boss. After a two hour drive in from the burbs we arrived at McCormack place. Once the car arrived outside we took a look. OK, big brother took a look, we helped.

Apparently after several if not several hundred dyno pulls the car was running terrible. We guessed the computer was trying to equalize the speed difference between the front and rear axles. As you would imagine, the car ran terrible. Sounded like all the timing was being pulled out by the computer. 20 minutes later, computer was happy. Brother disconnected the ABS power in denying wheel speed info to the computer and all was working.
CIMG1274.jpg
Note the Fire Suppression system required to run a car at the show.

Then the question came. Can you guys come into the show, about 3 hours before open now, and stay around until we are sure the car is fixed??? PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE. Sure. So we rode into the show in a pre production Boss. Very cool.
CIMG1283.jpg

car was put on dyno on stage and run up. Ran great. Our work was done. Now the show was ours to see 2.5 hours before the doors opened for the public.
CIMG1290.jpg
Guy in the middle fixed the car.

There she was, pre production Kona Blue Boss. Same colors as my first car. The car I picked up future wife in for our first date too long ago the remember. I took a few pick on my phone and called my better half for the expected rejection of offer to bring home a new Boss. She said yes. Second time as I remember. ;D
CIMG1295.jpg

I ordered mine through a family connection. Car arrived early May while I was in Afghanistan. Trailered home by my brother with all factory packaging still in place. I unwrapped my new Boss two months latter.

Got To Love It!!

The Boss is the kind of car that makes me feel like I don't care what anyone else thinks of it. You either get it or you don't. In reality though, almost everyone likes it, even people who don't know anything about cars.

The sound is the best part. I run with no restrictor plates, and the GT500 cat back system. I have had several times where I pull up to a light, and the car next to me will roll their windows down to hear the rumble. I do that, too.

I've owned dozens of vehicles, including several other high performance, low production cars, but none can touch the Boss.

Hi all,

Well, I have had a few Mustangs. My first was a '65 hardtop with a 289 HiPo, then an '86 5.0 GT, then an '89 Saleen, and a lot of other very nice American muscle cars, and a Porsche and BMW in between as well. But as I have aged, I really wanted to go back to a RWD muscle car as my last car 'hoo-rah!" I wanted a 1970 Boss 302 back in that era, but could not afford the "EXTREMELY HIGH" $4K price range!!!!

As soon as I saw the 2013 Boss 302 and read a bit about them, I decided to get one. It was very close to the '70 in appearance, and I liked the body trim much better than the '12 Boss. It is strictly a street car for me. It has never been driven in the rain, and never will be. My daily drivers are a '10 FX4 F150 and a Crown Vic PI. The Boss gets driven only on the weekends, and every day I like it a bit more. I have all of 1,600 miles on it now, and have not had any significant issues. I will probably not ever even invoke the TK, as I like the way it drives now. I have only added the GT500 mufflers, and I really like the way it sounds.

The only other thing I will change, when I retire in a few years, will be the transmission. No matter what it takes or costs, I will install a Richmond close ratio 6 speed, a better clutch/scattershield, and probably a set of 3.91 or 4.10 gears. As it is the last 'hot rod' I will have, I just want it to be the exact trans set-up that I want. Probably overkill for a street ride, but so what...it's my time and money!

I love the way the car handles, on the street anyway. I thought about a set of Ford lowering springs and a panhard rod change, but there are just too many speed bumps and dips in the streets here to justify all the dragging that would occur.

I am a very happy owner, at this time at least...and it's very nice to own a piece of 'new history.' Yes...I too love the looks that I get at the gas stations and on the street.

Take care,

JJ

I grew up in a low income familly who never had a brand new car while I lived at home. At a young age, I found a picture of my mom holding me as a baby standing beside a 67 convertable. That image started my lust for Mustangs.
I decided that I would own a Mustang and do whatever it took legally to get one. My sisters freind bought a brand new 1988 5.0 LX and took me for a ride and I fell in Love with Mustangs all over again. I am the only male in my familly history to graduate, and for that I bought my first Mustang at 18 years old in 1990. It was a 70 Grande I bought for $600 and I thought it was the best car in the world. Then came the taunts "garandmas Mustang" from the brand x kids. I sold that one and being broke still, got a 1973 fast back. I thought it was pretty quick until my freind smoked me in his done up 83 Fox. Sold that one and didnt get one until 96 when I got my 86 GT, did it up a bit with bolt ons and ruined my credit doing it. Started collecting Hotwheels and other small Mustang stuff in 1999 because my credit was really bad. When they introduced the new edge in 99 I oogled over them so much it nearly drove me nuts. I got married in 2000 and thought all hopes of getting a new Mustang was over, and gave up the dream.
I got into retail management and slowly built my credit rating back up and tried several times to get financing on a new Stang but it never worked out. I dreamed of a special edition model in my driveway for years. A few stand out as ones that drove me crazy such as the 2000 Cobra R, 04 terminator and new retro concept car, Saleens and Roush' and of course in 07 the Shelby's came back.
Then in 2011 the BOSS 302 came back and I went berzerk. I watched the show on how they brought them back and how great of a car they were suposed to be. I saw a performance white one in my local dealership and went in as much as I could to soak it in before it finally sold. I became freinds with the salesman there and he fully understands how much of a Stang freak I am. a year later and I'm driving by the dealership and there is this Race red BOSS in the showroom with the hockey stick stripes, and my eyes almost popped out of my head. I told myself to stay away as I knew I would never get it anyway. I talked to my wife about me putting money away for a year to put a down payment on a GT as my F150 would be paid off and I could trade it in. She actually said yes and I started an account. A few months later I went into the dealership to talk GT, and the BOSS was still there. Out of curiosity, I asked when was the latest I could order a BOSS 302. He said the production has stopped and what is out there is all thats left.
I crunched some numbers in my head and thought screw it, I'm going to try.
A few days later, on January 7th, my salesman calls me at work and said he and my new BOSS 302 were waiting for me to come and sign the deal.
I put the phone down and actualy cried in the office. My boss told me to go early and sign for the damn car so he wouldn't have to hear about it anymore.
The dealership kept the car in the showroom for 3 months while it was winter, and on March3, 2013 I drove home in my dream car.
This car and I were meant to be togeather and I can honestly say that it is much more than I expected. I will own it forever. I will be 51 when it's paid for.
I love My BOSS because of what it means to me personaly. Not what it might be worth later on or what other people think of it. There will be better models to come, but Hellboy was built just for me and he will stay with me until one of us dies!

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
I use to believe sex was the ultimate climax of human joy, that is until I bought this car and took it for a ride.

Besides, I can drive it for much more than three minutes...

TMO Supporting Vendors