The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Why does my brake disc look like this?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Those are definitely hot spots, causes...?? maybe the pads are dragging, wheel bearing getting loose, did you replace and lube all of the caliper hardware when you installed them? That was a constant maintenance area for us.

Ugh....
Doesn't seem like pads are dragging.
New pads and rotors in September and haven't made a trackday since. Been my DD.
Both sides look exactly the same.
Guess I'll have to take them off to clean and lube everything and check wheel bearings. Are the rotors toast? Can I turn them?
Maybe I'm the guy that needs ducts for the street? :eek:

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Did you bed in the pads IAW Pagid instructions?

I have seen the same build up if not properly bed in.

I fixed this by removing the rotors and sanding with a DA and course sand paper then bending.

Pagids are a great pad but demand a proper bed in.

I get areas like that on my rotors with the Pagids all the time, especially until after a few sessions to get them bedded in. I wouldn't worry about it unless you are getting a shudder or pulsation in the brake pedal.

we over maintain our brakes and EVERY time we touch them, we go over the hardware thoroughly and clean and lube it, sometimes as many as 5 times per weekend.
We head off a ton of problems that way.
Now that I think about it (because things like this keep me up at night) that could quite possibly be a bed-in issue, so follow the instructions to the letter they are not all the same procedure.

Haha looks like I had a brain fart and posted this in the wrong thread! :-[ I'll remove the post to avoid confusion lol.
Tracy, I meant towing the boss.
I moved the question to this thread.

Thanks guys!
Yes I followed the bed in instructions. No ducts yet.
Gonna clean them, relube hardware and rebed. Hopefully that helps.
No shake or shudder.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel