The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Why does the new Ford GT exist?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

First let me say that I love Ford. My first car was a 1966 Thunderbird. I’ve owned 3 Mustangs and an F150 since.

As Ford fans, we all love watching the GTs carve up racetracks around the world. It’s drop dead gorgeous too! Of course there was the LeMans repeat victory. Seeing Ford on top at the world’s most prestigious races has been pretty great. But it’s not like I can go buy one. Not new anyway. Sure it’s got the 3.5 turbo V6 but is that the reason for its existence? To prove that technology?

The GT is light years ahead of the Mustang - even a GT350R. And it’s not really even for sale. So why build it? Why campaign it? It ain’t cheap that’s for sure. So why? Why does it exist?
[emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First let me say that I love Ford. My first car was a 1966 Thunderbird. I’ve owned 3 Mustangs and an F150 since.

As Ford fans, we all love watching the GTs carve up racetracks around the world. It’s drop dead gorgeous too! Of course there was the LeMans repeat victory. Seeing Ford on top at the world’s most prestigious races has been pretty great. But it’s not like I can go buy one. Not new anyway. Sure it’s got the 3.5 turbo V6 but is that the reason for its existence? To prove that technology?

The GT is light years ahead of the Mustang - even a GT350R. And it’s not really even for sale. So why build it? Why campaign it? It ain’t cheap that’s for sure. So why? Why does it exist?
[emoji848]

Same reason why they did in the 60s
Although now, it was built to prove they still can beat more powerful and more expensive cars at many races and mainly lemans.
Call it a truck engine if you like, say it doesn’t sound good. Call it just a V6
I say it’s brilliant and beautiful and makes perfect sense.
Sure it’s exclusive and expensive, why would it not be?

Same reason why they did in the 60s
Although now, it was built to prove they still can beat more powerful and more expensive cars at many races and mainly lemans.
Call it a truck engine if you like, say it doesn’t sound good. Call it just a V6
I say it’s brilliant and beautiful and makes perfect sense.
Sure it’s exclusive and expensive, why would it not be?

I agree with all of that. Basically, it’s because they can. But ultimately, so what?

Producing an exotic car “because you can” doesn’t seem to make sense from a business standpoint.

Does it help sell more cars and trucks? Is there enough trickle down technology to make it worth it?

Ferrari does it as their bread and butter. F1 and GT Racing is what they are all about. Porsche too (mostly). Chevy does almost the same thing with the Corvette competing in similar classes. However, for Chevy they get massive benefit across platforms they actually sell, yet they have no exotic in their portfolio.

I love the Ford GT and respect it for what it is. Hell - I flew to LeMans to watch it win in 2016. It was epic. Still.....?

It exists because its part of the Ford's racing history. They didn't build it for the mass market. People asked why the Mustang still existed from 1975 to 78 and thankfully Ford wanted to keep it's history alive although it almost became the Probe. The FOX body returned in 79 and keep it alive for another 15 years.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
If you are asking the questions and talking about the brand. You are not alone. That’s part of the reasoning behind the GT. $400K+ per copy, that’s another. International recognition as a proven race winner.
You dont think the developmental costs for the Boss were made back by selling a limited numbers of the car for two years, do you? LOL It’s all about brand. To some extend the win on Sunday sell on Monday influence is still alive and well. Folks go the the showroom to seek the winners car/brand, even if they can’t buy it. Many then buy the winning brand at the level they can.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
7000+ copies of two street variants plus race versions.

If the development costs were 3k a copy they would have $21 mil for all development costs. Suspension, engine, graphics, wheels and exhaust were one offs. Cost of CARB approval for the red key. Factory support to RACE teams. Just a guess, but I would think costs were more.
Throw in the costs to replace engines lost on track, fixes for clutch/trans issues etc. seeing return on investment solely from Boss sales seems skinny to me. I could be wrong.
The value to brand was likely much more than spent on Boss development.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I think you're misunderstanding me. Your estimate of $3k per Boss is far below what Ford would get from the sales of all the Bosses. I'm pretty sure that Boss sales paid for all development and production costs plus all the extras like Track Attack and our owners kit.

The GT was build for one purpose, to win Le Mans in 2016 and amazingly Ford accomplished that goal. As a Ford fan the greatest moment in Ford's racing history was winning Le Mans in 1966, shoot maybe in all of American automotive racing history. To me that is reason enough. I've thoroughly enjoyed watching the GT run over the past three seasons and I believe we only have one more year to watch the car compete, and win, globally. Enjoy it while you can!

7000+ copies of two street variants plus race versions.

If the development costs were 3k a copy they would have $21 mil for all development costs. Suspension, engine, graphics, wheels and exhaust were one offs. Cost of CARB approval for the red key. Factory support to RACE teams. Just a guess, but I would think costs were more.
Throw in the costs to replace engines lost on track, fixes for clutch/trans issues etc. seeing return on investment solely from Boss sales seems skinny to me. I could be wrong.
The value to brand was likely much more than spent on Boss development.

Now the BOSS makes sense, even if they lost money in development costs. That brought significant attention to the Mustang. Not to mention trickle down tech that is now in current Mustangs. The GT - not so much that I can see. But at $400k a copy, maybe it was worth it.

Thanks guys for your indulgence on this random topic. So the jury is out and we have it our conclusions.

The GT exists for the following reasons:
1. Because Ford can and they can sit at the big boy table anytime they want to
2. It’s a halo product
3. It draws customers to the brand
4. It’s badass (duh)
5. Do we need anymore reasons? Nope.

TMO Supporting Vendors