The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Why forged wheels are the best choice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This CCW forged wheel took a massive hit from..I don't know, space aliens or something.. the wheel did not crack and even stayed round. It was downgraded to a rain wheel where there is much less load on the wheel.

wYHOGwUl.jpg

wYHOGwUl.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
I get the benefit but it's tough to justify the cost when I can buy an entire set of Enkeis (which aren't the same caliber of wheel, but get the job done) for the price of a single CCW or Forgeline wheel.

Granted, I've replaced a few Enkeis due to bends but none have failed catastrophically and I'm still nowhere near close to spending the $4-5K for a set of real, forged wheels.

I would love to have some forged wheels, but for the budget racer or HPDE warrior, there are many other things where you are getting a lot more bang for your buck.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Imgur strikes again, for whatever reason only 1 pic will post.
In any case, I understand your point of view, however as has been said, you need to buy all the safety you can afford, with frequent inspections most quality wheels will work, but they won't have as long of a life and if they do take a big hit, they may catastrophically fail.
This is the biggest hit I've ever seen without a failure

Fair

Go Big or Go Home
Supporting Vendor
Plano, TX
I am a dealer for Forgeline, CCW, Weld, and Fiske forged wheels, among others. Problem is I cannot afford to run forged wheels for my own race cars. :/ Those tend to cost 3-4 times as much as a Forgestar flow formed/custom machined wheel.

_DSF1357%20copy-M.jpg

We were one of the first shops to start using WIDE flow formed racing wheels on a Mustang, starting with D-Force in 2010 and Forgestar in 2012.

DSC_3898-M.jpg

We put 5 seasons on some of the first wheels we ordered from Forgestar in 18x12" wheel. Ran them with 345 A7 Hoosiers, lots of downforce, banked tracks and bumpy road courses. My wife took a big FAI curb sideways at 100 mph and a bent a front wheel, but it folded up nicely and saved the front subframe/suspension of the car. Couldn't have asked for a better failure.

GTA-crash-RA-M.jpg

I also bent another front wheel in a crash at 150+ mph at Road Atlanta (lost brakes going down the hill into 10A, jumped out of the sand trap at 100+). Again, it was a massive shunt that put the car 3' in the air, crushed a vertebrae, and ripped the front splitter off. I'm glad the wheel bent, soaking up some impact energy.

My point is all wheels have a failure point and most alumium wheels can and do fail in "good ways". Other than one clown in an S2000 (who lied about a lot of previous impacts) I haven't seen many unusual failures on flow formed wheels like the Forgestar.

Braid_alfa4C_fullrace_2_zps6ptymqqe-M.jpg

Again, we're a dealer for Forgeline, and HRE, Braid, CCW, Fikse, Enkei, Weld and others. I do like the slightly better strength-to-weight ratio of forged wheels, but the cost-to-weight ratio still stings. If I had the $$$ I'd run em... the Forgeline and CCW forged wheels are baller AF! :)

TMO Supporting Vendors