The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Why you should check your wheels religiously

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This is what I found when I did my post-event wheel cleaning and inspection. This had to have happened while on the track at Palmer but I never noticed it until this weekend. I didn't go off track or even hit anything that I can recall, but you can see the spoke is cracked all the way through.

Enkei is replacing it for free as they have a lifetime warranty.

Wheel pic.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Must be a QC problem in a batch of those. After I heard of the first two, I wouldn't buy that size.

Your picture looks like a casting problem called 'cold shut' or lack of fusion in two merging metal streams. That little curve at the top/out face side is tell-tale.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Yes the 18x9.5 PF01s seem to have this issue somewhat "regularly". I have not seen any issues with the 18x10.5s; guessing due to the additional barrel width and/or additional material at the mounting flange.

If you have the 9.5s, keep a close eye on them!

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
BTW @Boss302RI -- can you share the contact info for the Enkei person you talked to? I don't have any cracked wheels but I do have a handful of BENT ones from hitting curbing or potholes on-track...not sure if they would warranty that but it's worth a shot.

Yes there have been several 18x9.5" Enkei PF01's that have cracked in the same position. Fortunately they crack and don't have catastrophic failure. Regardless I would not buy any new ones. Apex will be a better option for sure. If you have these wheels I wouldn't worry too much about it just check them often.

Last edited:
Sorry for the later response to ArizonaBoss - I didn't speak with anyone at Enkei. I worked with Summit Racing customer service and they replaced it right away after reading the warranty. I'm sure they connected with Enkei directly.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel