The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

WI / IL area track days

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Wisconsin
New member here but did track days in our now retired NSX for the last 5 years. Got a 2021 mach1 HP and ready to run the tracks late 2022. We’ve done 34 track days ( 18 at RA, 4 at BHF & 12 at Autobahn ) with the NSX so I will be on a learning curve with the mustang. I’m in the intermediate group the last 3 years but the mach1 could put me in novice a track day or 2. Hope to maybe meet some of the people here at the tracks. Velocity Blue mach1 with silver F350 and 24 foot ATC trailer. Cheers !!!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Wisconsin
New member here but did track days in our now retired NSX for the last 5 years. Got a 2021 mach1 HP and ready to run the tracks late 2022. We’ve done 34 track days ( 18 at RA, 4 at BHF & 12 at Autobahn ) with the NSX so I will be on a learning curve with the mustang. I’m in the intermediate group the last 3 years but the mach1 could put me in novice a track day or 2. Hope to maybe meet some of the people here at the tracks. Velocity Blue mach1 with silver F350 and 24 foot ATC trailer. Cheers !!!
Got any dates lined up? I've got BHF next month and RA in August. Hopefully get 1 more in June or July.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Wisconsin
Got any dates lined up? I've got BHF next month and RA in August. Hopefully get 1 more in June or July.
We got the weekend of August 20 & 21 at BFR with Northwoods Shelby Club on the calendar. Hopefully RA in September but not signed up yet. Maybe Autobahn in June / July but first I need to get my break in miles on ( only 510 miles now ) and sort out the tie down procedure in the trailer. I have April & May for shake down so it may work out, we’ll see.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Wisconsin
Tie down with a S550 is simplest by adding the Ford tie down hooks. They bolt on by the pinch welds to already existing threaded holes.
I have those FP brackets in mind if I can get to their location but there are behind the wheels & that could be a pain to get access to. I also got the Steeda chassis mounted plates in mind but I don’t want to modify the belly pan to mount the front one. Again, access will be the determining factor in which way I go. I use Mac’s tie down equipment on my other car in the enclosed trailer & preferably go with snap hooks rather than the open end ones. I haven’t got the mach1 even in the trailer yet so I’m in search mode now. Thanks for the suggestion

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Yes, the Ford tiedowns are a pain to get to in the trailer. So I don’t. I attach the straps to the car outside the trailer and secure them front and rear to my toe hooks with spring clamps and drive in or out of the trailer. Before I had the toe hooks, I rolled the straps and tucked them into one of the vent holes on the rear defuser and between the splitter and bumper in front. They only have to stay in place for 20’ or so. When the car is in the trailer the straps are right there and tieing down is easy.

471F743F-21CD-494B-AFE7-C535C82FDD80.jpeg

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Wisconsin
Yes, the Ford tiedowns are a pain to get to in the trailer. So I don’t. I attach the straps to the car outside the trailer and secure them front and rear to my toe hooks with spring clamps and drive in or out of the trailer. Before I had the toe hooks, I rolled the straps and tucked them into one of the vent holes on the rear defuser and between the splitter and bumper in front. They only have to stay in place for 20’ or so. When the car is in the trailer the straps are right there and tieing down is easy.

View attachment 73340
So you attach the hooks to the tie downs while the car is on the ramp of your trailer ? there is enough room to squeeze in there ?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Wisconsin

View attachment 73340
In this pic, it appears the straps are crossed and then to the pinch weld rail mounting plates ? Your license plate looks familiar, like i might have seen it at Blackhawk ?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Wisconsin

View attachment 73340
I might entertain the idea of over the tire strap but then again, access to the inside of tire could be a pain And would mean adding more tie down points. I like what i see in your pic, have thought to visually see it in my brain but your pic really really helps. Thanks

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Wisconsin

View attachment 73340
What does your front look like ? Strap clearance under the splitter ? Your set up looks awesome and could prove to be my way to lug this car down and remove all the headaches in doing so. Thanks again TMSBOSS !!

TMSBOSS

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
So you attach the hooks to the tie downs while the car is on the ramp of your trailer ? there is enough room to squeeze in there ?
I attach the hooks before I drive on the ramps. Park the car in the trailer and simply attach the running ends of the straps tp the ratchet and tighten down. The picture above shows the straps while the car in fastened down in the trailer, tow hooks extends through the bumper where the backup light was.
Removing the car from the trailer is easy. Disconnect the straps from the ratchets and loop the running ends of the straps through the hooks and clamp with a spring clamp.

TMSBOSS

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
What does your front look like ? Strap clearance under the splitter ? Your set up looks awesome and could prove to be my way to lug this car down and remove all the headaches in doing so. Thanks again TMSBOSS !!
The front is similar. Plenty of room for straps once in the trailer. The picture below shows the car in the trailer as it travels. The jack is secured between the two front tow hooks with a small self retracting stray I loop through the two side handles on the jack. Straps should always be cross if you have enough strap and room to do so. I have Race Ramps which level out the ramp for loading and unloading. No clearance issues. Again, just pull the straps tight, loop them through the tow hooks and clamp them in place with spring clamps. Before I had the tow hooks I folded the straps to make them thicker and put the strap between the splitter and the bumper. It wont stay there when driving but did stay in place lone enough to load or unload the trailer. If your straps are longer you may be able to secure the running end under the hood. Mine are not. The cord is for the battery tender I run off solar panels. Battery is Always fresh.......Now.

IMG_4920[1].JPG

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Wisconsin
The front is similar. Plenty of room for straps once in the trailer. The picture below shows the car in the trailer as it travels. The jack is secured between the two front tow hooks with a small self retracting stray I loop through the two side handles on the jack. Straps should always be cross if you have enough strap and room to do so. I have Race Ramps which level out the ramp for loading and unloading. No clearance issues. Again, just pull the straps tight, loop them through the tow hooks and clamp them in place with spring clamps. Before I had the tow hooks I folded the straps to make them thicker and put the strap between the splitter and the bumper. It wont stay there when driving but did stay in place lone enough to load or unload the trailer. If your straps are longer you may be able to secure the running end under the hood. Mine are not. The cord is for the battery tender I run off solar panels. Battery is Always fresh.......Now.

View attachment 73358
3D016BD9-54D8-4BAB-BECF-63AA5895EDB3.jpegABA01F0C-5DAD-4B72-B398-B7FBA22C918D.jpeg Thanks for the pic. I’m just so use to pulling the retired track car into the trailer, get it into position and snap the hooks onto the factory supplied tie down lugs & tighten up and done. I’m in the learn mode and appreciate your advice and photos. I have a similar tow hook in the front of the mach1 but not the rear.

TMO Supporting Vendors