The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

WI / IL area track days

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Wisconsin
Hey all! I’m local to Chicagoland area. Will be joining in some events asap - I have 22 GT and opted out of pp1 so I need to upgrade to 6 pistons before I hit a track day. Managed to upgrade suspension, sway bars, and some power mods too. Will probably be looking for a group of people to join

edit: PFA

View attachment 86207
Welcome!!! Blackhawk would be a good place to start. Their track days are awesome. Not huge speeds to it's a bit easier to take it all in as you get started. The S550 6 are super cheap. You can get them on rock auto for under 600.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Chicago
Welcome!!! Blackhawk would be a good place to start. Their track days are awesome. Not huge speeds to it's a bit easier to take it all in as you get started. The S550 6 are super cheap. You can get them on rock auto for under 600.
I’ve seen that actually! Just been buying parts as time allows. I’ve done a lot the last 2 months 😂 I see the PP1 brakes in the rear are different part numbers. Is that just because of the black paint? No difference in caliper or rotor?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Wisconsin
Anyone test the e85 available at local stations outside RA recently? Will be doing my first track day running e85 Monday 22nd and trying to figure out logistics. Don't want to drive 75minutes w jugs of e85 in my trunk, but looks like there is a Kwik Trip less than 10min from the track that has e85 per https://afdc.energy.gov/fuels/ethanol_locations.html#/find/nearest?fuel=E85

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Chicago
We won’t be there on that Friday but will be there next Monday the 5th enjoying the full closed circuit road course doing the HPDE stuff with LAPS, Inc.
Sweet! Look like I would be the only group 1 rookie on Friday. So might take advantage of that and get my first time jitters out of the way. I’ll try to sign up for the 5th too

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Wisconsin
With my car down (transmission) I wont be on track until the big Northwoods weekend in June/July. However we should be running all 4 days of that event.

Just came back from Autobahn on Thursday, love that place. Got to drive a GT500 and set a 1:34. felt good about that. Video coming soon.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Chicago
With my car down (transmission) I wont be on track until the big Northwoods weekend in June/July. However we should be running all 4 days of that event.

Just came back from Autobahn on Thursday, love that place. Got to drive a GT500 and set a 1:34. felt good about that. Video coming soon.
I will deff be checking that video out!
Are there any things I should make sure to take care of before I sign up/go to my first event? I’m speaking of lesser known things or things about the track itself?
I installed my brembo upgrade a few weeks back with Powerstop z26 and they’re working great. Just ordered their track day pads for front and rear - plan to use 80 grit on my rotors Thursday evening and install the track day pads.
Also going to add a small section of header wrap on the exhaust by the diff to hopefully keep those temps down - I know I won’t be pushing the car to the limits on my first day but better safe than sorry.
Then going to pack a tool bag with necessities that have been mentioned in a million other threads. Possibly make a check list for when I’m there just to be sure of everything.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Wisconsin
I will deff be checking that video out!
Are there any things I should make sure to take care of before I sign up/go to my first event? I’m speaking of lesser known things or things about the track itself?
I installed my brembo upgrade a few weeks back with Powerstop z26 and they’re working great. Just ordered their track day pads for front and rear - plan to use 80 grit on my rotors Thursday evening and install the track day pads.
Also going to add a small section of header wrap on the exhaust by the diff to hopefully keep those temps down - I know I won’t be pushing the car to the limits on my first day but better safe than sorry.
Then going to pack a tool bag with necessities that have been mentioned in a million other threads. Possibly make a check list for when I’m there just to be sure of everything.
Are you going to Autobahn? Fing love that place. Good friend of mine is a member.

There are some awesome YouTube videos of things to bring and what to prepare for on your first track day.

I would start with smooth is fast. Work on smooth braking.... 80% at first initial application. then 70,60,50,30,20, 10 let off and turn. I know that seems easy however it total opposite of what you do on the road. Take some people a bit to get used to it.

Next work on keeping your hands at 10and2, again sounds easy however you can watch 5 videos of people on track and watch them shuffle there hands around. By doing this you do NOT have control of the car.

The ride along I just did with the GT500 my friend was doing all of these and that is why I wanted to share.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Chicago
Are you going to Autobahn? Fing love that place. Good friend of mine is a member.

There are some awesome YouTube videos of things to bring and what to prepare for on your first track day.

I would start with smooth is fast. Work on smooth braking.... 80% at first initial application. then 70,60,50,30,20, 10 let off and turn. I know that seems easy however it total opposite of what you do on the road. Take some people a bit to get used to it.

Next work on keeping your hands at 10and2, again sounds easy however you can watch 5 videos of people on track and watch them shuffle there hands around. By doing this you do NOT have control of the car.

The ride along I just did with the GT500 my friend was doing all of these and that is why I wanted to share.
I will 100% try all this. I’m normally a 9-3 hand position is that equally as effective? Or should I shift to 10-2? I’ve been trying to get into the habit during my daily driving of 9-2 and only moving my right hand to shift

edit: sorry forgot to answer the first question. 😂 yes to autobahn. SCCA track day this coming Friday

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Wisconsin

Hope you get it all sorted out @Vettel-ish and make the NWSC event. We will be there for the Saturday July 1st event. We just got back from Autobahn, we were there on this past Monday. First time there with the Mach 1, but was there before with the retired track car so I know the track sorta well enough to really push the mustang. We had the full track that day so 3.5 miles of FUN !! We love that place. We’re back there on July 10th for another full track event.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Chicagoland
Hope you get it all sorted out @Vettel-ish and make the NWSC event. We will be there for the Saturday July 1st event. We just got back from Autobahn, we were there on this past Monday. First time there with the Mach 1, but was there before with the retired track car so I know the track sorta well enough to really push the mustang. We had the full track that day so 3.5 miles of FUN !! We love that place. We’re back there on July 10th for another full track event.
You guys had good weather Monday. Had a mishap prepping my car the day before like an idiot and wasn’t able to make it

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Wisconsin
10-2
I will 100% try all this. I’m normally a 9-3 hand position is that equally as effective? Or should I shift to 10-2? I’ve been trying to get into the habit during my daily driving of 9-2 and only moving my right hand to shift

edit: sorry forgot to answer the first question. 😂 yes to autobahn. SCCA track day this coming Friday

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel