The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Wide open upper grill with GT surround

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This came out of necessity, but it has turned out to work quite well. Several things lead me down this road.

Back when my car was NA, my stock grill with the foglights cut out still resulted in 250F coolant temps at Sebring and AMP on 90-100F days.

My stock grill was damaged.

I put a blower on and wanted more airflow to keep the car from overheating.

I came up with this:
bossfrontvmptvs.jpg

I later perfected it by stuffing some 1/2" foam from mcmaster (PN 85175K89) into the top and sides. Back at sebring I pulled the entire grill as the manual suggests and did not like how the hood fluttered at 120mph+. This seems to be a better solution, as it keeps too much air from going in the grill. The foam also blocks off the hood latch area but still allows you to use it, I was careful to make sure it did not interfere with latching operation.

bossfoamtop.jpg

bossfoam1.jpg

bossfoam2.jpg

The GT grill surrfound is around $85 wholesale from ford and comes flat black, the PN is AR3Z-8419-AA. I stole the surround from another car and broke some of the clips in the process, but a new one should be more flexible. I made a small bracket to put the pony back in the grill.

When I damaged the stock grill I was just going to do a 13 front end conversion for the different look and improved airflow between the grill and hood, but this setup is turning out to be very functional, though kind of utilitarian looking.

10.5 front and 11 rear. John Strauss drove my car at Sebring and said the extra tire made a noticeable difference. I kind of want an 11.5 in the rear so I use more of the 315s, but I'm not sure if it will mess up the balance....

Justin@VMP said:
10.5 front and 11 rear. John Strauss drove my car at Sebring and said the extra tire made a noticeable difference. I kind of want an 11.5 in the rear so I use more of the 315s, but I'm not sure if it will mess up the balance....
Nice, thanks. So the front offset doesn't require spacers I assume. Which tires and sizes are you using? Any mods to the suspension especially up front for those wheels to fit? All the local Z06 drivers use those wheels with huge tires on them. I think they run 305 front and 335 rear.

isrboss

Justin, how long during a session can you run the car hard with the supercharger. I would always be nervous tracking a bolt on supercharged car.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel